Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Why can't we have just good ole honest tech? Here are the rules and we're gonna check to make sure you are right. All this claimer business and sealing bolts have proven defeat-able, but with specs you are either right or wrong and you can decide how much you want to spend on your engine. If you can afford to claim an engine you can afford to protest.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Why can't we have just good ole honest tech? Here are the rules and we're gonna check to make sure you are right. All this claimer business and sealing bolts have proven defeat-able, but with specs you are either right or wrong and you can decide how much you want to spend on your engine. If you can afford to claim an engine you can afford to protest.
    I think a big problem with tech is where do you find a tech man with no vested interest in any team or influenced by any promoter or racer...I think thats hard to find... if I was a promoter I would find a tech guy from a different region of the country and would pay him a good salary...if you have honest tech man that does his job I think the cars would come in flocks to race there...On another point I seen bronson had an xr1 for sale 40,000 for I guess the chassis with the body on it..maybe shocks too...smh #costsoutofhand
    Last edited by Illtsate32; 10-03-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Does anyone know who's behind this series? Seems like it kinda came out of nowhere.

I sure wish them luck, but also don't foresee any driver being interested in this. At some point, it's no longer late model racing. Late models are not entry level cars, nor should they try to be made out to be. You can't run new tires??? Some of the rules just seem a little too controlling. Like telling me what valving I have to run on my cheapo shocks? Because they might make me remove them so they can be dyno'd? Come on...

Isn't this street stock now?

Stupid idea tech the crates and b-mods and be done with it.smdh

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Does anyone know who's behind this series? Seems like it kinda came out of nowhere...
    No names is an indication of this never happening.

I saw on their Facebook post that someone mentioned Brian Crebo. I have no idea if he's running it, but I believe he has a used racecar parts business down in the Peoria area, so a possible connection would make sense.

USRA has a decent limited late model deal that seems to be growing....spec Integra shocks is my biggest gripe but I'm not running it. But my iron headed SB
    is legal...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

our limited late model class at TST has held its car count better than all other classes , except the hot shots which are the front wheel drives , and the limited are policed pretty well.

Limited and/or crate late models are the future of weekly late model racing.

Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    Limited and/or crate late models are the future of weekly late model racing.
    Not with correct tech procedures and written rules banning certain type of add ons. Heard that 10 years ago. There was a guy around here had a bunch of crate motors lined up he paid for and with sponsorship money and they didn't last long. Not sure what happened to all those motors. I don't even think the crate class lasted an entire season. You can take a open motor out of car and put a crate motor in and it's still a $30k-40k+ car with all the light weight bolt ons and shock packages

And obviously an economy class could possibly survive at any given track, but to try and make a series out of it? If I were looking to develop something like this, I would have to see a distinct need for it. If you had full late model fields, and full crate fields at the local tracks, and those who were unable to consistently make those shows were looking for something to fit their needs, then a class as such would make sense. But how often is there a full field in either of those classes at any central Illinois track?

The sportsman class used to be that middle ground between something entry level like a street stock, and the high dollar machines like modifieds and late models. But only Fairbury runs those (sportsman) anymore. Who knows, at least someone is putting forth the effort to keep the sport alive and growing.

If a claim rule creates some animosity between some racers, so what ? animosity = excitement

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Bite View Post
    If a claim rule creates some animosity between some racers, so what ? animosity = excitement
    I for one don't like that fact that my car or driver can end up being caught up in an altercation that happens on the racetrack cause 2 other competitors are feuding over a something that started as a claim issue and take it out on each other during a race and others get our cars torn up in the process. None of that helps people bring cars every week.

I've seen guys that had no issue with each other before a claim and then it turns into a never ending battle of claiming guys back and eventually turns into on track altercations or gets turned into that even from something small like light unintentional contract but is perceived as getting back for a claim and just escalates from there.

The other part is many won't claim to help keep costs in check as to not ruffle feathers, then the whole point of the claim is pointless and don't control anything.

Not saying it can't work, but usually causes problems to a point no one claims.

Can you imagine a fan from the stands, claiming a car a probably cheating the owner out o a lot o labor hours and coming to race the next week. What are the odds that he never completes a race and gets claimed that night? Are these racers going to build economy cars or every fan that wants to race? It's not going to work. For a lot o people 12k is pocket money.

Another class is not what racing needs. There are too many 10 car Mains now. Boring and no fans equals no racing. This is for tracks that pay the purse, with the back gate. They need better rules for about 3 classes and make at least two of them a similar chassis, so there is a resale spot to make it cheaper or the top classes.

I think the shock and bump stop rules are good or limited LM now. Anyone caught with more than 8 shocks in the pits is DQed. You have to know, most will be spending on blue printing those heads and making them look as cast. A sand blast and acid etch will do a lot for a machined port. Ask any karter. Angle milling the heads is not very detectable, till you need spacers on the intake ports. If you don't like the cam, change the rockers. Limited engines get expensive also. I had a stock 350 in 67, that pumped more than 185 lbs. It would be great if there was good rules to cut costs. There just isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I saw on their Facebook post that someone mentioned Brian Crebo. I have no idea if he's running it, but I believe he has a used racecar parts business down in the Peoria area, so a possible connection would make sense.
    I asked what his name is he told me Brian Crebo
    I am what I am

That's the same info I got

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    I think a big problem with tech is where do you find a tech man with no vested interest in any team or influenced by any promoter or racer...I think thats hard to find... if I was a promoter I would find a tech guy from a different region of the country and would pay him a good salary...if you have honest tech man that does his job I think the cars would come in flocks to race there...On another point I seen bronson had an xr1 for sale 40,000 for I guess the chassis with the body on it..maybe shocks too...smh #costsoutofhand
    Bronson has the car listed for $32,500 minus motor and seat only.

Sounds like some racers just want to go out for a Sunday drive, don't scratch my car!!

what to do ? getting back in it. rumor has it tracks here in the midwest are going imca rules for lms. with the crates and now the supposed imca rules wondering which way to go..