Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Centeroff View Post
    Calverton, the answer is no they do not but when 100k$ is on the line they should be right down to the ounce. He earned that race and actually won with the second best car. Did 20 lbs make a difference in the outcome?? Hela to the no!
    read reply 138 son that would be coming from a racer

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    does every track in the nation have certified scales lol
    Not yet....
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

and it won't happen how many tracks use portable scales can you guess

Could you get your scales certified and then keep a copy with you to the race track if there was an issue with the track scales? I know it sounds funny..but could it stand if there was a question?
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LM14 View Post
    No track that I have ever been to has certified scales. I also know of nobody that owns certified scales in their personal shops. That's why you compare what you weigh at home against what you weigh on the track scale. This is really simple.

SPark
    Whether or not a track ever used certified scales don't matter . When you start
    taking things to a court of law , and you are using scales for the outcome of a event ,
    that the prize will be money , and the result of the rules say you must qualify by
    weight and other measures , then all that becomes relevant in court . By offering
    this makes you liable . Just because you are a dumb old dirt race track promoter
    don't exempt you when you are challenged in court . The law don't care about stupidity
    on your part. Otherwise smarter people would play these games all the time . And some do and get caught . This is the reason for weights and measures law. not for just buying things . They
    made it relevant by using scales in the first place . So here's where the lawyers come in to play .

Quoting a25rjr - I was waiting to post this, so now here it is. I knew a fellow church member that worked for a scale company. I had the chance this week to sit and talk to him about this lawsuit. He said his job was to calibrate commercial scales involving vehicle commerce (truck scales, scales used to weigh products loaded on trucks, and freight scales). He said the laws in our state require the scales to be within .1 of 1%.

So obviously, if the same rules apply in Ohio, that part of the lawsuit will be a slam dunk. End of quote.

Most states have the same type of scale tolerance laws. I worked in construction inspection and worked with certified scales all the time. A scale only needs to be certified if the product is sold by weight. In this case, they weren't paying by weight, just checking on a portion of the car specs. It's a fine line, and maybe hard for a lot of people to see, but it is totally different. If they were paying purse based on the weight of the car (IE 2300# car gets paid $100 and a 2350# car gets paid $200) then the scale would need to be certified. Since pay is not based on weight, it doesn't need to be certified. It's just checking a spec. Do they need certified tape measures for body dimensions? No, it's the same deal. Hope that clears up that part.

SPark
    That may be true in your state but not ours. My friend has been checking scales for 23 years and he said, even the scales at the truck stops, had to be .1 of 1%! No money is transacted using those!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

No track that I have ever been to has certified scales. I also know of nobody that owns certified scales in their personal shops. That's why you compare what you weigh at home against what you weigh on the track scale. This is really simple.

SPark
    So favoritism is totally okay with you and the buddy system will pick the winners and losers?

If the scales are proven off, then they are doing an injustice to the drivers. Very, extremely simple.

Too much money was lost here to let this injustice go. This needs to stop or it's the drivers, teams, and owners that lose.

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    That may be true in your state but not ours. My friend has been checking scales for 23 years and he said, even the scales at the truck stops, had to be .1 of 1%! No money is transacted using those!
    I think we may need to weigh a couple of brains on here on certified scales too see how much underweight they are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    So favoritism is totally okay with you and the buddy system will pick the winners and losers?

If the scales are proven off, then they are doing an injustice to the drivers. Very, extremely simple.

Too much money was lost here to let this injustice go. This needs to stop or it's the drivers, teams, and owners that lose.
    So are the shop scales certified?

Quote Originally Posted by cutman View Post
    So are the shop scales certified?
    I don't know. Why are shop scales even in this conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    I don't know. Why are shop scales even in this conversation?
    What are they basing their weight off of before heading to the track? Why did Bloomer say he weighed the car when returning to the shop and it made weight? Maybe his scales were off.

Quote Originally Posted by cutman View Post
    What are they basing their weight off of before heading to the track? Why did Bloomer say he weighed the car when returning to the shop and it made weight? Maybe his scales were off.
    And he may well have had his owns scales checked out too, before making ANY claims. Makes total sense.

a quick comment on a couple of recent intelligent posts:

LM14: I completely agree with everything you've posted on this thread. been attending races since the late '60's. and what you stated is exactly the way it's always been done. I actually witnessed a promoter's son get DQ'ed at the scales for being 10 lbs. light. no argument. no whine. no favoritism.

but...

"just dust" made the perfect counter-point compared to all the other crap we've read through: "When you start
    taking things to a court of law , and you are using scales for the outcome of a event , that the prize will be money , and the result of the rules say you must qualify by weight and other measures , then all that becomes relevant in court ."

right or wrong, weights and measures, tire testing, or anything else that is challenged in the courts...

well, let's just say that "we've always done things this way" isn't the answer. especially when a judge/jury has no interest/background in the topics being argued.

personally, I believe Bloomquist was light at the scale (no one that was subject to weighing complained) and all 5 drivers suspended for tire treatment were racing on cheated tires, regardless of if they were aware of it (who of the five would have full control of their equipment?).

there is another mega-poster on this forum that has made many posts concerning the validity of the tire testing process while at the same time hoping for clarity in the future.

while I tend to disagree with the poster's overall conclusion of innocence in these most recent DQ's (especially given the history of those found in violation, along with my regulatory background, that included lab testing as a basis for fines and suspensions), what I can't disagree with is the hope that the entire process is clarified and simplified.

the devil on my shoulder wants me to say one more thing: WoO/Bloomer/tire issues go back to at least 2009. but i'm sure all of that is forgiven/forgotten.

JMO.
    Last edited by klemmabyna; 11-03-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Did the 0 not go across the scales earlier in the event to compare his weight ???
    He should have had an idea of the difference in scales.

I would think he did if he made the feature you have go across the scales after the heat ,dispute that bloomer fans

Quote Originally Posted by perverton View Post
    I would think he did if he made the feature you have go across the scales after the heat ,dispute that bloomer fans
    There just has to be a limit to your posting on threads. You made your point the first post, all the rest is wasting everyone's time, including your own!!!

Now go pop your nose zit again!!!!

Just stating the facts clayton just stating the facts poor bloomer fans can't face the facts

Something else to think about was the year that Babb won the big show , and he was even closer to making weight than Scott was.. the thing that made him light at the scales was the engine swap before the feature. So with that being said you better know what your engines weight and keep that in mind if you ever get yourself in that position..

Imagine that and no cry baby lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    Imagine that and no cry baby lawsuit
    Some Men take responsibility for their actions, even when it hurts. Babb has respect for him self.