Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

One thing that Andy hit on is an absolute. No one seems to like to talk about the stupid cheesy worthless loops put into cars these days. With two loops or better yet a tunnel including and not limited too, extra support on the drivers tub near the DS like 1/8 aluminum for example, DS injuries could be dramatically reduced to almost never instead of common.

I don't want to hear anything about the weight penalty either. It's centrally located and has the least effect on handling.

Quote Originally Posted by lovinlatemodels View Post
    I have always run a steel drive shaft with a ball spline made from Wiles and never had any problems did this for 13 years of racing maybe it is wrong set up and in proper maintenance that's is causing the problems I know some people like to stretch there equipment longevity way to long.
    you sir are a very lucky man playing with your life,and please don't take this wrong,I'm not dogging you in any way,
    guys heres the facts as i know them,we run carbon fiber drive shafts in all of our late models,crates and supers,we haven't had any and i mean zero failures with all having ballspline trans,now as far as any ballsplines failing,everyone that I've seen fail has been from lack of maintenance PERIOD,
    TOO EVERYONE OUT THERE PLEASE AS A RACER, OWNER, AND DRIVER,PLEASE AS YOUR FRIEND FROM EXPERIENCE USE A CABON FIBER DRIVE SHAFT FOR ANY AND ALL BALLSPLINE TYPE TRANS,YOUR LIFE IS WORTH 600-800 TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS,i have had a very good friend of mine that the drive shaft came in the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit,he was VERY lucky,it broke his pelvis,almost broke his leg,and took some time to get over,not to mention beat the hell out of the seat and how it didn't get his arm i don't know,GUYS THIS IS A HUGE SAFTEY FACTOR,too all good luck and PLEASE use common sense and be safe out there,all of the testing on the driveshaft(the oldest one)its been through 3 cars,a 430,a 415,and a 450,with plenty of power,all i can speak of is from my experience and there it is,ALL FACT,i forgot to mention,it was a standard trans but the tailshaft housing broke(rubbins racing)yoke fell out and the rear end was still hooked up and rotating,like i said HUGE SAFTEY FACTOR and should be mandatory for all ballspline type trans
    Last edited by grt74; 12-11-2014 at 11:21 PM.

We had a chain of events destroy the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit of a car and nearly destroyed me. We were experimenting with a pull bar, and found out that we didn't have near enough braces to hold the mounts in. It pulled the cross tube that the mounts were attached to (factory installed tube) clean out of the car. In doing so, it pushed the driveshaft into the transmission and broke the bellhousing in half. The transmission came out and the driveshaft went to work on me and the car. Not 100% on what all hit me, but I got it in the shoulder, elbow, and even had a huge bruise on the back of my leg from the floorboard being pushed up into me. I wasn't hurt other than some scrapes and bruises, and probably got hit 10-15 times in a matter of seconds before the driveshaft caught the track and ripped itself out of the car. It completely destroyed the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit and floor board, ripped the hoop out, tore up the x bracing pretty good, broke the LR bell on the rearend, and knocked the rearend fill can off of the deck. I was lucky that this was a lightweight shaft and came apart quickly, but the cost of a Carbon Fiber shaft would have been much cheaper than everything else that had to be fixed.

2 Morals:
    They don't run pullbars in 4-bar late models anymore for a reason.
    And make sure your loop is in the right place. Take into consideration any movement due to something breaking and pulling back on the driveshaft.