Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    wrong the weekly racers want it at least in my area they do which is UMP and that's 4 tracks right there
    Is that so? Who? Bobby and Frankie Jr?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

No rusty griffaw some guy named zorbist kloos westling most of the mod guys most those guys have a 9-5 job and don't want to work on tires all week they might have a l ife out side of racing frankie jr doesn't run weekly

No rusty griffaw some guy named zorbist kloos westling most of the mod guys most those guys have a 9-5 job and don't want to work on tires all week they might have a l ife out side of racing frankie jr doesn't run weekly
    It wouldn't be the first time I saw guys vote against their best interest. But I don't know those guys budgets.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Griffaw does'nt have a big budget kloos does or seems to zorbist has a good size budget or seems to but also has a 3 car team plus to mods and a couple street stocks he finished 6th both nights at the dome with a 2006 rocket plus hauler is not what it looks like either its scraps pieced together

Calverton is right, actually the real fast guys that should be touring are the only ones that have whined about changing to a non groove and sipe rule. Super lates around here are as competitive as it gets. Tire prep is where it's all at. I say run 20s all 4 corners and allow sanding and that's all we need. If we go to a harder tire then we will have more juice being used. Stay with a 20 and there will be less juice being used. Might have a few lose a rr but might teach them not to abuse them like they do with the 40s.

Quote Originally Posted by westlingracing View Post
    Calverton is right, actually the real fast guys that should be touring are the only ones that have whined about changing to a non groove and sipe rule. Super lates around here are as competitive as it gets. Tire prep is where it's all at. I say run 20s all 4 corners and allow sanding and that's all we need. If we go to a harder tire then we will have more juice being used. Stay with a 20 and there will be less juice being used. Might have a few lose a rr but might teach them not to abuse them like they do with the 40s.
    I will take your word for your area, but I think our area is where it is at. We don't worry about everyone cheating if we run the tires that work for us and can keep using them as long as we want to.

Just realize you will get beat by those 20s that can go 100 laps at Atomic. Figure out how long and what temp to put them in a big oven and you might be ok.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 12-24-2016 at 02:01 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Litey only gets his info when the guys come in to the parts store to buy car parts.
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 12-24-2016 at 03:36 PM.

You just proved master's point.

going to no sipe,no groove = more time to work on the car, the next complaint that i have would be all the different tire compounds, have a soft, med,hard and be done with it, myself I'm in the middle of hell when it comes to tires, we have to have a truck full to race, some tracks are 1350-1600 some are lm20-30-40 some are 1350 spec -1600 spec and even then some will let you run 1450's,ive always have said this, tires are my biggest complaint,because we all have jobs, hell I've spent 1 1/2 to 2 days on tires for a two day weekend,
    im all for the no sipe,no groove, to me its an even playing field(as far as tires), then you don't have to worry about siping them wrong or cutting them up to much

Quote Originally Posted by clayton_wetter View Post
    you just proved master's point.
    really clayton friday portion of the world 100 were considered races 1 and 2 of the year by dirtondirt

Grt74 ump their tire rule 20s on all but the right rear where you can 20 or 40s that was the tire rule for the world and gateway

Quote Originally Posted by mi dirt fan View Post
    litey only gets his info when the guys come in to the parts store to buy car parts.
    i am at the a track every weekend and it the pits after the races only been their since the late 70's

Quote Originally Posted by mastersbilt_racer View Post
    i will take your word for your area, but i think our area is where it is at. We don't worry about everyone cheating if we run the tires that work for us and can keep using them as long as we want to.just realize you will get beat by those 20s that can go 100 laps at atomic. Figure out how long and what temp to put them in a big oven and you might be ok.
    you mean like 20s at the lil race in rossburg also

really clayton friday portion of the world 100 were considered races 1 and 2 of the year by dirtondirt
    And the track was wet for 20s....

We were talking about saturday
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Quote Originally Posted by westlingracing View Post
    calverton is right, actually the real fast guys that should be touring are the only ones that have whined about changing to a non groove and sipe rule. Super lates around here are as competitive as it gets. Tire prep is where it's all at. I say run 20s all 4 corners and allow sanding and that's all we need. If we go to a harder tire then we will have more juice being used. Stay with a 20 and there will be less juice being used. Might have a few lose a rr but might teach them not to abuse them like they do with the 40s.
    great post

Other thing is what works in the St louis area won't work in other areas. And even track to track here is different. So I do believe it needs to be done regionally or locally.
    Dirt and clay content and abrasiveness can be dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by perverton View Post
    You changed the date, we were talking about the World 100 that was Saturday when the track turned to black glaze.

I changed no date you assumed and you know what happens when you assume saturday the track was not at its best with the weather and all you could've ran open tire rule and got the same results and it was thursday night the track was extremely wet and the track was junk it didn't get over till 3 0r 4 am

For one time in my life I will agree with Litey. Wrestlingracing is saying that even if the track conditions call for a little harder than the 20, if the 20 is the rule on all four corners that's what everyone has to run. If they juice it will soften the tire and will for sure not make the 30-40 laps whatever that particular track runs. On the other hand, mastersbuiltracer is right also, a big oven will do the trick and we all know what a racer will do to win. I'm all for an open tire rule personally but the local racers just don't have the deep pockets to keep up with the big names with the backing. Thought I would never say it but the no groove, no sipe rule is the way to go and ink it didn't hurt the racing at Florence or the world 100 a bit. Tires is a subject that will go on for years and years. When the rules get sharp the teams get sharper.

Not even a oven lay the tires out in the sun