Thread: 4 link Brackets

Default 4 link Brackets

I wonder why a chassis builder hasn't incorporated the climbing mechanism on 4 link brackets?
    Lions don't worry about the opinions of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by 25drtrkr View Post
    I wonder why a chassis builder hasn't incorporated the climbing mechanism on 4 link brackets?
    You have to do it in a way that worn parts could be replaced. There is an aftermarket deal that I think is patented. Not sure how well the guy could really enforce it...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

You talking about the bracket itself or the external parts?

I've made them, but haven't actually used them yet (Still sitting on self, waiting on car to be built). You are sort of limited on travels cause of strength issues with the long slots and they get a little heavy if you try to make them travel a long ways due to the extra material needed to strengthen it like it needs to be. Plus it limits you somewhat on multiple bar lengths on the same bracket, down to 2" increments instead of 1" like holes would.

Mine work just trialing off a car with no load, but not really fully tested and some unforeseen issues could come up.

Are you gonna make them bolt-on or welded on? That would give another option, if need be. It looks like more and more chassis builders are starting to go to bolt-ons.

Do you copy the gear pattern from the jbar stuff, or did you create your own?

Are you gonna make them bolt-on or welded on? That would give another option, if need be. It looks like more and more chassis builders are starting to go to bolt-ons.

Do you copy the gear pattern from the jbar stuff, or did you create your own?
    Bolt in because of the limited range I feel is safe for testing, thus if down the road we feel the need to run different angles then what is allowed in them now it's easy to just buzz out some new ones.

It's probably similar to the normal climbers, but I just did my own size and teeth count wise so I can have reference marks to set degree's on the gear's OD to line up with the brackets so you know exactly where your are. I also have locks in place if needed in case they try to move like the LRU on a rougher track.

It's easy for anyone to do, I just think it's probably more work, cost and weight for how little some guys even move the bars anymore. I'd say that is the reason it's not common
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 12-19-2015 at 04:43 PM.

there was a guy in ky that built a few cars like that.

Not a LM guy but I did some for a mod and they have the same down side to slotted brackets, they are very weak. bumping wheels would let the plate flex to much and throw things off even a big cushion would put enough load in them to cause problems. Not saying they will not work just to delicate for my liking. most people don't understand how much load they see under good conditions let alone rough tracks or the inevitable bumps and rubs. just my opinion
    EFR Motorsports / Team EERC
    www.teameerc.com
    erik@teameerc.com
    573-330-8462
    6103 Highway DD
    Farmington Mo 63640