Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Johnny Virden was at the Mag running a crate couple years if I'm not mistaken

How bout Rapid Roy Mitchell that ran WoO? Lol

1) Kelly Boen -- From Colorado, he was a scary man to see show up at the racetrack back in the mid-2000's. Never knew when he might whip ya, on OR off the track. Kelly quit several years ago after he got remarried and hasn't raced since, however I think he still buys and sells a few cars here and there in the last couple years though

2) Ronnie Poche -- I still have an old hero card from him I think from the 95 or 96 Topless. Budweiser car. I remember him being fairly fast but never saw him anywhere else, just that one time. (granted I was only like 7-8 years old so I didn't travel much).

3) Johnny Virden -- ? It's been a few years since I talked to him, last I saw him race was down at magnolia in a crate car. He never raced a ton after he and Frye left GRT cars

4) Alan Vaughn -- he used to be a threat to win when he showed up too. I think he has still been racing fairly recent but haven't heard much. I haven't seen or talked to Alan for several years now, not sure what he's doing.

5) Al Purkey -- I think he pretty much switched all to modifieds over the last decade. Al hasn't raced much just some here and there when others talked him into driving a car which is mostly a modified at Salina OK or Caney KS. He called me 2 days ago after he ran Al Humphrey's LM at lakeside and I-80 this past weekend.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 09-06-2017 at 05:34 PM.

What about Kenny Merchant, James Ward and Scott Creel anybody heard anything out these guys lately ?

No knowledge of the added names, but hearing Ronnie Poche brings back memories. I believe he always had super nice looking cars, and was quite successful down south, around Louisiana I believe. I attended one of the early RaceWise classes at Larry Shaw's back in the late 90's. I remember Ronnie attending the class, and I'm fairly certain Randall Edwards was his crew chief at the time (also in attendance). Darrell Defrance was also there, as well as Jeff Taylor, who was just venturing into Late Models at the time.

I know he'd be well beyond his driving years, but is Jim Curry still around? I just caught the end of his driving days, around 2000 or so, but definitely admired what I saw from him. Tough as nails!
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 09-06-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Gang View Post
    What about Kenny Merchant, James Ward and Scott Creel anybody heard anything out these guys lately ?
    last time i talked to kenny , he was like me, lack of extra funds , or at least enough to play this game on the road any more.

Quote Originally Posted by hipower17 View Post
    last i heard napper was real sick.
    I'm sorry to hear this. He always had a nice looking car! Thanks hipower17!

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaws83 View Post
    I believe Jewel retired. Deason was back running a few years ago in a butt paste sponsored car but has since disappeared.Thomas Ware was one of my favorite drivers, he's now in the family funeral business himself in Cynthiana KY
    I haven't heard anything about Jewel lately. Always seemed like a nice guy. Not sure what you mean by a "butt paste sponsored car"?, JabberJaws83. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thextreme View Post
    I haven't heard anything about Jewel lately. Always seemed like a nice guy. Not sure what you mean by a "butt paste sponsored car"?, JabberJaws83. LOL!
    http://www.dirtfans.com/DeonDeason.html

Check out the pics from 2007, that's the car I'm talking about. I think that's the last he raced, but not totally positive

So I say to bad for Richie hedrick.. So sad to see a Old Friend so down and out....I know some did not like him but so sad....Of drivers gone....

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Oh man! Frye is not someone I would want to tick off! As I was watching, that tractor with the forks came on screen and I thought, "Man, they might need that to get Frye out of there!" A lot of carnage in that one. And I'm not familiar with how far apart their shops were in Arkansas, but it usually figures that you go racing away from home and end up having issues with someone who came from just down the road from you.

And yes, Thomas Ware sounds right @slingindirt83. Thanks for the responses!
    Bill Frye is running a mod a Batesville.

Ronnie Poche ran SUPR cars for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaws83 View Post
    http://www.dirtfans.com/DeonDeason.htmlCheck out the pics from 2007, that's the car I'm talking about. I think that's the last he raced, but not totally positive
    Thank you for the link, JabberJaws83. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    last time i talked to kenny , he was like me, lack of extra funds , or at least enough to play this game on the road any more.
    Only met him a couple of times, but from observing from afar at times I really liked c28. JD Caver seemed like as good a guy as you'd ever meet as well.