Unhappy Ponderosa Speedway almost done

I talked to one of mr Denison sons last night the topless race has been moved to June 3rd something about a water line break. I think days are numbered at the pond my thinking going to have lucas oil show and close it just by the way things are going. Maybe someone can get it and rebuild it like mr yantz did I wish they were running it now

Yes Mr Yantz did do a fabulous job and is currently doing a fantastic job with Richmond Raceway as well. I really want to see this track make it cuz it is my home track but I agree. The way things are going I am not sure that it will make it to the Lucas race. At the WoO race they had maybe 20 crates, 6 mods, maybe 10 super stocks, it was i think single digit car count for all the support classes except the crates. I am certainly glad that I know that they aren't racing Friday. May try to go to Crossville if it don't rain. Fingers are crossed. Whoever is in charge of PR at the Pond right now is doing a terrible job. They really do miss Mr Despain

I would say, it isn't done yet. I think they will run the Lucas race, and any other big late model races scheduled, and milk what they can out of it. They will figure out reasons to cancel all the rest. It is a shame that that is what racing has come to. Tracks don't want to run weekly shows anymore. I don't think a track can make it on 2 or 3 big shows a year. Too many things quit working, and track surfaces aren't good, when they aren't open weekly. Race promoting is a full time job. It shows when you don't work at it full time. Most promoters have other jobs because they cant make it on what they make at the racetrack. It is a catch 22. A well promoted and well prepared track is profitable in most cases, but promoters are afraid to quit their bread and butter job to take a chance on a racetrack being their sole source of income. PR is easy these days. Write an article, and push a button, and it goes to numerous websites and newspapers. You used to have to type it out, make copies, and mail it or fax it to different news outlets, and it cost money to do. Now it only takes a few minutes, and costs basicly nothing. It should be done. You reap what you sew. If you don't plant seeds, nothing will grow. If you keep eating out of the garden, and don't replant, someday you will look at your garden, and it will be gone.

Publicity is easy... the PR game requires one to shake hands, call on sponsors to be sure they are happy, show off the cars at malls, schools... anyplace people gather.

The new promoters don't hand out posters, drop off schedules at the auto parts stores, junk yards, repair shops, etc. They think the internet will do it for them. They are wrong.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Well all I no is I came to a race last year and it was standing room only and I thought they need to build more stands I don't know about weekly racing but I live in Tennessee and weekly racing is in trouble everywhere most tracks can't afford to pay the money and the drivers are not going to race for less most tracks do not want to pay more than they paid 10-15 years ago and then you got all these series races working against you but ponderosa is a good track they tell me you can't pass on Richmond I don't know I haven't ever been their

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    Well all I no is I came to a race last year and it was standing room only and I thought they need to build more stands I don't know about weekly racing but I live in Tennessee and weekly racing is in trouble everywhere most tracks can't afford to pay the money and the drivers are not going to race for less most tracks do not want to pay more than they paid 10-15 years ago and then you got all these series races working against you but ponderosa is a good track they tell me you can't pass on Richmond I don't know I haven't ever been their
    And on the flip side most fans don't want to pay more money so the promoter can pay more money to the drivers and make a profit. Most fans don't care if the promoter makes money or not. How many times have you heard must of made a boat load tonight what a rip off. I'm not going back.

One track here hardly advertises. They drop those wallet size schedules off at places and that's about it. Don't run big shows except the last one of year. Everyone knows they open 3rd week of April and race weekly until the 2nd week of September. Don't change the payouts based on car counts and hardly ever change rules over the off season. Run the same program every week unless the local Sprint series is there and the place is 3/4 full to full and standing room only some nights in the summer. I haven't been there in awhile but so far this year from what I've heard it still hasn't changed.
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 05-21-2016 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    One track here hardly advertises. They drop those wallet size schedules off at places and that's about it. Don't run big shows except the last one of year. Everyone knows they open 3rd week of April and race weekly until the 2nd week of September. Don't change the payouts based on car counts and hardly ever change rules over the off season. Run the same program every week unless the local Sprint series is there and the place is 3/4 full to full and standing room only some nights in the summer. I haven't been there in awhile but so far this year from what I've heard it still hasn't changed.
    That sounds like a well promoted track. Tracks around here are only interested in big shows, and could care less about weekly shows, and local racers. They think they can make it on 3 big shows a year. The facilities are run down, the surfaces are bad, and the help doesn't know what they are doing, because they don't get enough practice at there job. They gamble on big shows and try to hit a big lick. If they loose, they shut down. If they don't do well, it is everybody elses fault, never the lack of promotion, or the quality of show that they put on. Give them a good show, ran in a timely manner for a decent admission price, and they will come. I can name a few well promoted race tracks that are usually packed with cars and fans weekly, that don't have many big races. They don't price themselves out, and don't try to make everything off of the racers coming in the back gate. Those are the tracks that will stay around for years to come. This big show, rob the racers at the back gate mentality has closed many of racetracks. I have said it before, and will say it again. The racers are the ones putting on the show, the track is the theater. The audience is there to pay to watch the show. The local tracks here charge $35 for a weekly pit pass and make a driver buy a pit pass for each class of car he drives, then charge $10 transponder rental, or charge $5 if you use your own. Add in an entry fee if they add a little money on top. It is a slap in the face to a driver. Sort of makes you wanna go somewhere else to race. Maybe that explains 6 to 10 cars per class.

Ill agree that the Yantz family does a good job however there is no comparison between the racing at Ponderosa and Richmond. Richmond continues to be a one groove track while Ponderosa is a track you can run anywhere......Love to see the Yantz family run both tracks and add some more banking at Richmond while they are there

Well like I said I don't live there but when I was there last year I thought this place place needs more grandstands the night I was there it was standing room only if I ever had a race like that I would start building grandstands the next day