Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Farmer City

35 years ago when I was a young PR/Advertising guy at a major metropolitan race track I was in charge of an $80,000 per year advertising budget.

One night I was listening to a local radio station at the track hoping to hear my latest ad for our race show that night... a station that got about $15,000 per season of our radio ad budget. The weather was iffy with a 50% chance of rain. My ad came on about 5PM followed by the DJ making the statement that his listeners shouldn't even bother heading to the track that night since it is certain to be a rainout!!!

I picked up the phone, called the station manager at home and reamed his butt for his on-air guy's stupid comment...

While we ran that night the crowd was pretty small... I'm sure that on-air comment on the metro area's #1 radio station hurt our attendcae by at least 1000 fans... geez!
    Last edited by Krooser; 04-14-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

That many people listened to that station that night? Good night for the station lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwalker View Post
    That many people listened to that station that night? Good night for the station lol.
    Im sure the town only had two 2 fm stations and 4 am back in krooser younger days. Krooser tell us about the days when Fred used to win races riding Dino to victory lane, krooser a living fossil hehe

Bite me keyboard warrior... If you're such a promotional genius put your money where your mouth is and get in the promoting business.... Might have to sell your Hyundai and that single wide though.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

That old station was only powerd by an old 100 watt tube type transmitter.... Maybe reached out 40 to 60 miles on a used omniderectional antenna nailed to the side of an out house. Was there ever more the 30 people living in a 50 mile radious of each other in the sticks of Wisconsin? 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    Im sure the town only had two 2 fm stations and 4 am back in krooser younger days. Krooser tell us about the days when Fred used to win races riding Dino to victory lane, krooser a living fossil hehe
    It was probably broadcasting with a CB radio. 9 people heard it maybe. Thay still use them up yonder in Sconsin. No one hes heard of fm radio yet up there 😂

Oh...... and that DJ, it was none other then Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane!!! Coo Coo Coo.... Loll

Quote Originally Posted by CILDirt View Post
    Should have never canceled. Perfect night here in central IL. What a joke FC has become.
    That is funny...obviously you were not there...I live south of there and it rained Friday night and off and on all day Saturday and today.

They tried twice Mother Nature won both times

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    They tried twice Mother Nature won both times
    Even the farmers say they have enuf. They want to plant and its to wet. and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindwalker View Post
    Only 100 listened, but they each had 10 friends and family, they told.

It really don't make a difference if 1,000 didn't show up or just 100 that kept the promoter from breaking even. Your either in the black or in the red.