Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

different dirt also black gumbo with the right amount of maintance well hold the moisture plus Tri state is anal about track prep do you want to farm equipment all night long or do you want to see racing a good track prep is worrling it good then race night a few touches hear and there or don't even touch it , plus sometimes a later start time will do wonders also

I think it's more the dirt in that area of the country.

First event I ever attended at Eldora was the King's Royal in 1987. The area (Rossburg, New Weston Greeneville) received 9 inches of rain over the 6 days prior and guess what, dust was rolling in hot laps even though it rained until noon (a nice steady rain) and the track was opened up already by Earl to take advantage of the raindrops to do the watering.

Dirt in every area of the Country is different. It just so happens that the dirt at Eldora is more likely to get dusty IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by vande07 View Post
    I think it's more the dirt in that area of the country.

First event I ever attended at Eldora was the King's Royal in 1987. The area (Rossburg, New Weston Greeneville) received 9 inches of rain over the 6 days prior and guess what, dust was rolling in hot laps even though it rained until noon (a nice steady rain) and the track was opened up already by Earl to take advantage of the raindrops to do the watering.

Dirt in every area of the Country is different. It just so happens that the dirt at Eldora is more likely to get dusty IMO.
    That's probably the most logical thing I've read in this thread. Some of the dustiest races I've ever seen have all been around this area. Limaland can be downright brutal. Attica's had their fair share of dusty races - especially sprint cars. We've seen Eldora on the bad nights. There's some eastern Ohio tracks that are notoriously dusty-- Wayne County, Hilltop etc.

I do think there's definitely something to the idea that the dirt around this area is just more conducive to creating dusty tracks than other parts of the country.

And to the people that think this is a new thing - I've been going to Eldora since the 70s and 80s and Earl had plenty of dusty races - even the ones at night. Don't kid yourself thinking things were better back then with the dust. It's no different now than it was back then.

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    different dirt also black gumbo with the right amount of maintance well hold the moisture plus Tri state is anal about track prep do you want to farm equipment all night long or do you want to see racing a good track prep is worrling it good then race night a few touches hear and there or don't even touch it , plus sometimes a later start time will do wonders also
    Careful Lite-Inn/old fan/slipping jimmy,you'll lose what little credibility you possess if you try to dog Tri State. Helfrich is hands down one of the best track prep guys in the nation. The track is consistently 2-3 grooves. Who cares if it takes time to keep the racing top notch, as long as the racing is top notch. At Tri State, it is. This mythical prep it once and sit back and sell hotdogs track you speak of is a unicorn. We hear about it, but are pretty sure it doesn't exist.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

Helfrich has torn up more good tracks than most other promoters have ever had. To many times I have seen him bring out the John Deere parade when it wasn't necessary. If he is "one of the best track prep guys in the nation" why do need to redo it multiple times a night?

Racing is great most of the time but they have had their share of poor racing after a redo. Too much wasted effort when a quick touch up would be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
    Helfrich has torn up more good tracks than most other promoters have ever had. To many times I have seen him bring out the John Deere parade when it wasn't necessary. If he is "one of the best track prep guys in the nation" why do need to redo it multiple times a night?

Racing is great most of the time but they have had their share of poor racing after a redo. Too much wasted effort when a quick touch up would be in order.
    I've never seen a bad show at Haubstadt. Maybe he gets a tax break for using his farm equipment on the race track?
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post

We need a like button!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirt crow View Post
    Just curious, was it an 80's day race before the lights was added? My first world was 89.
    Most of the eighties were day races.

Quote Originally Posted by plunks7 View Post
    Was it 2 guys in a gunnysack? Litey your missing the whole point. We all know it gets dusty, but their must be something or figure out away to control the dust somehow a little bit.

There is a way to stop the dust, but Eldora is not going to do it. They have the surface compacted too hard and will not cut into the clay. They are not going to cut the track deep and get the moisture down to any depth. A foot of rain hitting the track could not penetrate to any depth. Hard packed clay can be made almost waterproof.

I finally quit going there three years ago. My old school memories of the past make this kind of racing surface not worth the 215 mile one way trip anymore. I miss the place though. Quit a bit actually. Nothing more awesome than seeing it the first time.

Not worth it to breath in all that dust and rubber anymore either as it causes sinus problems for me. For those that have not seen great racing on tacky dust free surfaces like I have, then you don't even know what you are talking about when you say "maybe an asphalt track would be more your style" or that rediculous statement "it's a dirt track, you're going to get dirty". We ll no, that it not so. I've seen too many good track prep jobs in the past where there was no dust on the fans at the end of the night.

Many people live a simple life and can take it or leave it. I know people that have quit going to races because it has just gotten too dusty. They never complained, they just quit going. Well I quit going to Eldora, but I'll at least say why.

I blame these kind of tracks on promoters who are all too agreeable and happy to accommodate those car owners and drivers that prefer these hard surfaces just because it is easier on equipment and all of the 'OTHER' reasons that they have but are not open to discussing.

If I ever owned a race track the racing would not be like that, that is for sure.

Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 06-17-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Sorry somehow missed this thread and started a new one. I've been to probably 20 different dirt tracks and have never encountered the dust like I've seen at Eldora recently. I'm with Clayton, I'll probably give them a couple more chances to fix this or I'm done too. I will just go to different tracks. Shoot, even Volusia doesn't have this sandy, gritty, no visibility non-sense!

Like Clayton said I think some of it is track prep, but I really think that it is the dirt that they have. It seems like river bottom silt, not clay.

Quote Originally Posted by roughride View Post
    Sorry somehow missed this thread and started a new one. I've been to probably 20 different dirt tracks and have never encountered the dust like I've seen at Eldora recently. I'm with Clayton, I'll probably give them a couple more chances to fix this or I'm done too. I will just go to different tracks. Shoot, even Volusia doesn't have this sandy, gritty, no visibility non-sense!

Like Clayton said I think some of it is track prep, but I really think that it is the dirt that they have. It seems like river bottom silt, not clay.
    Ever been to Tyler County?

I love the racing at Tyler County, but cant get my wife to go there anymore. There is other options thank goodness, or I would half to go without her.LOL
    Its not good for your health either,especialy as you get older. As I said earlyer, I Dont take it like I used to. Im going to start carrying a box of dust masks to go with the googles.
    Eldora 8
    Knoxville IA 3
    Lancaster county NC 1
    Cherokee NC 1
    Richmond KY 1
    Midway 1
    Lotsa streaming

Unless Tony is truckin in dirt from far away, it's the same ol dirt as always. It's just track prep I think. Watch the upcoming truck race. It'll be black from top to bottom and little dust. And they do it on purpose. They can do it for the World too. And I say it'd still be racy.

In 25 years or so, I've seen Eldora rubber up once. Hartmans World win I believe. So it's unlikely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post
    Ever been to Tyler County?
    Tyler is the dustiest track I go to, by a very wide margin. It's extremely racy though, so I do not care about the dust. I grew up going to the famed Flemington Sspeedway, and that place was just as dusty as Tyler. I don't remember hearing the complaining about the dust back then, it's a newer phenomenon.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Tyler is the dustiest track I go to, by a very wide margin. It's extremely racy though, so I do not care about the dust. I grew up going to the famed Flemington Sspeedway, and that place was just as dusty as Tyler. I don't remember hearing the complaining about the dust back then, it's a newer phenomenon.
    I agree, the dust doesn't bother me at all like it does some people but Tyler is the dustiest I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by plunks7 View Post
    Was it 2 guys in a gunnysack? Litey your missing the whole point. We all know it gets dusty, but their must be something or figure out away to control the dust somehow a little bit.
    Litey hates water, Even his bathtub is dry.