Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Gosh every one gets so hostile by one comment lol
    Maybe they need to fill out this form!!!

hahahhaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    Good decision IMO
    How about a N/S 80 next year too????

How many years have they run this Knoxville Not Sprint cars Nationals? 100 was OK before.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    How about a N/S 80 next year too????
    Bloom Bloom would sure like it

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    How many years have they run this Knoxville Not Sprint cars Nationals? 100 was OK before.
    Isn't that race really hard on equipment at 100 laps? I seem to recall that. Really, I do not care because I watch it on DOD, but I thought the drivers might be in favor of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    Bloom Bloom would sure like it
    But the paying fans?

Default Out of fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post
    West Virginia Motor Speedway ran plenty of 100 lappers and I can't recall a time where fuel was an issue. Maybe once but not certain. WVMS is way bigger than Knoxville. Actually bigger than the 5/8 mile they claimed it to be.
    When i was young i saw Steve Shaver run out of fuel there. I can't rember how many laps for sure. I think it was 50 but it was back when most ran alcohol.

They should run two 50 lap features paying $20,000 each since they don't wanna do the whole 100.

whats the problem......Knoxville LM's had a fuel stop years ago. Should have mentioned this long before I bought 6 tickets a few months ago. I feel a short change. Advertise a 100 laps, stick to the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MUD MAESTRO View Post
    whats the problem......Knoxville LM's had a fuel stop years ago. Should have mentioned this long before I bought 6 tickets a few months ago. I feel a short change. Advertise a 100 laps, stick to the plan.
    You say what is the problem? I believe the fuel cell is the problem. Lucas came out with some new safety regulations in the off season and one of them was that foam had to be put inside the fuel cells. So now even though the fuel cell is the same size as last year, it does not hold as much gas because of the added foam. simply put, THAT IS THE PROBLEM....

Maybe they need to fill out this form!!!

hahahhaaaaa
    I don't know if we'll have enough forms. lol

I was kind of upset when I first read this. After thinking back (have run mods and late models there with friends), this track is hard on engines and you are in the gas a LONG time every lap. Much longer than most tracks and there is good bite in the track most nights and a big cushion to lean against. Engines are making almost 100HP more than they did just a few years ago so they drink a lot more fuel, fuel cells are now 2 gallons smaller and foam is required so you are probably carrying at least 3 gallons less than last year. I understand the reasoning behind less laps at this track.

I would rather see a few less laps of good racing than 100 laps with 30, 40 or 50 laps of conservation so they could make it to the end to race.

Not a fan of gas stops, it leads to boring racing before the stop. Cruise and save engine/tires as long as you can stay on the lead lap you are OK. No need to really race until after the stop.

JMO,
    SPark

Wonder what Tony Stewart would say if Lucas Oil or any driver came to him and said " Smoke.....what do you think about making the World 100 an 80 lap race, and oh btw you're going to pay the same purse?" And do this two weeks prior to the race "Tony" after tickets have already been sold. What do you suppose he would say. That's the difference between a track that was built for late models and one that sees them as a guest. Yes, K' Viile is a demanding track, but isn't one of the reasons drivers like going there is because everyone gets paid well wherever they finish. Put a larger cell on them, and go 50 miles.

I was planning on just going to Saturdays race. I don't get to see 100 lap races on dirt. Surprised the promoter waited so long to shorten the race. None the less, I will be there to see Mike Marlar stand on the gas for 80 laps and forget about saving fuel. Hope he is not too light at the finish line.

Quote Originally Posted by NY DIRT View Post
    You say what is the problem? I believe the fuel cell is the problem. Lucas came out with some new safety regulations in the off season and one of them was that foam had to be put inside the fuel cells. So now even though the fuel cell is the same size as last year, it does not hold as much gas because of the added foam. simply put, THAT IS THE PROBLEM....
    I'm not saying you're wrong about the cell holding less fuel because of the foam, but foam in fuel cells is nothing new. They used to all have foam in them unless you ran alcohol (alcohol ate the foam). Maybe with the newer fuel cell designs there wasn't a need for the foam to keep the fuel from sloshing around, or the guys were taking it out to hold the extra little bit of fuel for longer races. I can't think of any reason the foam would aid in safety..... does anyone know the thinking behind mandating it?

But the paying fans?
    No and it won't happen at Florence.

The more I think about this, the more it stinks. The worse part is the disrespect of the race fans. They knew what fuel cell they would use early in the year, but waited till the last minute to shorten a race. I think they should get bigger tanks. Free fuel stop or shortening a race is not a option. I've been going to Kville since 1962. They may have seen the last of me. This wouldn't have happened if Cappy was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    The Pittsburgher is 100 laps, and PPMS is about the same size as Knoxville in the groove. They don't have any fuel issues. Why is there such a difference?
    During the STARS era when ALKY was a common fuel there was always a fuel stop for the Pittsburgher 100. At most big tracks with 100 lap features fuel stops were rare. In that case a carb swap and CAM2 was the way to go.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    The Pittsburgher is 100 laps, and PPMS is about the same size as Knoxville in the groove. They don't have any fuel issues. Why is there such a difference?
    Knoxville is way more 'Hammer Down" than PPMS or WVMS, but everyone knows this going in... I like the aspect of the unknown and surprise, might have even made it possible for a smaller team with smaller engine to take the checkers, but once again the rules are tilted to the ones with most resources. Thanks, LUCAS you eliminated yet another possibility for smaller teams to have a chance.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Bigger fuel cells? Do you remember Charlie Floyd? No freakin way!