Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default first bristol dirt race

Scanning through youtube I found there is finally a video of the first bristol dirt race.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u4NKQUBSQuM

Bloomer had weight issues then too! LOL

Shows how ignorant people really are. Bloomer was 3rd quick qualifier (I think). They were all told which entrance to go in after qualifying. He went in to the infield by turn 4. Bad move. He was DQed No weight problem. You were not there Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by loose_is_fast View Post
    Bloomer had weight issues then too! LOL

First of all , thank you Zyoung25 for finding the video. I have ask several times over the years on this web site, where the video was. No one could ever produce it. If you are a Bloomer fan, you will see one the great driving jobs of all time. Haven't watched it yet ,but if memory serves me correct, he was DQed. He started last in his heat, past enough cars to qualify for the C main. In the C Main he past enough cars to qualify for the B main. In the B main he past enough cars to qualify for the A main. In the A main he past about half the field, went in and changed a tire, came back out and I think he finished about 7th. Now I'll watch the video and see how my memory is. I apologize if I have Oldtimers disease.

I'm not a bloomer fan at all, but I do respect him lol. He tells on there why he had been fighting being light at the scales on there, it was a fuel problem. They DQ'D him at bristol for making one too many laps during qualifications. It just shows the feature though.

I've been looking for years myself for some sort of video, everyone always said there was no tape, I wasn't sure. This morning I just typed in UDTRA and it came up in the related video's, shows it was just published June 4th, 2015.

I just couldn't get over the speeds they were going. That track would have to be smooth as glass with today's cars, or there wouldn't be anything of one by the end.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 06-27-2015 at 04:28 PM.

I looked for the video over the years myself. Glad you found it. By the way, Bloomer didn't do an extra lap. After qualifying they were supposed to go in to the infield at the end of the backstretch before turn 3. Bloomer drove around turn 3 and 4 and went in at the beginning of the frontstrech.
    Made his night a whole lot tougher. I wish they would have shown the heats and C and B mains. Over the years I have found a few of the heats on you tube. Thanks again

Man those cars looked good and what about those chassis brands good old GRT Warrior those were some good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by drano View Post
    Man those cars looked good and what about those chassis brands good old GRT Warrior those were some good old days.
    No problem Mitch.

This was my thought when I watched the race, those cars were sweet looking. I had watched the Dixie shootout from 2002 as well. That race was a big one to win at that time. I can't believe it just pays to 10k now days.

was there. had a great time...

Easy Einstein, I was just talking about his interview not that race. Someone needs some thicker skin. I wasn't being ignorant just pokin fun don't get your panties bunched up

If they had that race again, would there be more or less fans? Obviously less cars (my guess is 125 for $50,000 to win). Around the same amount of fans maybe a couple thousand less.

Quote Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
    was there. had a great time...
    I envy you Mr.Smith. I remember me and my dad wanted to go, BUT the following weekend was the dream. Dad could only take off for that weekend, so we missed out on both races they had there. I was just a young pup then, around 13 or 14.

Quote Originally Posted by cjp0354 View Post
    If they had that race again, would there be more or less fans? Obviously less cars (my guess is 125 for $50,000 to win). Around the same amount of fans maybe a couple thousand less.
    I think there would be more fans. Look at how the crowds have grown at most of the bigger races now days compared to back then. It would be something to see no doubt, I just don't see it ever happening again though.

Quote Originally Posted by cjp0354 View Post
    I can't speak to how many people were there for the first dirt races at Bristol, but I do know that any time there's a big race in this area the stands are overflowing with fans. I'd be shocked if there wasn't more this time around than then if it ever did happen again.

them right rear popping off lol.

yeah punk I think they would easily pack in 60k+ crowd today. it would be sweet if they did bristol at least every 5 years 100 lapper. speeds would be crazier today.

I went the second year with the wife to all three nights. Think one of the nights is when Ole Freddy beat or got beat by Bloomer right at the end. Wasn't bad racing, and they changed the wheel rules. Was only steel rims allowed, not the lightweight ones.

Also year Mike Gault destroyed a car. And Randle got booted by Schlieper for driving like a tool. Awesome facilities, we had awesome Davey Allison section seats with backs. Two seats was one, not that it mattered.

Would most definitely go back.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

It has been said the cost to do it, and damaging the pavement track is why they haven't done it again.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    yeah punk I think they would easily pack in 60k+ crowd today. it would be sweet if they did bristol at least every 5 years 100 lapper. speeds would be crazier today.
    Yes, I most definitely think it would attract more fans. Three nights, good purses, good prices, bam.

I was there as well. One of the last trips I took with my dad.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

I was there too. Balzano had em covered till he broke a wheel like many did.