Default Hoosier or American Racer and why!

For those with experience with both brands of tire which do you prefer and why? I personally like the racers and especially the racers when you can run the soft to mid compound. Look at all the blowouts that Hoosier has in the Lucas series. I know they have a tire rule and a lot of times the tire is too soft for the track conditions but the racers seem to hold together better and won't glaze over like some of the Hoosiers I have seen. Those that know, when when the Hoosiers glaze they absolutely won't come back. I have seen the racers blister and feather on the edges but have yet to seen one glaze like the Hoosiers do. Just an opinion and preference and I would like to hear what you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Centeroff View Post
    For those with experience with both brands of tire which do you prefer and why? I personally like the racers and especially the racers when you can run the soft to mid compound. Look at all the blowouts that Hoosier has in the Lucas series. I know they have a tire rule and a lot of times the tire is too soft for the track conditions but the racers seem to hold together better and won't glaze over like some of the Hoosiers I have seen. Those that know, when when the Hoosiers glaze they absolutely won't come back. I have seen the racers blister and feather on the edges but have yet to seen one glaze like the Hoosiers do. Just an opinion and preference and I would like to hear what you guys think?
    I helped a good friend of mine and we ran Racers for an entire year other than UMP shows at Eldora and very rare were they better than the Hoosiers, they last longer for whatever reason but they didn't fire like Hoosiers did and also they would lose a ton of air under cautions. Hands down to be competitive you needed to be on Hoosiers for the most part, the racers worked better a few places but not many.

They lost air under cautions? Seriously??

Quote Originally Posted by Centeroff View Post
    They lost air under cautions? Seriously??
    They lose air sitting in the shop too. The sidewalls on Racers are very thin. When you wash them you can see the air foam up. If they lose air just sitting there I'm sure they'd do the same on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    They lose air sitting in the shop too. The sidewalls on Racers are very thin. When you wash them you can see the air foam up. If they lose air just sitting there I'm sure they'd do the same on the track.
    True! You're the first to post this also. When Racers were legal, we would run 3 d21 Hoosiers and a 56 Racer for a normal 25 lap feature. But for a 50 lap feature we would run the d55 Hoosier. It seemed the Racer would initially fire better but would give up earlier.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Was amazed that when we were forced to switch from AR to Hoosier (sanction rule), the next morning the tires still had air in them! AR was flat 7 or 8 hours after a race, Hoosier would stay aired up for months in the shop.

The ar's we have to run in Michigan have no side wall and about zero traction because they're as hard as a hockey puck yet, three quarters of the guys up here seem to think they're the greatest tire ever because they are $20 cheaper yet they will turn around and spend countless dollars on tire soak for their "cheaper" tire that doesn't last as long before the soak. The promoters don't help this matter any either when they shove out UMP and run ar's because ar gives them "point fund" money that the racer never see. I could go on forever about my dislike for the ar's. My bottom line opinion, let the street stocks race on that crap and keep the latemodels on a real RACING tire! Hoosier all the way

I remember Whe bloomer got outran and said he just couldn't keep up with the American Racers. A guy I worked for for years was a Carolina clash series champion. We tested both American racer and Hoosiers on a fast clay southern track. We found the Hoosiers fired faster but the racers maintained over 1.5 seconds over a 10 lap run. Note, we cut the racers to as close to a Hoosier pattern as we could. We also went a lot softer on the tire Han what we would have run a 40 lap feature. I agree when it comes to price of a tires that is something that shouldn't matter!

Quote Originally Posted by hrmotorsports33 View Post
    The ar's we have to run in Michigan have no side wall and about zero traction because they're as hard as a hockey puck yet, three quarters of the guys up here seem to think they're the greatest tire ever because they are $20 cheaper yet they will turn around and spend countless dollars on tire soak for their "cheaper" tire that doesn't last as long before the soak. The promoters don't help this matter any either when they shove out UMP and run ar's because ar gives them "point fund" money that the racer never see. I could go on forever about my dislike for the ar's. My bottom line opinion, let the street stocks race on that crap and keep the latemodels on a real RACING tire! Hoosier all the way
    Lol. You mean the very thing Hoosier has done for years in all forms of motorsports that they are in. Throw some money at the promoter or sanctioning body and bam.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

usmts run ars only on mods. don adams lightning used to be on here he liked them better than hoosiers ?

and your point is

american racer, why? about 2/10 gain per lap....

A few years back I think Shane Clanton was on racers and made an ass out of Hoosier????

yep, he did it at the ice bowl at TST , its an open tire rule ,

I run both in Michigan. Much rather prefer the ARs. they seem to last longer and be competitive long. Hoosiers run 1 night on RR and to be competitive you have to throw another on for the next night. They(American Racers) are $35 cheaper. Yes they have less traction because it is a smaller tire. a stack of 4 ARs mounted are almost a foot shorter than Hoosiers mounted. Its is easier to hang with the bigger budget teams when they are on ARs.