Thread: tire cellophane

Default tire cellophane

i know guys are putting it on there tires for car shows,but if the guy is not soaking his tires why are so many putting cellophane around there tires that are in there trailers or car for the race weekend???

I do it every week. The main reason I do it is I'm the only guy that works on the car, so I'm getting tires ready all week for the weekend. When I'm done sipeing, grooving and grinding, I wrap it and put it in the rack, I usually have many other things to do at the track and we all know how time consuming tires can be. At the track, unwrap the one you want and its fresh, like you just did it.

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Monkey see monkey do. No real reason for it. Your tires will be full of dirt and who knows what else by the time you hit the track anyway.

It keeps the like new. And if you actually take the time to clean them properly it keeps them clean while rolling around the shop as well. When I unload at the track I keep it on until I roll out to practice. If you take one tire and wrap and it. And another tire unwrapped. See if its no difference when you punch them in about a week

it helps preserve the oils that are in the rubber. the oils evaporate over time, especially if you grind the tires. always keep your tires clean, stored out of direct sunlight and out of excessive heat. i do not advise prepping your tires through the week unless you have to. perform all prep work at the racetrack. prepping of tires removes the hardened layer of rubber that seals the oils into the rubber. it is the rubber oils that keep the tire working. once the oils are removed, the tire is no longer any good for use. treating your tires allows for these oils to evaporate even faster.
    Last edited by Anonymous24; 01-03-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    Find me on Facebook: Impetus Dirt Racing Technologies

Ive tried the wrapping tires thing. I found no change. I race 3-4 times per week though so that may be why i don't see a difference.
    I can see a benefit if you race once a month with the same tires..

its like when a women has a button up shirt on. If she buttons it all the way up no one notices but if she leaves some unbutton and shows some skin people will look. Same with wraping tires make people think your up to something.

I swear it was only simple green!! LOL