Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I was right there and from the time he took the hit it was clear he was not ok. The crew got him out of the car and did cpr and bagged him up very quickly to cover what could be seen. It got around the pits quickly that he had passed. I think it was extremely distasteful to continue at that point. Prayers with the family in this extremely hard time. RIP

Sad day for sure....ump needs to make it mandatory to use a HANS device

Unhappy

Accident happened right in front of me. Absolutely sick to my stomach. Got to meat Shane in the pits and spoke with him a bit. Incredibly nice man. Please let the good lord be with his friends and family in this difficult time.
    #GodSpeed #79ShaneUnger may your memory live on in the hearts of others.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - 5/25 Shadyhill
    2024 Season: 7 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Fairbury (IL) 2, Farmer City (IL) 1, Grundy Co (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 1, & Shadyhill (IN) 1

I'm emotionally torn to pieces hearing this news. Please lord be with the family and friends of Shane Unger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    I am Sorry, But I think this is the First Time I have ever heard that a race went on after someone has Die....
    I was at Syracuse for a 4th of July show one year with my family and friends. There was an accident on the backstretch and we could tell by listening on the scanners that it was fatal. Cops were called, and while the scene was investigated, the track put on their fireworks show. After that, they ran the rest of the show. Most people didn't know. I think most drivers would want the show to go on.
    My photo web site:
    http://www.rewingphotos.com

Quote Originally Posted by pierceFAN View Post
    Sad day for sure....ump needs to make it mandatory to use a HANS device
    What if it had killed Landers and not simply almost killed him? How many drivers have died from a basal skull fracture in DLM?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Thought's & Prayers to the Shane Unger family
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

Just my 2 pennies. Wouldn't be thoughtful if Bobby donated some of his winnings to the Unger family?
    I also was curious too when they turned the cameras away and then I also thought he was OK when the crowd starting applauding. Then they did not give a update.
    BIG CONGRATS to Bobby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    I am Sorry, But I think this is the First Time I have ever heard that a race went on after someone has Die....
    No, been to eldora when someone died in hot laps. Show went on. It's tragic, but the show must go on

We were at the wedding of the daughter of very close friends Saturday evening so we weren't in any way able to keep up with what was going on at Eldora. I'm not familiar with Mr. Unger or his racing career but my heart truly aches for his family and close friends, nonetheless.

This is two dirt track racing fatalities (Bryan Clauson & Shane Unger) in just over a month. As I mentioned when Bryan passed away, a bit of the joy of attending races diminishes just little every time this happens. The sadness I feel while reading this thread will stick with me for a while.

We get so much joy, excitement and happiness from watching these men and women do things with racecars that seem nearly impossible and in a split second it can all go bad. It shouldn't be that way but it is. Obviously Mr. Unger loved what he was doing enough to risk his life to do it. I am not qualified to pass judgement as to whether the show should go on following one of these heart wrenching incidents and I don't ever want to have to make the decision one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by cutman View Post
    No, been to eldora when someone died in hot laps. Show went on. It's tragic, but the show must go on
    The show doesn't have to go on, the show is not a life or death situation. It's a fuking race. It's not war. It's a choice to have the show go on. Personally, I'd have polled the drivers and been up front with what had happened.

I started watching same time mud duck did, right after this wreck. RIP Shane.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    The show doesn't have to go on, the show is not a life or death situation. It's a fuking race. It's not war. It's a choice to have the show go on. Personally, I'd have polled the drivers and been up front with what had happened.

I started watching same time mud duck did, right after this wreck. RIP Shane.
    cnbf, I tend to agree with you, it's a choice.

I remember when Dan Weldon was fatally injured in an Indy Car race at Las Vegas and that race was not completed following Dan's crash. I asked a retired driver who holds several national dirt track win records and has raced Indy Cars at Indianapolis what his feelings were about that particular incident. This driver has paid a very steep price physically as a result of driving racecars so he is qualified to speak on the subject if anyone is. He said that race at Vegas should have been run to it's completion. He said he was absolutely sure that Mr. Weldon would have wanted that race to be completed. I said to the driver at the time that I was comfortable with the way Indy Car handled it. I also was well aware that this driver had strapped his ass into a racecar hundreds, maybe even thousands of times, many times at Eldora, and he knew far more about the subject than I ever could hope to.

Not passing judgement one way or the other, just giving the perspective of someone who is much more of an authority than I.

Am I getting this right? Stop the show if someone dies? They don't announce it and run the show. This is how it's always been done. Indy 500, Daytona 500 didn't stop when Dale E died. It has more to do with notifying next of kin more than Economics of canceling a race.

The Dale accident was on the last lap the show was already over.

Thumbs up

Alright folks CLASS move by Bobby Pierce!
    I may have not been a Pierce fan. But this move right here just moved him pretty close to the front of the line.
    link - https://facebook.com/bobbypierce32/p...type+3&theater
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - 5/25 Shadyhill
    2024 Season: 7 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Fairbury (IL) 2, Farmer City (IL) 1, Grundy Co (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 1, & Shadyhill (IN) 1

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    Alright folks CLASS move by Bobby Pierce!
    I may have not been a Pierce fan. But this move right here just moved him pretty close to the front of the line.
    link - https://facebook.com/bobbypierce32/p...type+3&theater
    Not a big fan ether.. but I will give it to a KID yes a kid, That takes the time too give a hug to a dead mans wife..on the Night he died..And On the Night he wins the biggest race of his Life..Still not a Big Fan.. But I will give due when its Due,,, Nice Move Bobby.... Gary

Very sad saw on facebook he had a young daughter prayers to the family and class act by young Pierce

Thoughts and prayers to Shanes family.
    Last edited by dirtdobber45; 09-11-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    Alright folks CLASS move by Bobby Pierce!I may have not been a Pierce fan. But this move right here just moved him pretty close to the front of the line.link - https://facebook.com/bobbypierce32/p...type+3&theater
    Well done Bobby not a big fan of his driving but that was an awesome gesture
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

It would be nice if a track could have a race in his honor and all proceeds go to the family.
    SOS did that for the Floyd family and I went and gave all I could.
    I for one will gladly attend if they do.

RIP Shane.