Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dirt Late Models drivers using the words "clean air"

Man I really dont like the sounds of that!! That means these cars are getting too aero dependent!

UGH

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    Man I really dont like the sounds of that!! That means these cars are getting too aero dependent!

UGH
    Indeed they are. Watch some race videos. Look what happened to B Shep at GIS when Kid Rocket took the air off his nose. He was turning left and the front just started sliding right!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

UGH
    where have you been? these cars have been dependent on air for quite some time now... especially in the last 5 or so years

do I detect the beginnings of the "get rid of the wedge-like noses" movement?
    "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

"You rarely get positive results from people who do nothing but complain".

Quote Originally Posted by bonz45 View Post
    do I detect the beginnings of the "get rid of the wedge-like noses" movement?
    I don't know why the manufacturers were allowed to sell the noses and roofs we have had for years now.

Oh wait, yes I do...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

I have been thinking the same thing for a while. IMHO, if we want to improve the sport tremendously, we need to get away from such aero-dependence like NAS-BORE has. I think stock looking front-ends should be required so they can get back to more side-by-side racing. Watch a SLM race at Smoky Mountain speedway near Maryville, TN if you want to see how important clean air is. If a leader gets out in front, they can easily check out due to the huge aero-advantage. It makes for a really boring race until they finally get into heavy lapped traffic.

Man I really dont like the sounds of that!! That means these cars are getting too aero dependent! UGH
    Clean air is nothing new it has always been in racing. No one knew what to call it for years. Take the wedge noses off and it will be worse. Lucas done tried this a few years ago with a test Florence... the cars couldn't even get close to each other. Clean air will always be an issue in automobile racing or any racing where the lead car disturb large amounts of air. Part of racing today or yesterday and some drivers are better at knowing when they are in a circumstance where the air is going to be taken away. No way to fix it... drivers just have to learn how to deal with it.
    Last edited by onlyfacts; 04-18-2016 at 03:46 PM.

I think it is kind of funny that people want "stock appearing" noses and cars, then b1tch when the stock car support classes run because they aren't fast and cool, when often they have the best racing (and maybe that's why!)

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    I think it is kind of funny that people want "stock appearing" noses and cars, then b1tch when the stock car support classes run because they aren't fast and cool, when often they have the best racing (and maybe that's why!)
    Ding. Ding.. We have a guy that understands.. When these cars slow down and the cars become equal the bleachers will be empty. When we reach equality we will no longer have reason to go watch.

I remember when stock bodies and noses were the norm in the 1970's and the grandstands were full because there was more to driving those cars. You won't catch any of my gang complaining because the cars aren't "fast and cool". We love a good support class race and get to see several around here; particularly at Boyds, Cleveland or Tazewell Speedways. If they changed to stock noses, they would still be fast and even look better if you ask me. We have equal bodies now, but with drivers depending on aero to pin the noses to the track. Take that away and it will require more driving to stay up front and the cars will handle pretty much the same in or out of traffic. Don't tell me it won't work because I remember when it did!

Quote Originally Posted by Winston_Wolfe View Post
    I remember when stock bodies and noses were the norm in the 1970's and the grandstands were full because there was more to driving those cars. You won't catch any of my gang complaining because the cars aren't "fast and cool". We love a good support class race and get to see several around here; particularly at Boyds, Cleveland or Tazewell Speedways. If they changed to stock noses, they would still be fast and even look better if you ask me. We have equal bodies now, but with drivers depending on aero to pin the noses to the track. Take that away and it will require more driving to stay up front and the cars will handle pretty much the same in or out of traffic. Don't tell me it won't work because I remember when it did!
    Different times.... people expect fast and cool for todays standards. Back in the days you are talking about... everyone thought the cars were fast and cool because for the time they were. I remember those days well but today that has changed a lot for what is fast and cool. In 1970's a fast street car had a big block in it now a fast street car has a turbo charged 4 cyl that will run circles around that old muscle car.

So why aren't they putting 4 bangers in late models? Can you say BORING?

To answer your question wonder, we have to be normally aspirated and run a single carb. If we were wide open you would want a lighter engine option with smooth power.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyfacts View Post
    Clean air is nothing new it has always been in racing. No one knew what to call it for years. Take the wedge noses off and it will be worse. Lucas done tried this a few years ago with a test Florence... the cars couldn't even get close to each other. Clean air will always be an issue in automobile racing or any racing where the lead car disturb large amounts of air. Part of racing today or yesterday and some drivers are better at knowing when they are in a circumstance where the air is going to be taken away. No way to fix it... drivers just have to learn how to deal with it.
    What all did they do to the bodies? The cars were not that aero dependent with the 90s UMP stuff on them.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Quote Originally Posted by onlyfacts View Post
    So true. When I was crewing on a big block modified in the late 80's and early 90's when they first went to the "wide" bodies, we absolutely discussed clean and dirty air.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    So true. When I was crewing on a big block modified in the late 80's and early 90's when they first went to the "wide" bodies, we absolutely discussed clean and dirty air.
    That is the key. Wide Bodies. Flat Surfaces designed to collect air.

It is the deck surface, roof, fenders, that are the real issue.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

mike, where are you??
    jackie boggs....the last true outlaw
    anyone but lanigan
    Swartz - we don't build race cars fast, we build fast race cars

Surface area for sure. Another part of racing is this aero deal. I'm still seeing cars with spoilers ripped off and sheetmetal deformed running up front late in features. Although you can tell they slow down after the damage many times.

I think it's still a little over kill to talk about on a 1/4 mile track. The sprint car has to manage that air and has for many years. This isn't new technology by any means.

I personally think cars are getting too fast for the tracks they are racing on and safety is becoming an issue. We will be doing things to slow them down or make things safer here before long. Racing is dangerous for sure and always has been but the fields of cars today are much faster in total than ever before. The race I was at the other night, the back markers were past champions or have won features in the past. You didn't have that 20+ years ago.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

I expect good racing that's all lets so back appearing noses please and maybe put some rub rails and put the fast guys to the back while were at it make the fast guys work for it like they in the old days I believe many of the sprint car series doe that and they can pack but what do I know would this help http://s3.racingjunk.com/ui/4/93/250...-undefined.jpg
    Last edited by old fan; 04-19-2016 at 11:05 PM.

I think the racing is just fine all u need is a track surface that's prepared right. We see it all the time in Lucas and woo the racing is 9 times out of 10 good. We get to our local tracks and they don't have the prep some of these tracks do and let's face some of our local drivers are to complacent they will just fall in line and not try anything new. U watch jd or bloomer if they ain't passing cars they are searching all over that bitch to try to find something. So thats my opinion