Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Never made it to Pemnsboro, didn’t move out of modified country until after it was gone. The stories I hear about the partying at the place remind me a lot of the ghetto at Syracuse though.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I’m glad I got to see it and experience the magic. As far as it ever going back there, anything’s Possible but it’s gonna take a pile of money to get it up to today’s standards.

Why did it close??

Went there when I was young with my dad. We watched the Saturday heats then headed over to WVMS for a race. If I recall correctly Moyer and Bloomer put on quite a show. Those were the days! It was so cold @ WVMS there were building fires in the grass terrace seating.

Done the rt. 50 shuffle many times. To WVMS and back to Pennsboro

Quote Originally Posted by TackyTracker View Post
    Why did it close??
    I believe a bad storm in 2002 washed out parts of the track

I went in '94 as a teen and was disappointed. Of course, I hadn't reached party age yet I also heard that everyone that parked along the access road got ticketed in during the last race in 2001. Must have been a slow crime day for Ritchie Co. PD.
    Last edited by Phatdaddy; 10-26-2018 at 08:46 AM.

I got one of those tickets. Parked there for years.
    Fine was $10. Lol. Cheap parking for a prime spot

Quote Originally Posted by rdcllk View Post
    I got one of those tickets. Parked there for years.
    Fine was $10. Lol. Cheap parking for a prime spot
    Smart man...
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by TackyTracker View Post
    Why did it close??
    There was a bad flood that sealed the deal.

I had a chance to go there once and didn't. Wish I could have went just to see the scenery. But in reality that track was too narrow for a half miler and day racing is almost never really any good. They did not have lights.

Sounds like some people enjoyed being around doped and stupid acting people from what I've read on here. lol

Sounds like a party with some miner racing in the background!!!

I was at the first one. I’d be there.

yelp the partying was more fun then the race jump from van to van drink a few beers smoke a few roaches make a little love and move on but them days are gone but not the memories

The worst place I've ever attended a race, in every possible way. Don't get me started lo!.

I agree TerryM. With it being a fairgrounds track, I wonder how much control Carl had to make it racy ( or if he ever tried). A lot of fairboards do not care about putting in lights, new clay, or track prep.

I was able to go from 95-97 and had a blast each year. 1st 2 years only saw prelims before rain postponed the main nack a week, but got to see good races at WVMS those 2 years. At the time it was my only chance to see guys like Bloomer, Moyer, Boggs and any non STARS or east coast locals. I remember 1 of our local LM drivers and our flagman at the time would always have a small camper in the infield, and would fine any women willing to put a show on for em for stack of $1s. The final year i went my uncle was 1 of the announcers and had his truck backed up outside of turn 1. 5 guys from Cochran Pontiac parked next to us with a van loaded with coolers of beer, random liquor bottles and a jug or 2 with plenty of mason jars. After the race and all the alcohol was gone i see my uncle limping down the hill very slowly. I cant remember what the injury was but i had to drive him to a hospital. He knew i was lost in space but he couldn't work the clutch. So i learned how to drive a 5 speed while trashed, in traffic, going up a mountain. No gps or anything back then so we asked a local, he tells us Clarksburg(i think thats the name) and our hotel was in Parkersburg, the opposite direction.2 hours later finally made it to the hospital, after stopping at a veterinary hospital 1st. Sobered up by the time he was ready to go to the hotel and if im remembering right the speed limit changes on 50 alot between Clarksburg and Parkersburg. Got pulled over for speeding but got off with a warning bc i wasnt familiar with the area, and the cop heard gun shots near us. So yeah id definitely go back, but it was more the atmosphere than the racing, and I kinda doubt it would be the same today.

Dam I didnt realise i typed that much!

went there for years growing up and never seen a race that was at least decent but it was the experience. Get there early in the morning, cold as hell, people already drunk, and they aren't lying about the so called restrooms, wow!!! and the smell of that Italian sausage cooking. That was the pennsboro experience!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jlacey View Post
    Dam I didnt realise i typed that much!
    Don't be sorry because that was an awesome story.

Pennsboro is a big track. I measured it at 2850 ft around the outside even being egg-shaped. That was a crude measurement using Google Maps though.

The toilet burning stories were the first legendary thing I heard about the place.

Wish I could've seen Jim Dunn win the one he did.
    Formerly 66#1

Didn't Kevin Gundaker start, and perpetuate, the tradition of burning the infield toilet?