Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

An RPM rule of 8k wouldn’t be bad

Huck,

He comes across that he does. But I agree, he would be better off if they were not. He shines at Eldora on overheated, greasy, dying lm 20s.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Rpm rule would be nice in theory. Not sure how you enforce that effectively.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Lightbulb Time To Get Off The Hook...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I don't like this. A bigger crank costs the same as a smaller one. Engines get cheaper when you can't use a big one. This concept is a relic from the days where everyone had a set of 23 degree heads.

And less cubes means more rpm and more top end failures. Bobby wants lms to still "look cool" aka be glued to the ground and get cheaper. It don't work like that.
    Not sure why its so hard for people to understand this. I hear you MB, but the younger generation just doesn't get it. I dropped by to see the patient and obviously he's not doing any better. It's Super Late Model, NOT Crate or Spec. The reason someone like Booby wants to leave the cars untouched is because the current setup rewards "Banzai" style drivers, if they unhook the cars and suddenly they required more skill to drive instead of flat footing they'd no longer be stars. The current setups and cars reward Horsepower as high as you can get it and drivers who don't need a throttle, just an on off switch. If they do anything in regards to engines and don't address the "Un-sticking" the cars things will sadly only get worse. It's time to, "Get Off The Hook".
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Just cut down the spoilers, that is all you really need to do. Cut them down to 4" and you will see things change radically.

Bobby's point is clear thou, the $$ that is getting paid is not supporting the racing and im not talking about 1st place $$, thru the field. The race cars need to get cheaper, or at least maintain current levels, or the Pay outs need to rise. That or sponsors need to come in with more $$.

When sponsors come in with more $$ the racing will begin to get watered down, see NASCAR. That is the last thing anyone wants to see, is a bunch of Nancy boys thanking Mt Dew or whoever at every breath...

Anyway, the path FWD needs to be considered carefully.

I would start to consider controlling the production of tires, if only 3-5 compounds and 2-3 sizes we're produced, you would not need a tire rule. If your going to use one Supplier its easy to do, and if they don't want to conform, there are others.
    Last edited by Kromulous; 09-18-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Just say no...

Engines are not the REAL issue. Yes, I know they are the most expensive part of the car, BUT, if you take measures to limit traction, i.e. suspension and body rules, then you won't need all that power because you can't get it to the ground. That will negate the cost of the huge engines because then you can build a more affordable, more reliable, longer lasting engine with less power that will be able to compete against the huge horsepower high dollar engines.

It's exactly the same principal in modifieds. They have little skinny tires and no aerodynamics hardly, but you can go and be competitive with a 604 Crate engine against a 600HP built motor.

If they would just reign in the bodies, which is probably one of the easiest things they could do, that would solve almost every other problem that they have. The cars cant use all that body roll for fancy suspension set-ups and traction if the nose height has a 8-10" maximum on the right hand side! Put them on a D55 or 1600 tire on the rear as well and we would be back to something somewhat reasonable. And the racing would be better too!

I think im banned again !!

So Bobby is a talentless stomp and steer hack ?? How exactly is he always the fastest at the end then ??

The announcers never shut up about “ oh pierce is destroying his tires !!!! They’ll never last !!!! And at the end of the race he has more tire left than anyone lol

The cost of any form of racing has always been a lot. That has never changed. Purses haven’t grown much. The only thing that seems to have changed since the 80s is the amount of fans going to races on a weekly basis. That is the one thing, in my mind, that has changed the most and the main reason why tracks don’t make the money they used to. Gotta get families there. Clean up the facilities and make them kid friendly so you can hook them at a young age. Give prizes away. Attract people! You own a business you need to get customers in order to make money.

If the drivers want to have a conference about how to make it cheaper then great. Good luck. If you ask me it’s a waste of time because it’s not the problem. Cost to race has always been high but there aren’t as many fans anymore because wives wear the pants in all families now and there are a lot more family functions and soccer games going on than there were back in the day. Times have changed. The average Joe today seems to only worry about how he/she can coast through life and get rich with no effort whatsoever. Look at car commercials these days. Car companies don’t market racing at all. Their commercials are horrible all they do is talk about awards they have won.

A Chevy or Ford commercial in 1988 showed a Chevy Racecar then that same Chevy on the road. It looked similar and made people want it. No one identifies cars with racing anymore they only care if the car is good for the environment. How many Prius’s or Smart Cars do you see at the racetrack? Times have changed and racing has not followed suit. The racing leagues just think we’re all stupid and need to add playoffs and add segments. I believe racing will always be around but it will keep dwindling until there’s about 20-25 guys who can afford to race.

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    So Bobby is a talentless stomp and steer hack ?? How exactly is he always the fastest at the end then ??
    People just love to hate on Bobby for whatever reason, same with people on here with Scott and JD. They're the 3 most popular drivers on 4m. Bobby can flat out wheel a race car, he can make a bad car look good. The uneducated people seem to think he isn't very good or can only run the cushion, but like you said he still has as much tire as anyone and drives harder than 99 percent of DLM drivers. If he was as good with setup as Scott, the DLM world would be in trouble.

Ya honestly forget an engine rule, enforce some kind of shock and spring rule so they cant run this setup where the car is sealed to the ground and its got buku traction. When 900hp will hinder you more than help you in the A main, the problem wiil fix itself...now idk what rules that should exactly be, but thats the area that needs to be adressed imo...

Would something as simple as a carburator size limit work? After the fuel stop at Kville I was thinking why can't we go 100 laps there anymore without running out of fuel?

Come race IMCA if you want a restricted engine.

I didn't mind Bobby until his crying about the track when they interviewed him at Knoxville.

Yeah 800 hp that costs 30-35 k and runs 1800 Laps would ruin racing !! It’s not racing unless it makes 900 hp and grenades after 600 Laps and costs 55k

You people are soooo incredibly stupid . Trust me guys who have the big money will quit eventually when their big money can’t buy them wins ... and the guys that love racing will already have moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Runner View Post
    No way do I want to see an engine cubic inch limit. They are called Super Late Models for a reason. No Neutered Late Models for me !
    They only started calling them Super Late Models (atleast in my neck of the woods) in the mid 2000's when they watered the Late Model class down with crates and steel blocks.

It'll still be the top class of late models, and still be an open motor even with a CI rule, because you can legally open them up and tune, and design/build them how you see fit to make up the max CI.

I personally think unlimited CI is an absurd thing to chase, and there should have been a limit a long time ago.

Now I don't know how you tech 'em. How do they tech the Sprint cars that are in 360 and 410 classes?
    Last edited by brsteg; 09-18-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    "The Wise One"

Raise the rear deck height to 41" then put 2" spoiler on it will put the driver back in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Go back to 2000-ish bodies, 12" spoiler and cheap shocks.

My neighbor a look at my stuff and honestly don't know what they are looking at... When I tell them it's a DLM I get a blank stare... Never heard of them. Get it back to where the public can ID that it's a car and we have a chance if getting new fans.

The big problem with racing isn't car specs....it's getting fans in the stands. We also look at the wrong thing...
    DLM in 2000 didn't look like street cars either. Your neighbor probably hasn't been exposed to much dirt racing. Most people I run into around here don't know that people even still race at local tracks.

I think the late models look sexy today.

Just like the good NASCAR Drivers say . Make the cars were we have to drive them once more. (Speck frames, Speck body's Cut costs by 50%), Put a 2-in high by 2 foot opening on the bottom middle of the Splinter. Air under the car Get rid of the Airo, Now the car can not be run flat out, You have power to pass.. Costs go way down in NASCAR. Bobby Just saying something needs to be done and hes RIGHT.
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 09-18-2018 at 11:11 AM.