Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lonesome Pine raceway going dirt

Asphalt track in coeburn Virginia putting red clay down. A nice facility curious to how it will race seeing as it will be the closest track to here
    2018 races: 11
    Atomic (2), 201(5), Eldora(1), Florence (3)

Clay on asphalt, or taking out the asphalt?

Looking at their FB page it appears they are laying red clay over pavement.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

If you were a track owner and you were looking at going from asphalt to dirt would you lay the dirt over the asphalt or dig up the asphalt and put new clay down

If I 'owned' it I would dig up the asphalt... Friendship speedway is dirt on the pavement, taken a lot of work to get the surface good- before it was paved the surface was much better (they have come along way with it over the last few years). I remember I-70 (dirt on top of asphalt) having hole's so big you could see the asphalt under the dirt, fun place to watch a race but man would it come apart.

Quote Originally Posted by racincowboy02 View Post
    If you were a track owner and you were looking at going from asphalt to dirt would you lay the dirt over the asphalt or dig up the asphalt and put new clay down
    Mill it up down to the existing dirt. And you could leave the millings on site for parking, or sell them. You’ll always fight the asphalt coming up, always.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

That makes a lot of since i would do it that way myself that way if you was to need new clay to bring the surface up to meet the base of the wall it wouldn't be that bad to do

Friendship is the perfect example of why they should dig the asphalt up. More nights than not that place turns rough and I’ve NEVER seen it not be dusty. I’d put it right with Tyler county on the dust aspect

Default C&B

It's not always necessary to remove the asphalt to have a satisfactory dirt track. Just gotta make sure you lay enough clay that it doesn't become an issue. For instance, Fulton Speedway and Albany Saratoga Speedway were asphalt tracks and was converted into dirt tracks, and the asphalt was never removed on either. There don't have issues with the surface peeling.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Default Friendship

Agreed switchback.........I've never seen it when it wasn't dusty, but they have gotten a much better handle on track conditions over the past few years.

It's another really cool track in the Carolina's for fans to watch a race at.......that backstretch view from the outside parking area is awesome.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Friendship was the reason I asked the question, but in my opinion, they have almost got it figured out. That place is nowhere near as bad as Tyler County, IMO.

Default C&B

It's not always necessary to remove the asphalt to have a satisfactory dirt track. Just gotta make sure you lay enough clay that it doesn't become an issue. For instance, Fulton Speedway and Albany Saratoga Speedway were asphalt tracks and were converted into dirt tracks, and the asphalt was never removed on either. There don't have issues with the surface peeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    It's not always necessary to remove the asphalt to have a satisfactory dirt track. Just gotta make sure you lay enough clay that it doesn't become an issue. For instance, Fulton Speedway and Albany Saratoga Speedway were asphalt tracks and was converted into dirt tracks, and the asphalt was never removed on either. There don't have issues with the surface peeling.
    Utica rome was in that same situation around the same yrs. I remember fulton changing. Saw some good asphalt races there too. Idk if utica rome left there straights down as they made a bigger track. They may have dug it all up. Good times there in late 70's early 80's!
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

I wouldn't use red clay to start any dirttrack.

Red clay is almost as bad as asphalt. If you're going to switch to dirt, use DIRT.

Quote Originally Posted by chopter View Post
    I wouldn't use red clay to start any dirttrack.
    Red clay makes for just as good a surface as any if you prep it the right way.

Red clay makes for just as good a surface as any if you prep it the right way.
    Correct. Port Royal, Lernerville, and the Atomic that was in Tn were/are pretty good.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

It's not always necessary to remove the asphalt to have a satisfactory dirt track. Just gotta make sure you lay enough clay that it doesn't become an issue. For instance, Fulton Speedway and Albany Saratoga Speedway were asphalt tracks and were converted into dirt tracks, and the asphalt was never removed on either. There don't have issues with the surface peeling.
    While I’m sure it can be done Josh, I wouldn’t trust it, plus it would create some nice pit areas, parking areas, if you milled them up.

I’m sure with enough CLAY, any track would be good. Sharon held up till right before they shrank it. It was showing asphalt then.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Correct. Port Royal, Lernerville, and the Atomic that was in Tn were/are pretty good.
    Sharon is finally starting to figure their’s out too.

I used to assume red clay would work too, until I moved to Georgia a few years ago. I haven't seen a good, consistent red clay surface yet, in GA, SC or Bama. And the ones previously mentioned, that I've attended, aren't truly red clay. They're at least mixed with dirt -- except Sharon and Port Royal, which I haven't been to. Even Atomic in Tennessee, was a different kind of track than what I see down here. Maybe it's the promoters or the heat, or whatever, but the racing on the real red clay is terrible.