Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I understand what you are saying, Fastford. My point is that a flat car would lessen the effects of shocks. And you could always mandate steel springs. As to your point of "These are supers, let technology do its thing" Following that logic, why not just start allowing carbon monocoque construction of the cars, active electronic suspension, no weight rules, open tires, unlimited bodies, etc?? Bub, I agree there could be hike with a leaf, but with both ends of the spring mandated to be solidly mounted and a stringent static deck height, I don't think they could get a car to hike anywhere near where we are. JMHO..
    Last edited by zerolm; 08-31-2017 at 11:15 AM.

A level deck from front to back and side to side, no if any spoiler, a blunt nose, and some more narrow and remarkably harder tires would go a long ways to taking cost outta our sport.

you give a set of rules to a given group of people and it will not take long for a small percentage of these people to find an advantage with in these rule and they will profit greatly of the rest that feel they must buy it to compete , I dont see any way to really stop this , and zerolm, that exotic stuff you mentioned above is probably coming . I am grateful i have the ability to build a lot of my equipment because there is no way I could afford to buy it all and there seems to be only a few left like me , but as for the rest, well its the nature of the beast .

The more you restrict the cars, the more it cost to be competitive. Just look at nascar. Most of these ideas do not sound like they are coming from someone who currently drives. The latemodels of today drive so much better than before. The name of the game is work. It now takes twice the time to properly check and maintain a car. This is a top level class. It should cost a bunch to be competitive. If you want to drive streetstock style suspension, then drive a streetstock.

I think all weekly tracks should implement a steel block rule and some sort of reasonable shock rule...if guys want to run a local track that week put your steel block in and cheap shocks on...I think that would be a simple and good start to try to revive the weekly lm class...

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Bite View Post
    Rules to slow down race cars are hard to enforce and end up costing racers more money. An engine claim is the best way to keep cost down. With an engine claim rule any size and type of internal combustion engine can be used by any racer. No need to limit RPM or tech engine. If one racer wins too much he can be claimed.
    Claim rules don't work because nobody ever claims anything.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Claim rules don't work because nobody ever claims anything.
    Years ago a guy claimed onother guys motor in a ump mod race and the guy was basically in tears begging him not to claim it lol...and the track was against it for some reason first they said he had to have his ump license on him which he did...then said he had to finish in the top 5, then changed and said he had to finish in top 3 to claim..finally after going back and forth for two hours he said forget it...so idk why its so frowned upon but your right people dont do it so it is ineffective...

Quote Originally Posted by zerolm View Post
    I understand what you are saying, Fastford. My point is that a flat car would lessen the effects of shocks. And you could always mandate steel springs. As to your point of "These are supers, let technology do its thing" Following that logic, why not just start allowing carbon monocoque construction of the cars, active electronic suspension, no weight rules, open tires, unlimited bodies, etc?? Bub, I agree there could be hike with a leaf, but with both ends of the spring mandated to be solidly mounted and a stringent static deck height, I don't think they could get a car to hike anywhere near where we are. JMHO..
    I understand what your trying to do, but you can't mount a leaf spring solid on both ends or you have no suspension. I'm old enough that I worked on these leafs back in the 60s 70s. I even worked on transverse leafs in the 50s. We learned a lot since then. If you think you can't get hike, look at a mid 60s mopar mussel car at the drag strip. they hike pretty good. That mopar spring was the spring of choice back then, with a rather long shackle. I seen a street stock hike a good 8 to 10 inches a couple years ago.

If your really serious about stopping hike, just make them put a heavy spring in the right front. A lot easier. It would push like a dump truck but it wouldn't hike. Chain limiters on the let side would do it too. These rules may be hard to enforce though.
    Last edited by Bubstr; 08-31-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Supers on general are fine. Specials are still doing alright for cars and crowds. The only real way to "fix"weekly super racing is to cut down on the specials. That'll never happen though, tracks depend on those specials to make money.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    you give a set of rules to a given group of people and it will not take long for a small percentage of these people to find an advantage with in these rule and they will profit greatly of the rest that feel they must buy it to compete , I dont see any way to really stop this , and zerolm, that exotic stuff you mentioned above is probably coming . I am grateful i have the ability to build a lot of my equipment because there is no way I could afford to buy it all and there seems to be only a few left like me , but as for the rest, well its the nature of the beast .
    True ff......we had carbon fiber brakes in the 90's!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!