Default Old School Modified car show

Last edited by DirtClassic; 04-23-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Those where the good old days. You could build a competitive car for around $400. That may sound cheap, but it was around 8 weeks of paychecks in 1960. I remember buying a set of Offy heads for $85, pistons for $40, Isky cam was $85, adjustable lifters $16 and a Webber 11lb flywheel for $30.

Those was the days that wedge was really a wedge, put in on the right side of the front transverse spring. If it pushed, you had too much wedge, if it was loose, you didn't have enough. Them old flat heads only had 3 main bearings and didn't last long if you turned them up at all. You could probably do double dutch with the crank.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    Those where the good old days. You could build a competitive car for around $400. That may sound cheap, but it was around 8 weeks of paychecks in 1960. I remember buying a set of Offy heads for $85, pistons for $40, Isky cam was $85, adjustable lifters $16 and a Webber 11lb flywheel for $30.

Those was the days that wedge was really a wedge, put in on the right side of the front transverse spring. If it pushed, you had too much wedge, if it was loose, you didn't have enough. Them old flat heads only had 3 main bearings and didn't last long if you turned them up at all. You could probably do double dutch with the crank.

Have to agree with you there Bubstr. Those were the good old days for sure. We had the discussion on 4m a few years back regarding our memories of going to the track back then. As a kid, those memories have stuck with me. That is when racetracks were fun also. Figure 8's, hot dog races, clowns playing chicken with the stock cars, daredevils, demolition Derbys, powder puff races, etc....etc....it was always a good time at the track and we never worried about getting home early. People in the pits liked their favourite beer on the fender of the car while working to get the car ready for the next race. The attire you wore were whites but were blacks in a matter of minutes. Lol....yup, that for sure was the good old days....sometimes I wish I could go back in time to relive those memories...A much simpler time....