Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Off Topic - Tony Stewart & Family of Kevin Ward Jr. reach settlement pending approval

It appears a few years after the accident Tony Stewart & Family of Kevin Ward Jr. have reached a settlement pending judges approval.
    Link - http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/04/...dges-approval.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - 5/25 Shadyhill
    2024 Season: 7 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Fairbury (IL) 2, Farmer City (IL) 1, Grundy Co (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 1, & Shadyhill (IN) 1

Id like to see the figures

Blood money..........ridiculous.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Id like to see the figures
    I'd like to take a look at the bud and the thc numbers that would get you so high that you would get out of a stopped race car and walk directly towards a field of race cars coming at you in the opposite direction.

Sorry Mr Ward died so young and not a Stewart fan by any stretch fwiw.

This was a predictable conclusion. Personally I am glad this case didn't go to trial. This outcome is best possible outcome for racing and the least damaging. I'm betting there are a lot of people who breathed a sigh of relief that they didn't have to testify. Not the least of which was Stewart.

It's always impossible to know for sure which way a jury is going to rule but it was definitely no slam dunk for Stewart. I'm betting the settlement conditions will be sealed and a no disclosure clause is imposed within the settlement.
    Last edited by CIRF; 04-02-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Actually forgot about it

Well we all can now , may they find peace

Sad that their drug addicted child died but how does that entitle them to ANY sort of compensation???? SMH!!!!!!

Thats a bit harsh DRJ , there are people racing right now that are taking all kind of meds , IMO , this was a case of temper getting the best of both of them , first, young man should have stayed in his car and settled it in the pits , and second , maybe TS didn't see him or maybe he did and was gone just throw some dirt on him , tony is the only one that really knows the answer to that , either way , a young man is dead , and some one gone get a lot of money.......

For all the negative things that can be said about Ward's state of mind and doing what he did post-accident, just as many negative points can be made about Tony's on and off track incidents in his career.

It's a good thing that this didn't goto trial for all people involved.
    Last edited by Tireguy17; 04-03-2018 at 10:18 AM.

It's sad that everyone wants to pick and choose a side in this scenario. They were both at fault, plain and simple. Each one of them made mistakes they can't take back that night.

Quote Originally Posted by pennsboro23 View Post
    it's sad that everyone wants to pick and choose a side in this scenario. They were both at fault, plain and simple. Each one of them made mistakes they can't take back that night.
    ^^^^exactly^^^^
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

There is positively no question as to the culpability of Kevin Ward Jr. On the same token Stewart's legal counsel must have felt there was at least a decent chance that a jury would assign some guilt to Stewart making the out of court settlement the best and least risky option.

As Pennsboro said, there is culpability on both sides of the equation and those that believe one side or the other is without blame have been proven wrong, at least in the opinion of legal counsel for Stewart.

In my mind it was the sworn deposition of Mrs. Stewart Friesen and Stewart's sketchy history of raging outbursts which had the Stewart lawyers the most nervous. She swore to some pretty damaging stuff for Stewart and his past speaks for itself.

I really wish Stewart Friesen would have won the truck race at Eldora last July. That would have made for an incredibly uncomfortable Kodak moment!
    Last edited by CIRF; 04-03-2018 at 10:43 AM.

I hope Tony Stewart offered an obscene amount of money for the settlement in the form of donations to a charity/ foundation in the kids honor. That way the parents dont get crap, their kid gets the remembrance they want, and if they refused they would be exposed for the money grab that this is.

Sad to see that there is going to be a settlement. That means that the Ward family is going to get something when they shouldn't be entitled to a red cent.

"They were both at fault, plain and simple."

Can't agree with you on that one. I can't see anything Stewart did wrong that night and his so called temper tantrums in the past having no bearing on the night of the accident. The throwing dirt on the kid scenario and the sounds of wheel spin are both a bunch of hooey because the sounds recorded were from the front stretch grandstands and all one could see in the video was Stewart turning left to avoid the idiot on the track and the wing being pulled down by the weight of the kid. The moment he was thrown, the wing springs back up.

Quote Originally Posted by tb1545 View Post
    That way the parents dont get crap, their kid gets the remembrance they want, and if they refused they would be exposed for the money grab that this is.
    I might be wrong but I'd bet a 10 spot that the monetary settlement is sealed and a nondisclosure clause of all concerned is part of the deal. As I said, I could be wrong but it's still a safe bet. A charitable donation would be fitting. The Ward family gets the justice they believe they deserve and Stewart doesn't have to be cross examined by a hostile attorney for the plaintiff. That's a scenario that even Stewart would likely want to avoid. He'd have to set quietly and answer the questions and he couldn't lay a finger on the lawyer doing the asking.

Don't blame the Ward family for the stupidity of the civil court system. If there was no possible chance of Stewart being found 51% or more responsible for the death of Kevin Ward Jr. there wouldn't have even been a civil case to talk about. Never have and never will agree with marginal civil litigation but we've allowed it to happen so it's just a bit hard to fault someone for taking advantage of it. Blame the civil judicial system in the State of New York.
    Last edited by CIRF; 04-03-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Sad for the Kid and for TS having to live with that has to $uck. Money dont fix a thing when they get the Check they will find out..

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    "They were both at fault, plain and simple."

Can't agree with you on that one. I can't see anything Stewart did wrong that night and his so called temper tantrums in the past having no bearing on the night of the accident. The throwing dirt on the kid scenario and the sounds of wheel spin are both a bunch of hooey because the sounds recorded were from the front stretch grandstands and all one could see in the video was Stewart turning left to avoid the idiot on the track and the wing being pulled down by the weight of the kid. The moment he was thrown, the wing springs back up.
    It's clear that Stewart's lawyer's don't agree with you or this would have gone to trial and Stewart would have prevailed. That is if it was cut and dried that he did nothing wrong. When Stewart and his legal counsel decided to settle he assumed at least partial culpability for Kevin's death. Doesn't matter if you believe it, or I believe it or if Stewart believes it.