Default Alternator on 604

Is it worth runnin a alternator or is it not needed ?

any ignition guy will tell you that an alternator is a plus to the system but it seems to be a hard sell

Tried it one season , about mid July it decided to catch on fire and fry the ignition system , last time we used one. We either run 16volt or the Speedway Motors ' little black box ' , which converts 12volt to 17volt for the ignition only , about $150 with shipping . May get some tech problems with the 'little black box' as they may think its a traction control , which it isn't.

wow ---that sounds like a bad expieience but i have to think something was not correct in the system or a wire shorted out somewhere--------all of our pavement engines run alternators and we have never had a failure (knock on wood)

It was a dirt car , I think it was probably dirt and corrosion . The 16v or black box are just simpler. A note , with the ' little black box ' I have my drivers carry the page out of the Speedway catalog in their notes so if tech doesn't like it they can show em' what it is.
    Last edited by setup479point2; 03-27-2014 at 06:32 PM.

I run alternators, never a issue, dirt, pavement makes no difference.