Thread: 5th spring

Default 5th spring

Needing some info on a lift bar 5th spring. How do you determine how much to pre load the spring for hot laps? how do you know if its too much or not enough? Iv heard to scale with the spring unloaded? Do i preload the spring at ride height? hike? up on jack stands? Many unanswered questions on this 5th spring and any help is much appreciated

Preload 1/4 inch set at ride height I scale with it in the car but some say remove it done both ways didn't make a difference either way for me.

when would you want to pre load more? and how do you measure that you have pre loaded 1/4 inch?

Best place to start is by contacting your chassis builder or downloading a basic set up sheet from them to get you in the ball game. Typically 1/4" -3/8" preload on a 5th coil.

Preload isn't something you would typically adjust once you have it "right". What is right isn't right for every driver or every engine.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

So when do you know when its "right"? and wouldnt you have to change it from track to track? or no? I personally have no clue, im asking

Quote Originally Posted by Arrington002 View Post
    So when do you know when its "right"? and wouldnt you have to change it from track to track? or no? I personally have no clue, im asking
    It is something you have to experiment with. The stopwatch will tell you. Distance out from the axle is more likely to be a place for you to make track to track adjustments. But there isn't a lot of magic in it. Too soft is slow. Too stiff is slow. There is a lot of wiggle room between there where you wont notice much difference.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2