Default Memphis-Arkansas speedway

I came across this little while ago. Memphis-Arkansas speedway(not a nice word)– LeHi – 1 ½ mile dirt. The track opened on October 9th, 1954, and operated until 1957, when it was sold to a local farmer. The owners intended to pave the track but could not afford the $100,000 price tag, and the dirt surface proved to be unmanageable. The NASCAR Grand National circuit visited the track several times in 1955 and 1956. Alleged to be a very dangerous track. Clint McHugh & Cotton Priddy both lost their lives here. Track abandoned sometime in the 1960s. Memphis-Arkansas Speedway, Turns 3 Drive, Proctor, AR 72376.....Don't know if this been talked about on here in the pass I'm sure it has but couldn't find it the search, didn't look to hard tho. Has any old timer on here been there or knew someone that has. What yall think in this day of time having 1 1/2 mile dirt track. Would it be way to dangers to race on or with today's technology it could take away lot of the danger. Just seeing what yall imput about 1 1/2 mile dirt track the pros and cons of it.

Con - to hard on motors, the hanging rpm's would be horrible. Safety would really have to be looked at . With that said id still pay to see it in person atleast once.

I wouldn't mind seen in it once a year for late models, sprints, mods, big block mods, stingers spread out over 4-6 mth period. Put a very nice sweet pay outs. What kind of specs would have for mins. Motor damage and tire wear to pull off 50 lap show.

The banking of the track is still clearly visible from I-40. It's around the 270 Mile Marker,and you can see banking on the south end as well. I understand it was pretty high banked as well. Today's Sprints and Late Models would be brutally fast on it for sure.
    Formerly 66#1

You can see it very well on google maps. I can't figure out how to copy the image and post it from my iPad.

You can put that idea to rest. Nobody has the balz to run the mile track in Springfield,Il anymore. Guys say it's too hard on the motors. That's understandable but I really think the speeds are just way too fast in todays World. By the end of it's racing history, only a few guys were fast at the mile. Birky, Miller, Shirley and a couple others still got it done. The rest were just there for the entertainment.
    Would love to see a race on a one and a 1/2 mile track and would make the drive for one but doubt you'll ever see that happen.
    8/13/16

Some google earth images throughout the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you go to Google Earth and use the ruler at the top of the page, you can get a rough measurement of the track. Yes, it's definitely a one and a half mile configuration. From the farthest point north in the corner to the farthest point south in the other corner, it measures .65 miles
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    You can put that idea to rest. Nobody has the balz to run the mile track in Springfield,Il anymore. Guys say it's too hard on the motors. That's understandable but I really think the speeds are just way too fast in todays World. By the end of it's racing history, only a few guys were fast at the mile. Birky, Miller, Shirley and a couple others still got it done. The rest were just there for the entertainment.Would love to see a race on a one and a 1/2 mile track and would make the drive for one but doubt you'll ever see that happen.
    It might be the only way to get Birky to race again, he wouldn't pass up chance to race on a 1 1/2 super high bank track.

I can't even imagine the speeds they would reach entering the corner. Scary stuff.
    8/13/16

Exclamation neck exercises

Break out the binoculars !!

Thanks for the thread, I love this ghost track stuff.
    RACE HARD RACE OFTEN

In 1955, Tiny Lund flipped and was thrown from his car at Memphis-Arkansas, getting banged up big time........Ironically, Tiny's '55 chevy was owned and sponsored by the Rupert Safety Belt Co. (Carl Rupert)

Steve Rogers of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette did a great article on the track back in the late 90's. I clipped it out,and also made a copy of it. I lost it somewhere along the way though.

It was a great article. Mr. Eubanks who owned the land was interviewed,as well as other family members. Hooker Hood was featured in it also. I think the article mentioned that the stands stood until the early 70's,but one family member caught the wind just right and finally burned them.

I measured the track on Google Maps as 1.53 miles. Wow! And it had 20 degree banking as well! Gumbo too? It would be scary fast if they ever got it watered right.
    Formerly 66#1