Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

If this is the break out year of technology in dirt racing with this run the Rumleys are on than you can kiss dirt racing as we have known it of the past good bye, you will no longer need a good mechanic they will be searching for engineers, the drivers will become glorified jockeys every thing will become very generic you will have basically have nascar on dirt, trust me I was involved in nascar at one time before the engineers took over back when it was more man and machine and the evolution has ruined the sport in my eyes and I would really hate to see that happen to dirt racing but I guess it is inevitably but it will be sad.

Yes the engineering will infiltrate dirt late model racing in an increasing manner, but somebody will have to pay for it! Rumley has said he was going to need something to replace his engineers salary at his previous job and he will be looking. The salary he is getting paid as a consultant is much less.

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    Yes the engineering will infiltrate dirt late model racing in an increasing manner, but somebody will have to pay for it! Rumley has said he was going to need something to replace his engineers salary at his previous job and he will be looking. The salary he is getting paid as a consultant is much less.

He could Rocket into a high paying job where his race engineering skills would be a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by NormP View Post
    I'm glad to see it. The more data, the more guys learn about their cars. The more they learn, the more they can do with their cars, as Rumley/Davenport are proving. The more they do, the harder the other guys have to work to catch up. Increased level of competition is great.

One of the big reasons the top of the racing food chain, Formula 1, is so awesome is that they embrace the latest technology they can find. That in turn trickles down to the lower levels like Nascar or ARCA, then eventually to the dirt track. So then you see a legendary season like the one we get to watch JD and his team create.
    NormP, all that you are saying is correct and so true except for one HUGE problem. The more they "learn", the more it cost everyone out here trying to race a dirt late model. All of this "technology" to race for $10k, the same $10k being paid in 1990. $5k shocks, $5k dyno's, $5k devices to tell you force loads on a spring. I guess every team needs a shaker next? For the $3k-4k higher paid local show, no one can afford this. We were ALL worried so much about tires that have changed what $30 each? How about the items I mentioned above. It's really out of hand. The most profitable business in all of Dirt Late Models has to be Dirt on Dirt. The racers themselves make the least.

Quote Originally Posted by deez lug nuts View Post
    He could Rocket into a high paying job where his race engineering skills would be a game changer.
    I see what you did there, too funny and privy to inside info, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by UMPDream View Post
    NormP, all that you are saying is correct and so true except for one HUGE problem. The more they "learn", the more it cost everyone out here trying to race a dirt late model. All of this "technology" to race for $10k, the same $10k being paid in 1990. $5k shocks, $5k dyno's, $5k devices to tell you force loads on a spring. I guess every team needs a shaker next? For the $3k-4k higher paid local show, no one can afford this. We were ALL worried so much about tires that have changed what $30 each? How about the items I mentioned above. It's really out of hand. The most profitable business in all of Dirt Late Models has to be Dirt on Dirt. The racers themselves make the least.
    There is a huge difference between what was payed in 1990 compared to what is payed today.
    Back then there was not as many $10k races as there are today. Today you can run for at least $10k on a weekly basis and many times there are more then one to choose from on the same date
    The local tracks do not have to have the same rules as the touring series.

Let the touring series be something special and if you can not afford to run one of these high priced exotic beast, run at your local tracks that do not allow all of the high priced rules...

Quote Originally Posted by NY DIRT View Post
    There is a huge difference between what was payed in 1990 compared to what is payed today.
    Back then there was not as many $10k races as there are today. Today you can run for at least $10k on a weekly basis and many times there are more then one to choose from on the same date
    The local tracks do not have to have the same rules as the touring series.

Let the touring series be something special and if you can not afford to run one of these high priced exotic beast, run at your local tracks that do not allow all of the high priced rules...
    It will filter down to the local tracks and if the touring series only run one of those exotic beasts when they come to town who will they run against the 10 to 12 regulars on the series.