Default Fuel pump tick noise.

Needing help. I have a sbc with hyd. cam, we are running a mech. fuel pump, and we are getting a tick noise from the fuel pump area. We have changed the fuel pump 4 times, relaced the fuel pump push rod 3 times, and have changed camshafts 2 times. The tick noise is still there. We were told to find a high volume fuel pump that has a wear pad on the arm, that will take care of the noise. I have looked for the fuel pump, and I cant find one with the wear pad, except for an inline 6 cylinder. My question is this, has anybody heard of this problem? What is the cure. Other then running an electric pump. We have took the mech. pump off and ran the fuel out of the carb. and no noise was heard. that's why we think it's coming from the fuel pump area. Any help on this matter would be great. Thanks to all in advance.

Have you checked to see how loose the pump rod is in the block? Wondering if there may be an issue with the block hole itself letting the rod bounce off the sides.

Check the length of the bolt going in through the front of the block that is just there to stop the oil from coming out of the fuel pump cavity. Too long of a bolt will hit the fuel pump pushrod and could cause a noise.

just getting this noise at an idle??? is so its normal, you aren't using enough fuel at idle to keep the push rod and/or fuel pump lever in contact with the cam lobe. you are running gas and don't have a bypass built into the system do ya?? the excess fuel has nowhere to go so it holds everything up off the cam till the fuel is used up.

We might have fixed the problem, but thanks to all that reply. Took the HV fuel pump off and put a plain jane stock fuel pump on, and the noise is gone. So Kilroy is here, you would be correct. thanks once again to everybody that sent back a reply.