Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

^^^ I almost guarantee it will. It's common to see guys from Michigan, Indiana and other surrounding states at Farmer City, especially on those three day weekends.

Get down there on a Friday if you can. Some great racing and many of the same names you see at FALS. Typically hammer down to start and like glass come feature time. You'd like it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Some great discussion on both sides, so I figured I'd chime back in as I was apparently the first "Negative Nellie" so to speak:

1) In thinking more about what my issue with the payout is, I realized it is the fact it's stacked at the top. I realize it pays more to start than anywhere else around here, and FALS already did with last years purse, but $2500 to win is just another example of helping those who don't need the help, and that's an all too common theme in racing. I realize it's a business, not a charity event, so the probability that bigger name drivers (like Feger, Schlenk, Shirley, etc) will undoubtedly be there more often is going to put butts in the seats. Nobody comes to watch me race, not even my own family, but I've never raced to make friends so that doesn't bother me. But wouldn't a purse that paid $1500 to win and $400 to start help save racing at the local level more than one that ensures the "rich" will get even richer (I know those guys are not "rich." I'm just trying to explain the disparity.)? And I realize nobody said this purse was meant to save racing, so I'll move on...

2) My point about Peoria was not claiming they might close or something. I'm not sure of what their plans are for next year, but I see they have a SN date so they will be open in some capacity. My point was that they stepped up their start money for LM's this year to match FALS, but I sure don't see them doing it again. So now you possibly take away guys like Drake, Gardner, and Walden (who don't race locally a ton, but when they do they typically race Peoria) and Peoria is left with what...5 or 6 LM's? Are they going to even run the class with that?

3) I appreciate all the constructive criticism about moving down a class, etc. I'm a fan of finishing what I start, and I've raced LM's since 1998 (minus an 11 year hiatus), so the thought of going backwards just doesn't appeal to me. I think I'd rather just step away (which is why my stuff is for sale). So we shall see...

I just hope we can look back in 5 years and say, "Yeah, a top heavy purse was the way to go." I also don't think my view is far off base. LaSalle is hoping to start a trend like that I speak of with their race they announced for next year (paying more throughout the field), but once again, only time will tell. Maybe Tony and I are just part of the extreme minority on this, but I guarantee we are both looking at it from the point of the racer and how we keep guys like me around.
    Preach brother, preach!

I caught Moyer JR in his PRI interview mentioning stopping at FALS is a possibility. How does having someone like him showing up help the 'locals'? Now I am hearing guys are gonna tow 3 to 4 hours to race there? Wow, really?

Top heavy purse for sure and you like you said thats always been the case in DLM racing. I would rather see Joe Local get more to start or run 15th than the top 3 walk out the gate with 65% of the purse. It just makes no sense to me and never will. Its one of the biggest reasons we are seeing less and less cars at the tracks year after year... enjoy DLM racing while you can folks.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    Preach brother, preach!

I caught Moyer JR in his PRI interview mentioning stopping at FALS is a possibility. How does having someone like him showing up help the 'locals'? Now I am hearing guys are gonna tow 3 to 4 hours to race there? Wow, really?

Top heavy purse for sure and you like you said thats always been the case in DLM racing. I would rather see Joe Local get more to start or run 15th than the top 3 walk out the gate with 65% of the purse. It just makes no sense to me and never will. Its one of the biggest reasons we are seeing less and less cars at the tracks year after year... enjoy DLM racing while you can folks.
    I'm thinking he meant for like a SN or PDC event. Not a weekly event. Fergy said something similar to that also. I'd expect to see Fergy at events like PDC, USA Nationals and I-80 this year.

A "big name" coming to our tracks is not good for the facility? And not good for the drivers? I am still blown away by this. I teach junior high kids. Should I give them all a passing grade for showing up? Or should I discourage the top performing kids from coming to class? Competition breeds success if you choose to take it on. Arguably one of the greatest basketball players of all times once said that you only get better by playing against better competition. Sure you may not have the financial backing to compete with brand new top of the line equipment or their book of notes, but if you have a track with top notch caliper drivers you are racing against then it should make you better. Or would it be better to just pay everyone the same? Fans come to see top notch guys fly around the track. The more fans the better the chance of that track surviving. That has not equated to more money for the drivers and car owners yet, but a move like this from FALS may very well have that effect. Everyone wants more money. Well more money brings more competition. That is how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrace09 View Post
    A "big name" coming to our tracks is not good for the facility? And not good for the drivers? I am still blown away by this. I teach junior high kids. Should I give them all a passing grade for showing up? Or should I discourage the top performing kids from coming to class? Competition breeds success if you choose to take it on. Arguably one of the greatest basketball players of all times once said that you only get better by playing against better competition. Sure you may not have the financial backing to compete with brand new top of the line equipment or their book of notes, but if you have a track with top notch caliper drivers you are racing against then it should make you better. Or would it be better to just pay everyone the same? Fans come to see top notch guys fly around the track. The more fans the better the chance of that track surviving. That has not equated to more money for the drivers and car owners yet, but a move like this from FALS may very well have that effect. Everyone wants more money. Well more money brings more competition. That is how it is.
    Very well said. You only get better going against better competition.

This isn't like giving junior high kids passing grades, this is like giving junior high kids college work. Nobody is asking you to give all the drivers equal amount of money. Its takes time for LOCAL drivers to build there race program to be even with the top LOCAL drivers let alone the best in the Region or the best the nation. I do agree that to beat the beat you have to races the best but it's not magic or a video game. Just because Billy Moyer Jr. shows up at your track for a local race doesn't mean you automatically gain 10xp points to upgrade your driving skill, your car or your engine. It's going to take years for the true LOCAL driver to utilize that experience and knowledge from racing better people. If hes making only $60 a night hes not going to be around for every long.

Ok so let's outlaw anyone that is not a LOCAL racer from coming to our tracks. That way the true local has time to build up their program. How many years should that happen for? And let's make sure we tell the fans that we banned the others from coming so that we can build our locals. In the meantime, promoters please pay top dollar.

Whose gna show up that is gna take all the "participation" money? If the pie is bigger as a whole, who cares how the purse is distributed if you are better off at the end of the day if everyone is getting more. And if you cant make an a main at a local track, and you are going to quit over a 100 dollars instead of trying to step up your program, then maybe you should, I doubt it will keep any fans at home and doubt you will be missed...jmo...

Wink

Ok so let's outlaw anyone that is not a LOCAL racer from coming to our tracks. That way the true local has time to build up their program. How many years should that happen for? And let's make sure we tell the fans that we banned the others from coming so that we can build our locals. In the meantime, promoters please pay top dollar.
    I never said outlaw anyone, fairbury has 3 awesome events that pay 10 grand and over. I just think having Moyer jr., babb, pierce, shirley, feger, hecknast, unzicker, weaver, opje and 3 guys from St. Louis show up at LOCAL events is going to help a LOCAL car counts. What happens when highland has there summer nationals and all of these guys show up there? Your 14-10 cars LOCAL show went to under 10. I hope this works out for fairbury, I'm LOCAL and go there WEEKLY but in my eyes if one LOCAL guy quits racing fairbury every week or if this doesn't bring back a couple of LOCAL races who have quit or who are running limit schedule, what good has it done? In the meantime give those junior high kids college work they will thank you in 5 years when they go to college....if they make it past junior high.

If you have those guys all show up to a weekly event even though it's 97% chance they won't. That would be bargain for $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Whose gna show up that is gna take all the "participation" money? If the pie is bigger as a whole, who cares how the purse is distributed if you are better off at the end of the day if everyone is getting more. And if you cant make an a main at a local track, and you are going to quit over a 100 dollars instead of trying to step up your program, then maybe you should, I doubt it will keep any fans at home and doubt you will be missed...jmo...
    That pie is bigger which is outstanding but that pie is still only getting cut in 24 pieces the rest just get tic tacs. Lol
    I'll agree if you can't make a weekly show you need to step up your game but you can't do that without experience both driving and setup wise, and money to upgrade motor or chassis or shocks but if I'm only getting 60 every other week instead of 300, I might as well stay in my 3rd place modified.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    If you have those guys all show up to a weekly event even though it's 97% chance they won't. That would be bargain for $10.
    I'm not saying they would (i dont think they will either) but in all seriousness you could see all of those guys at a weekly show this year at fairbury at the sametime. It would be cool to see these guys for $10 but if I'm a casual fan why would I pay the extra money to go see the summer nationals or deal with huge crowd at the PDC?

I think it will draw more local cars, give more guys incentive to run there to hone their skills and for the extra pay, the reward way outweighs the risk, and the fans win too..great thing they are doing I think I dont see how anyone could make a negative out of it..if you do you are in the small small minority...

Quote Originally Posted by reid boys View Post
    I'm not saying they would (i dont think they will either) but in all seriousness you could see all of those guys at a weekly show this year at fairbury at the sametime. It would be cool to see these guys for $10 but if I'm a casual fan why would I pay the extra money to go see the summer nationals or deal with huge crowd at the PDC?
    Because you get to see the national drivers, the extra pay may bring in a Moyer Jr or a Shirley or Babb once in a while the regional guys are still going to chase bigger purses..I think a mountains being made out of a molehill...

Quote Originally Posted by reid boys View Post
    This isn't like giving junior high kids passing grades, this is like giving junior high kids college work. Nobody is asking you to give all the drivers equal amount of money. Its takes time for LOCAL drivers to build there race program to be even with the top LOCAL drivers let alone the best in the Region or the best the nation. I do agree that to beat the beat you have to races the best but it's not magic or a video game. Just because Billy Moyer Jr. shows up at your track for a local race doesn't mean you automatically gain 10xp points to upgrade your driving skill, your car or your engine. It's going to take years for the true LOCAL driver to utilize that experience and knowledge from racing better people. If hes making only $60 a night hes not going to be around for every long.
    How did school kids get brought into this?

If that way of thinking held true then when the Lucas or Outlaw boys show up at every track every local would be there too but thats simply not the case. The more of those guys that show up, just pushes the mid pack runner to the bottom of the pack or he spends the same amount he does EVERY week to not make the show and watch it from stands.

This can be argued all day long and everyone has their own opinion but lets see just who really takes home the 2500 check each week.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    How did school kids get brought into this?
    Post #84. You gotta read in between the lines...
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 12-15-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Derek Chandler posted on FB that he will compete for the track championship in 2019.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

^^^ I'm glad to hear that. He has always impressed me for how well he runs, despite how little he races. Donnie Walden is another example.

I think Derek and I were at the same race in Florida one year (way back when). I ran #35 as well, and they gave me his payout (which was plenty more than what mine should have been). We straightened it out the next night.

Boosting weekly purses is awesome but you guys should really calm down your expectations for more cars weekly. There just isn't that many cars wanting to run weekly anywhere anymore.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Boosting weekly purses is awesome but you guys should really calm down your expectations for more cars weekly. There just isn't that many cars wanting to run weekly anywhere anymore.
    You forget we live in late model country