Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The case for inverts

Five classes at Senoia Sat. Five fast qualifiers, and four of them won.

1-Riley Hickman, Chattanooga, TN
    1-Austin Horton, Whitesburg
    1-Ashton Winger, Senoia
    2-Billy Stevenson, Locust Grove
    1-Joe Hillman, Villa Rica

Fans want inverts and passing.

I can dig inverts, but only if the track is conducive to passing. Tracks like that are increasingly rare, and that's why drivers tend to hate inverts.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I can dig inverts, but only if the track is conducive to passing. Tracks like that are increasingly rare, and that's why drivers tend to hate inverts.
    I'm more for passing points than inverts, but i you can't pass on a track, they may think about making it into a garden. There is no excuse for a track to take your money and not providing a decent show

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    I'm more for passing points than inverts, but i you can't pass on a track, they may think about making it into a garden. There is no excuse for a track to take your money and not providing a decent show
    you just described 99% of the races at Pennsboro. And yet Carl Short is still in the NDLMHoF.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Why would anyone go someplace where there in no passing. I'd save my money and stay home and watch a F1 race on TV

inverts will and have been debated for a long time.

Dirt Track Racing as a whole (sprints, lates, mods, etc.) are the only forms of motorsport that use inverts (or re-draw), nothing else does. All the top forms of motorsports line up straight up by time (and only run a feature as well).

I'd say the biggest issue dirt track racing has currently is track prep. A poorly prepared track will lead to poor racing period. Too dry it's one lane follow the leader and hope you don't blow a tire. Too wet and it's one lane follow the leader, everyone is fast and the leaders can't even drive past last place.

Very few tracks have consistent enough track prep to allow for inverts (in heats or features) and that is why most drivers and teams are adamantly against inverts. There is no perfect format (straight up starts, inverts, passing points, pill draw), but the racing could be better if track prep was better.

All other top forms of motorsports race lasts hours so there is time and strategy you can use to get to the front unlike dlm racing...

I personally HATE the invert. If a team shows up with their equipment right where it needs to be, why penalize them for doing their homework and being ready, and put some snuck in front of them. I have seen it many many times over the years that a good car, that could be had an actual chance at winning the world 100, be loaded up because they had to start 6th n the heat race and some no name, regional guy that has ZERO chance of winning makes the show.... DO NOT PENALIZE PEOPLE FOR BEING GOOD!

If you do group qualifying the fast guys will race together and those dreaded back markers will run together....maybe you're so fast you should just race with yourself...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    If you do group qualifying the fast guys will race together and those dreaded back markers will run together....maybe you're so fast you should just race with yourself...
    that's why there are dragstrips

I just think the "starting heads up" is a Dirt Late Model thing.....For the life of me, I just can not understand why DLM fans seem to accept this and think it is a good thing. That would never fly where I come from here in the northeast with Sprint Cars and Big Block Modifieds. There would be a mutiny from the fans if they did that every week. Saw an Utimate DLM race last year at Georgetown Speedway with a straight up start and the fans just shook their heads. I guess it what you are use to seeing.?

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    I just think the "starting heads up" is a Dirt Late Model thing.....For the life of me, I just can not understand why DLM fans seem to accept this and think it is a good thing. That would never fly where I come from here in the northeast with Sprint Cars and Big Block Modifieds. There would be a mutiny from the fans if they did that every week. Saw an Utimate DLM race last year at Georgetown Speedway with a straight up start and the fans just shook their heads. I guess it what you are use to seeing.?
    maybe that's why weekly shows for DLM are dying and weekly shows for sprints and big blocks are still going strong?? Don't know, but has to be some correlation.

Back in the day at Belle Clair they qualified and did a total invert...and to combat sandbagging they paid the 6 fastest...

It is not right to invert cars on a crappy no passing track. Of which there are too many cases of it.

Quote Originally Posted by superstock79 View Post
    I personally HATE the invert. If a team shows up with their equipment right where it needs to be, why penalize them for doing their homework and being ready, and put some snuck in front of them. I have seen it many many times over the years that a good car, that could be had an actual chance at winning the world 100, be loaded up because they had to start 6th n the heat race and some no name, regional guy that has ZERO chance of winning makes the show.... DO NOT PENALIZE PEOPLE FOR BEING GOOD!
    X2!......Im ok with the heat winners drawing for their starting spot for the feature, but that's about it!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

If you are talking about weekly racing I'm gonna go totally different. I'm for heats with passing points. But my kick is the top 4 guys in points can start no better than 5th, even if they win their heat race. It will make better racing nightly and for yearly points.
    If its series racing or bigger shows I'm on both sides of the fence. I'm for inverts of the heat winners but not the 2nd place cars. I'm for straight up starts as well as double heats with passing points. But for all of these its like everyone says. TRACK PREP!!! If the track is going to have a series come in or have a special event then they should be willing to have a track good enough to race on. If you have a good surface, then any of these formats will have good racing.

No qualifying, pill draw for starting spot in heats, passing points for heats, then top 6 in passing points from heats draw for starting spot. No invert then. Would make for great racing. The good guys will find there way to the front. And would make for a great shorter show for the fans.

Senoia isn't a good example. I've lived in Georgia for almost four years now. I've seen great racing at two tracks -- Senoia and Cochran. They race from top to bottom at Senoia. If you win from the pole, it's because you were the fastest car. Not because you started there. Inverts, points, etc, should be mandatory at all tracks. If you can't pass, fix it.

drawing for spots equals RACING that's why they are called race tracks lots of guys are good drivers but not good racers quote from roudy burns get u a car and lets see how u do in a crowd !!

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    maybe that's why weekly shows for DLM are dying and weekly shows for sprints and big blocks are still going strong?? Don't know, but has to be some correlation.
    Apparently u have not seen the crowd for the World 100 vs the crowd for the Kings Royal... place looks like a ghost town when the SPRINTS are there n comparison to the Late Models....