Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

I preface this all with saying I rarely post because I can't believe how far off base and wild many post are but I have read every post this far on this topic and can't hold back. I have been watching JD/Rumley all year very closely and they are on a roll I believe is much deserved and you can see how the program has evolved since Kevin began focus on the team full time. This is family and driver that's paid their dues. Kevin said himself in his DirtonDirt feature "They (Dirt Late Models) are not designed well at all, really. No disrespect to anybody, but, it's like, the driver and the tires, and the motor have always been picking up the slack. When you start looking at the fundamental problems of these cars and start to solve them, that's when your a half a second faster than the field and that's what we've done this year." JD has consistently mentioned throughout the year that the efforts Kevin has put in on the Shock dyno has been huge to their success. Kevin said that in his feature how important the Proper shock and spring packages are. This is not a real ground breaking moment IMHO as most guys are already focused here. But he went on to say "our fourte is bigger tracks where we can use aerodynamics or body posture..." Which brings me to my first point and I really noticed it more than ever at Florence for the North/South from the in field. Almost the entire way around the track his spoiler apears to be above his roof. JD's body posture was much different from everyone else. Creating what reminds me of a an old wedge car aero package. Most other cars react much different and sit down and the spoiler height drops. And we all know deck height is huge and have all done it and try to sneak an extra inch or two. But Kevin seems to be able to allow the chassis to create that height. Which brings me to my second thought. I watched JD and crew take their car through tech at Florence Friday. I noticed each time the car stopped they would stand behind the car covering the LR suspension (Someone else also mentioned seeing this in a previous post). This also occurred while it was in tech to the point JD got off the 4 wheeler to stand their as his crew guy took off the hood, etc. They did look through the LR suspension in tech and obviously it passed. So I spoke with two nationally known crew chiefs and a touring driver about it. Each believed the LR Birdcage setup and suspension is the change Kevin has made. The driver mentioned he has been testing it (or their own version) the last few weeks and feels as though he has significantly improved his car. As I watched JD all weekend his body posture was quick to react and change and bring the rear of the car up and really kind of stay there. One crew chief said they had tried something similar previously but could not prefect it. I personally and determined to figure this out as well for our team. But I will be studying it much more closely and put a stop watch on it to determine if the advantage is corner speed much like Jimmy Owens brought to light on his quick rise to dominance or where exactly JD is exponentially quicker. Hopefully that will help us pin point it better. But anyway you shape it this is much deserved. Even as impressive as JD has been prior to this year he had never won a crown jewel and to this point in the season he's won them all. And Kevin gave up his full time job to make this run and apply his skills to solve problems he's found side by side with his father who builds their engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer19 View Post
    I preface this all with saying I rarely post because I can't believe how far off base and wild many post are but I have read every post this far on this topic and can't hold back. I have been watching JD/Rumley all year very closely and they are on a roll I believe is much deserved and you can see how the program has evolved since Kevin began focus on the team full time. This is family and driver that's paid their dues. Kevin said himself in his DirtonDirt feature "They (Dirt Late Models) are not designed well at all, really. No disrespect to anybody, but, it's like, the driver and the tires, and the motor have always been picking up the slack. When you start looking at the fundamental problems of these cars and start to solve them, that's when your a half a second faster than the field and that's what we've done this year." JD has consistently mentioned throughout the year that the efforts Kevin has put in on the Shock dyno has been huge to their success. Kevin said that in his feature how important the Proper shock and spring packages are. This is not a real ground breaking moment IMHO as most guys are already focused here. But he went on to say "our fourte is bigger tracks where we can use aerodynamics or body posture..." Which brings me to my first point and I really noticed it more than ever at Florence for the North/South from the in field. Almost the entire way around the track his spoiler apears to be above his roof. JD's body posture was much different from everyone else. Creating what reminds me of a an old wedge car aero package. Most other cars react much different and sit down and the spoiler height drops. And we all know deck height is huge and have all done it and try to sneak an extra inch or two. But Kevin seems to be able to allow the chassis to create that height. Which brings me to my second thought. I watched JD and crew take their car through tech at Florence Friday. I noticed each time the car stopped they would stand behind the car covering the LR suspension (Someone else also mentioned seeing this in a previous post). This also occurred while it was in tech to the point JD got off the 4 wheeler to stand their as his crew guy took off the hood, etc. They did look through the LR suspension in tech and obviously it passed. So I spoke with two nationally known crew chiefs and a touring driver about it. Each believed the LR Birdcage setup and suspension is the change Kevin has made. The driver mentioned he has been testing it (or their own version) the last few weeks and feels as though he has significantly improved his car. As I watched JD all weekend his body posture was quick to react and change and bring the rear of the car up and really kind of stay there. One crew chief said they had tried something similar previously but could not prefect it. I personally and determined to figure this out as well for our team. But I will be studying it much more closely and put a stop watch on it to determine if the advantage is corner speed much like Jimmy Owens brought to light on his quick rise to dominance or where exactly JD is exponentially quicker. Hopefully that will help us pin point it better. But anyway you shape it this is much deserved. Even as impressive as JD has been prior to this year he had never won a crown jewel and to this point in the season he's won them all. And Kevin gave up his full time job to make this run and apply his skills to solve problems he's found side by side with his father who builds their engines.
    Excellent, excellent post

great post freezer. all I can add is more than once a winning team has used a decoy to keep the real secret hid , just saying.......

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    great post freezer. all I can add is more than once a winning team has used a decoy to keep the real secret hid , just saying.......
    True,...........
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

It's really hiding in plain sight.............all the haters are going to be sooooooo disappointed.

Happy for the entire team.
    EVERYBODY HAS A GAME PLAN, UNTIL THEY GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE.......M.T

You know, everyone should shake Kevin, Leroy, and Brian's hand and give them a pat on the back. I am sure a lot of thought, trial and error, hard work, testing, and money has evolved into this TEAMS performance. There is someone always talking about hard work that has been out worked and it shows. Like I posted before great job you deserve what you are getting because I feel they are within the rule book.

After reading Kevins reply on FB we should all feel guilty for taking the short cut and looking. These guys have earned everything they have for this year.

Kevin had the balls to quit his job and take the chance to go on the road with his dad. Whip cream on top is they are winning everything. Including respect. Great job!

It's the other teams job to get faster. The pics give clues but you have to understand the concept. I don't totally agree with posting the pics and copying another mans intellectual data. I feel guilty for even looking.

The other teams will copy and eventually get faster but you can bet the 6 team will not stop and will get even faster too. Somewhere down the road it will even out.

We should all respect what they are doing even if you ae not pulling for them. I am sure there is pressure mounting to keep it going but I hope are enjoying it. Especially for a father and a son!

I feel you bb14. and soon as I see JD I am gone congratulate him in person. your last sentence hit the ole hart string, my dad and I won 14 races in a row back in 2001, and even though he is no longer with me physically, I would not trade that experience for any thing......

Seems like every year its someone different doing all the winning than they just fall off the map for a while other than Bloomer he is always up front

Wow, 14 pages so far. Let's go back a few years to before the "team zero" concept. What did a driver need? He needed a Bloomquist car! Who got one, Jimmy Owens. Who ran 1 and 2 for many years? Scott and Jimmy. Now, what if Scott never sold his "Chassis"? Which, is a point I would like to mention. Kevin Rumley: Awesome in your design from the bottom up! It's the chassis itself men. It's the only thing that is separating the rest of the cars. Everything else is a purchased part of slightly modified thought or idea. No rocket science is happening with the bolt on pieces. Maybe a tenth here or there. It's the CAR and it's design. All chassis are fast out of the box. A few races go by and you see them slow down. Shocks, Springs Geometry, Tires, are all the same. It's the Chassis. And guess what? Because this sport has drivers struggling to make a living, the chassis (Kevin's) will be purchased and reverse engineered like so many others have been over the years. By years end, we will see a few teams catch up. It's not only Scott, when drivers feel like technology is beating them, they go to extremes to find the answers. Too many people talk. In this case because Kevin designed it and he "isn't a driver", the design has stayed under tight wraps.

UMPdream
    I agree but disagree. While the chassis is very good and winning weekly the 6 car is even better. The reason the other teams are frustrated and the 6 team have kept it secret for so long is everything is done in house. Engines by L and the shocks by K. The car itself is the most compliant on the track through the bumps. THe car has unbelievable traction. JD is pushing the right buttons. Kevin has worked hard and the whole team has drank the Kool Aid. All of it is impressive because they are beating or dominating some really smart people. Smart people who are frustrated!

Just like Kevin's FB response. They can copy it but they do not know it as well as Kevin. I feel that it is more than just a great chassis.

bb14,

yes, the whole package is important and yes, adjustments by a crew chief is also very important (kevin) however, let's not think that shocks are doing this. Penske is the best shock company in the world so I doubt if anything is "over their heads". Are they (6) designing their own cylinder heads and intakes? No, but we will leave the engines out of this for a minute because all of the top teams have over 830hp engines. Kool Aid in terms of tire prep? That isn't even a topic to consider in this. Kevin made the comment about copying it, to of course protect his product. I would as well!! Now that he knows it's a success, he would be better off leaving Longhorn (in any type of consultant role) as well! In the end, as long as they dont sell it, they will be elite. Scott would have had that but he sold the seat of his pants feeling. It's all a struggle. And even Kevin can now sell the cars for $50k if he wants but what happens then? Give Kudos to Mark Richards! He created a great business off of selling speed and finding a way to still stay on top!

My post was stating my belief that the setup (balance and shocks) is the key. I did not accuse them of tire prep. I stated many times I feel they are within the rule book. Kool Aid is in reference to the whole team believing in Kevin's package.

The parts that make the 6 fast are already available. Nothing exotic or overly expensive either. It's just the practical application of levers and timing!

Quote Originally Posted by T-MAC39FAN View Post
    Put bloomer and jd in 2 cars set up the same and jd will still smoke his a$$. 2, 5, 10,50,100 laps it doesnt matter.
    Ask Donny Moran how that went years ago!
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

I am going to man up. I give Jd and his crew credit for having an excellent season.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil P. View Post
    Feel any better now?
    Nope. Just the right thing to do. I don't know if they are running illegal or not. But it has to be legal until proven.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Racing #1 View Post
    Nope. Just the right thing to do. I don't know if they are running illegal or not. But it has to be legal until proven.
    Yep, I agree with ya! I wont call it cheatin until its proven. They definitely have an advantage that appears to be too good at all times. But, they better not stop working, as ol Black Sunshine keeps inching closer!

Horsepower,chassis nor driver alone get it done.It took them some time but the Rumley's have matched the chassis and engine to JD's driving style.It's been awile since there was an engine failure.JD has been historically hard on equipment and hasn't been around at the end of a 100 lap race.The current combination seems to have cured those problems.He has been around at the end of a lot of 100 lap races this year,usually at the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil P. View Post
    Toot them Longhorns loudly now... how fast we forget how short lived getting one up on Bloomer is...
    He already has an idea what he needs......one of them Leroy Chebys under the hood! lol

Umpdream, if it was the chassis then why arent the rest of the longhorns as dominant as Davenport/Rumley? And fyi the shock/spring package is something that is kept private on the 6 car. It doesnt get shared with the rest of the longhorn shop!!!