Default FALS PDC crown jewel race?

So in reflection of the weekends events at Fairbury with a friend, the topic of Dennis Erb winning his first crown jewel race came up. We then pondered what exactly is a crown jewel race, how do you achieve that status, and does the PDC meet the criteria. Any thoughts?

I believe it's a combination of purse/total payout, quantity/quality of field, crowd/racing and history/prestige. Outside of the Dream, World, and DWTC (maybe Knoxville), there isn't a race in the country that can put that combo together. IMO, those other big races are what I call "regional Crown Jewels". I'm sure FALS is important to some guys, but it's not to everybody. The Show Me 100 is more important to southern Missouri guys than anything else..... And the list goes on and on. I'll be honest the payout at the PDC isn't very good. It's near the bottom in every position 1 thru 24 among the other big races. I-80 paid out better at every single position last week and nobody mentioned it as a "crown jewel". I don't even consider it a crown jewel and its in my backyard. The crowd and racing alone can't carry FALS to a crown jewel. It's gotta pay more money into the purse, first and foremost. It'll get there I'm sure. You take that field and that purse to any other track in the country and it won't get 5-6 threads on here.

I'm not trying to hammer on FALS. Im sure everything was fantastic this weekend as usual. I wish more tracks had 1/4 the atmosphere as the fateful have over there. I just don't see where FALS legitimately fits into the discussion without 8 other races being just as deserving.

Someone has never been there

Minimum $40,000 for a crown jewel.

Does te name crown jewel change the qaulity of racing , i think not

The PDC is on its way being a crown jewel.

Purse is not up to "crown jewel" level in my opinion. I do think it is the best & maybe biggest "bull ring" race in the country. Most if not all of the crown jewels are on 3/8 or 1/2 miles. I can't think of a bigger dirt late model race on a 1/4 mile.

The size of the facility will probably limit it from becoming a crown jewel $50k to win type of race. It is fantastic as is though.

It depends on the definition of a Crown Jewel. Either it is very exclusive, or all encompassing. In my mind if the SDN, or Show Me is a Crown Jewel then the PDC certainly has to be. Do I think for sure that any of those are? No.

To me it should be:

Dream
    World
    DTWC
    USA Nationals
    Knoxville

I think the PDC definitely matches the atmosphere of those races, but I just think it does not command the same level of respect across the country. During the weekend of those big races you don't see many other big money events scheduled (where as Tazwell for instance ran against the PDC with big money on the line). I do know that VMS is running against the USA Nationals but that is a rescheduled event and there really were not a ton of other dates they could have gone with where they had a chance to draw a few National cars. As far as this season goes it is a little bit odd as guys like Owens, Bloomquist, Sheppard, etc. might be supporting some of these other big money shows because they can't go run the USA Nationals for instance and that too could have added to the equation as far as selected a date to reschedule to.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

I say north south world dream dtwc usa nationals Knoxville would be the true crown jewel

To me crown jewel race it's not just about the money. It's race drives will come all cross the country and cross the big pond to show up and have the bragging rights they won it. PDC is very close and could be on thier way being one but not just yet to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    To me crown jewel race it's not just about the money. It's race drives will come all cross the country and cross the big pond to show up and have the bragging rights they won it. PDC is very close and could be on thier way being one but not just yet to me.
    I definitely agree there, I think the PDC is much closer to being a Crown Jewel than races like the SDN, or the Buckeye race are despite the huge difference in pay.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

You can label them anything you want, but I go for the racing and there are only 2 tracks that I won't miss if at all possible. PDC and Knoxville LM Nationals. Neither one is close, or a home track. I will go to some of these others, but it don't eat me up if I miss them.