Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

CandB fan, just wants to discredit mindwalker. Any man with a set of balls is going to do his best to get that driver out of the car. I play with many minds on 4m but its all in fun. I have been to war and I understand the fight or flight clearly. As a matter of fact I was traveling south on I64 in the year 1999 and noticed a cadillac on its roof. I immediately stopped ran to the elderly woman whom was still wearing a seat belt. I smelled gasoline and pulled her out of the drivers side window. When the ambulance finally arrived the paramedics questioned my instinct of getting the lady out of the car i was insulted. She was bleeding from broken glass but I knew she didnt have any spinal injuries. If that car would have ignited in flames I would have got the poor lady out under any circumstance!

Good to see y’all entirely missed my point. Chesley Dixon and Charlie Floyd got hurt/died, because of incompetent, or lack of, safety personnel. This stuff just happened recently. And people if nothing else, because we like to wait till the worst happens, should have reacted to these tragedies and have some proper safety personnel. Only reason Chesley lived was his car was facing the wrong way. So he was upstream from the fuel.

I was not saying if no one else is around to stand their with your thumb up your a$$. But no spectator should be the one on the track period. There should be proper safety personnel, EMS, Fire, or just track workers, out there.

Dam shame these tracks still have not learned their lesson. Then again, drivers shouldn’t race at these tracks either. All it takes is that one time. Sorry no one can look at the big picture. But you go and get about 5-10 people burned, blown up, that’s a helluva an issue for racing. And that track would be done. And a lot of lives ruined.

Guess I just grew up at tracks and go to tracks that have safety personnel. Never realized growing up, that Sharon Speedway has one of the best crews in the country.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Does anyone have an actual update on the spectators that were hit ? It seems pretty clear in the video the driver got out ok with some help.

The part of fence that got hit is where some crew member stand or park 4whlrs to signal there driver along w some pit fans.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Cherokee has always been a dangerous place. The bleachers are too close to the track and the walls are too low. Remember when Gary Webb took down the catch fence there years ago? They at least did make the front outside wall higher down the front straight, but only 1/2 way.

Look at the video. The inner wall is only a couple feet high at best with all of the dirt piled up on it. It's a ramp.

You take your chances every time you enter any speedway. No track is a guarantee for complete safety. Getting out of bed, same deal for that matter...

Some tracks are worse than others but there aint nothing like stranding in turn one at eldora when they are hammer down... You never know, things go bad fast anywhere.

Id rather go to my grave sliding in feet first saying what a helll of ride then not take the chances and sit in a bubble wrapped life of boredom. ✌

Eldora's catch fence on both outside and inside walls are 20 times more durable and much taller than this fence at Cherokee. Crazier things have happened I guess but I feel completely safe standing against the fence at the Big E.
    Last edited by ThebigE; 04-17-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThebigE View Post
    Eldora's catch fence on both outside and inside walls are 20 times more durable and much taller than this fence at Cherokee. Crazier things have happened I guess but I feel completely safe standing against the fence at the Big E.
    As much as I’m not a fan of Tony Stewart the person, what he has done for Eldora, A+. The lighting, catch fence, all of it, definitely one of the safest tracks around period. Cherokee, nope.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by ThebigE View Post
    Not really fair to compare any dirt track to Eldora/Charlotte/Knoxville etc... most dirt tracks are not owned by muliti-millionaires with an unlimited budget. Most dirt tracks are owned or promoted by average people on a tight budget. I agree tracks need to do everything in their power to make the track as safe as possible, but there is no way the vast majority of tracks can keep their tracks as safe as these top tracks of our sport.

Default The Place Your Mama warned You About

Quote Originally Posted by No_Weak_Links View Post
    Not really fair to compare any dirt track to Eldora/Charlotte/Knoxville etc... most dirt tracks are not owned by muliti-millionaires with an unlimited budget. Most dirt tracks are owned or promoted by average people on a tight budget. I agree tracks need to do everything in their power to make the track as safe as possible, but there is no way the vast majority of tracks can keep their tracks as safe as these top tracks of our sport.
    Thank you for posting a reasonable response.

As to the guy who saw a couch nailed to a tree at Cherokee, that had to be 25+ years ago. My first visit to Cherokee was 1990, when it was still the "BIG" track(150mph+ down the straights) and no walls except on the front stretch.

Its the place your Mama warned you about, I think that sums it up nicely. Not 100% sure but I think the wall is actually taller than it appears in the video at that point where the accident occurred, possibly a optical illusion of some sort. First rule I was taught when I started racing was never turn your back on the track, anything can happen and often does. I'm all for safety, but comparing any track to Eldora isn't an apples to apples comparison. Could things be better? Sure. I hope everyone gets well quickly and that any improvement needed can be handled in short order.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude