Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This may be too old for some of you but I remember when Hooker Hood an Marty Robbins raced at Winchester I don't live far from the race track I could write a book on that place.

Quote Originally Posted by MRM View Post
    Money talks. The people that own the development and marina had the cash to buy the track and close it down.
    I hate to see the track close but you are 100% right. Anyone who had the money could have purchased the place.

I think this is the one that has been up in the air the last couple years. Bob Harris owned it I believe. I guess it was probably just easier to sell than to deal with the BS.

Florence and any track in their situation should really try to buy the land around them if possible.

While I agree, if the track was there first, deal with it. But I’m sure a lot of people who move near a track have no idea it’s there. And can you imagine, having to work Saturday and all you get till 1am or so is car engines? Any of us would be pissed. It’s not like the seller is going to be like, aaannnnddd, you to live right next to such n such race track.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Get.........
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Default CnB

Good point. Maybe if tracks worked to run more efficient programs they wouldn’t be running till the wee hours and infuriating the local residents. In total it’s somewhat of a predictable progression. Tracks tend to be built on land that is not prime real estate, i.e. cheaper acreage in outlying areas. Eventually urban sprawl and commercial development bring home and businesses closer to the race track. And many times the promoter / land owner is happy to see it, for some it’s the only chance to see their racing operation sold for a profit.
    I hate time trials.

They did not waste any time at Winchester drivers meeting at 6 hot laps right after, 11 curfew, been there many times seen over 100 cars races and done with before 10 pm so they were running an efficient show

LMNED10 you are correct except the curfew was a strict 11.30, and some of the Best Racers ever to race dirt raced at Winchester Speedway one time or other. The Speedway brought in a lot of money for the city every Saturday Night, but the City seemed to never realize it, or be for the Speedway. This was a great family race track that opened in 1957 as a car race track, and I have a head full of great memories!