Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crown Jewels?

Great idea with WOO racing in Park Jefferson the week before SDN. It's hard to say what a crown jewel is, I think it's what you and I get out of it. There are some amazing races through out the US and changes ever year depending on racing surface. I've walked away from BIG races and said well that's boring and just the opisite at some local shows. I great and we are LUCKY to have racing to watch all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by badacefaist19 View Post
    World, Dream, DTWC are for sure the crown jewels

I will say that the sanctioning of these "Crown Jewels" is ruining it by making them points races. Especially if someone running the opposite tour has a race and can't attend one of the "crown jewels" does that make it a "crown jewel" if the best drivers in the country aren't given an opportunity to race their way into it. Also provisionals have killed the likes of most of these crown jewels, if its a true and true crown jewel you should have to race in. Period.
    I couldn't agree with this more.
    The four most famous words in racing...SECURITY TO THE PITS!!!!!

As of now, The World 100 is the only crown jewel. When some track beats them on car count, pay out and fan attendance, there may be a new Crown Jewel.

Does it really make a difference if any race has that crown jewel label? It doesn't add cars to the car count, make the racing any better or make the purse bigger. We skip races, because they are too far away, the racers we like to see won't be there or the track puts on a lousy race most of the time. A crown jewel label is not going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    As of now, The World 100 is the only crown jewel. When some track beats them on car count, pay out and fan attendance, there may be a new Crown Jewel.

Does it really make a difference if any race has that crown jewel label? It doesn't add cars to the car count, make the racing any better or make the purse bigger. We skip races, because they are too far away, the racers we like to see won't be there or the track puts on a lousy race most of the time. A crown jewel label is not going to change that.
    I can definitely see a minimalist side to it, but not even including the Dream? Come on!

At the very least you have:

World
    Dream
    Knoxville
    N/S
    DTWC
    USA Nationals

Pretty much everyone goes to all of these races.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by badacefaist19 View Post
    World, Dream, DTWC are for sure the crown jewels

The Show Me (not so much now that its at Wheatland), North/South, and Topless are right under that to me.

I will say that the sanctioning of these "Crown Jewels" is ruining it by making them points races. Especially if someone running the opposite tour has a race and can't attend one of the "crown jewels" does that make it a "crown jewel" if the best drivers in the country aren't given an opportunity to race their way into it. Also provisionals have killed the likes of most of these crown jewels, if its a true and true crown jewel you should have to race in. Period.
    What ruined "Crown Jewel" races was the fact that guys were no longer willing to drive past 5k and 10k to win shows on there way to a 40k to win show. Much to fans disappointment drivers have gotten smarter to avoid going completely broke.

If you are looking for a race without a provisional you are never gonna find one. I do find the irony that you mentioned Eldora which has the ultimate back door your way into a race provisional. One freaking lap in time trials can put you in the world or the dream.

And you folks wanna talk about racing your way in with no provisionals and put Eldora in that conversation...... SMH.

instead of provisionals howabout givin theseries guys starting points of some kind and some base travel $$$

I would love to see Lucas and WOO come together and co-sanction 10 races together a year.

Show Me 100
    PDC
    Topless
    Firecracker
    N/S 100
    DTWC......etc

Come up with 10 of the best races and highest paying races, must also be 100 laps minimum. Take those 10 races and have a mini series with them for a little bonus money.

I know this will never happen but we could dream, you would get huge car counts and you would have huge crowds for these races, would just be amazing.

I think the term "crown" jewel is extremely overused in dirt late model racing. People try to cram every race that pays 20k to win or above onto the "crown jewel" list. I consider two races "crown jewels": The World 100 and the DTWC. Everything else is just a big race. That doesn't mean they aren't big deals or anything, I just don't think a win at the North South or USA Nationals or whatever carries as much weight with the drivers in terms of resume.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I've never been to the DTWC, but what makes it so special? So basically anything with "World" in the name?

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    I've never been to the DTWC, but what makes it so special? So basically anything with "World" in the name?
    It's more the tradition of the race. The race has a deep history that puts it on another level from the other high dollar late model races.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    It's more the tradition of the race. The race has a deep history that puts it on another level from the other high dollar late model races.
    Exactly. A trophy from the World 100 or the DTWC makes you someone that people remember.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1
    Eldora - 2

50k or more to win makes it a crown jewel in my book. 5 races pay that to win this year and every late model guy in the nation would like to take home a 50k plus check at least one time in their career.
    jackie boggs....the last true outlaw
    anyone but lanigan
    Swartz - we don't build race cars fast, we build fast race cars

Quote Originally Posted by pink floyd View Post
    50k or more to win makes it a crown jewel in my book. 5 races pay that to win this year and every late model guy in the nation would like to take home a 50k plus check at least one time in their career.
    But when the money is spent, is the memory gone for those that attended? It can't be just about the money, IMO.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1
    Eldora - 2

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    But when the money is spent, is the memory gone for those that attended? It can't be just about the money, IMO.
    just my opinion, and I can't remember anything anymore anyway. haha
    anyone but lanigan

It's not just about the money, it's the history and prestige more than anything. The World doesn't pay 50, and it's the biggest dirt race on the planet.

There is a list here that is pretty close to accurate haha!

http://www.jonathandavenport.net/49career.html

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    There is a list here that is pretty close to accurate haha!

http://www.jonathandavenport.net/49career.html
    So does that mean the DTWC isn't a Crown Jewel then?

Thanks,
    Jeff.

I knew there would be someone chime in. That's why I said "pretty close to accurate"

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post
    It's not just about the money, it's the history and prestige more than anything. The World doesn't pay 50, and it's the biggest dirt race on the planet.
    it's almost there.
    anyone but lanigan

Cedar Lake Speedway USA Nationals works good because of the FANSFUND. 12 cars come because they get paid to show. The best Lucas guys come plus all the WOO guys which usually nets 55 cars at a average.