Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    Seven some that looked reasonable in Orange City.About 20 miles south and20 miles east of Daytona. I camp.
    Bubstr, we probably all know what you mean but if you go 20 miles south and 20 miles east of Daytona you won't be in Orange City, you'll be on the Atlantic Ocean.

Orange City/Deland/DeBary area is a nice and convenient area. You can be to Ocala in just under 90 minutes and to Volusia in less than 45 minutes. Not really a deal breaker. If you're lodging is in the OC/Deland/DeBary area it's a 2 hour drive down to East Bay, which is a bit longer but doable if you're only going to go down there a couple of times.

I think were heading down for the modified races at Eastbay; be there from the 22nd to the 26th.

I've looked at vrbo & air bnb but haven't made a final decision yet. I've seen lots of options, so hopefully prices aren't through the roof if I decide to go.
    T3G - Never Forget, Hardly Remember
    Eastbay (5)

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    ZERO, we're set up at an airbnb home in Ft. McCoy. Sadly enough we won't be doing any fishing on Lake George but have high hopes to do plenty of fishing on Crescent Lake during the day and go racing in the evenings. We have friends who live on Crescent 6 months during the year and we fully intend to have them take us out fishing on Crescent as many times as weather will allow.

Our racing itinerary includes going to Ocala for the USAC National Midgets on Feb. 8th & 9th and the Lucas Oil Late Models on the 10th. We'll be going to Volusia for the late models and big blocks on Feb. 11th, 12th & 13th. We'll finish out Speedweeks back at Ocala for the USAC National Wingless 410 Sprint Cars on Feb. 14th, 15th & 16th.

We would suggest to anyone who is going to races in the Volusia/Ocala area to take a trip down to Blue Springs State Park near Orange City (OC is just south of Deland). Very nice and interesting place. If the weather is right you'll get to see Manatee in the spring run between where the springs come up out of the ground to the St. Johns River. Even if the manatee aren't there it's a great way to spend a day. It's worth your time and effort.
    Ft McCoy is a quaint little town, but not much there. Great location for going to Bubba and Vsp!

The speckled perch (specks) are starting to bed and Crescent Lake is known for them. Good luck, you shouldn't have much problem catching plenty this time of year!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Ft McCoy is a quaint little town, but not much there. Great location for going to Bubba and Vsp!

The speckled perch (specks) are starting to bed and Crescent Lake is known for them. Good luck, you shouldn't have much problem catching plenty this time of year!
    We've been through Ft. McCoy a couple of times over the years but it's been a while. We like the out of the way places like Ft. McCoy where traffic headaches are pretty much nonexistent.

The specks are some of the best eating fish there is. We'll concentrate on specks 'till we get enough to fillet out for a meal then focus on shiners to go after large mouth bass and see if we can't boat a big one. There is nothing like a Florida large mouth for fishin' fun!

Some of my Speedweeks memories...

Blowing an engine in my modified at New Smyrna then changing it out in the back of Rusty's Engine Service in Ocala. About two AM we were bolting in the new engine when the SWAT team climbed over the fence and arrested me and my pit guy for breaking and entering and grand theft after someone reported we were burglarizing the shop.

Got out of the cuffs about 5am and raced at Lake City that night.

We were visiting Porky's Place on Rt 92 in DeLand and we ran out of booze (byob joint). Just for the hell of it my boss at 141 Speedway whipped out his winkie to get stamped so he could get back in without paying another cover charge. Sounded like a good idea so we had the girl at the door stamp all of our winkies.

That same trip we found a hit and run victim laying in the median strip. A young girl had been hit on her bike and I just saw her hand come up as she tried to signal us. She had two fingers and a thumb ripped off one hand. I wrapped her up in a towel, stuck her hand in our ice chest and headed east to Halifax hospital. Two miles west of Daytona we got stopped by the Shefiff for doing 85... he took her to the hospital while we waited for another deputy to fill out a report.

Around 1979 we used to stay on A1A in a little mom and pop motel right next to modified legend Ritchie Evans.

One year my pitman mistakenly picked up a TV at one of the bars in town...
    Last edited by Krooser; 01-08-2019 at 12:58 AM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

East West What the hay. All roads lead to Volutia.. They got me in a nursing home for a few days and the drugs are good, in-between taking them and falling asleep.. I'll get these nurses trained and go home around the 12th.

Go to East Bay, plenty of rooms reasonably priced, just my two cents...
    Bo

--------------------------
    It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post

Blowing an engine in my modified at New Smyrna then changing it out in the back of Rusty's Engine Service in Ocala. About two AM we were bolting in the new engine when the SWAT team climbed over the fence and arrested me and my pit guy for breaking and entering and grand theft after someone reported we were burglarizing the shop.

We were visiting Porky's Place on Rt 92 in DeLand and we ran out of booze (byob joint). Just for the hell of it my boss at 141 Speedway whipped out his winkie to get stamped so he could get back in without paying another cover charge. Sounded like a good idea so we had the girl at the door stamp all of our winkies.

That same trip we found a hit and run victim laying in the median strip. A young girl had been hit on her bike and I just saw her hand come up as she tried to signal us. She had two fingers and a thumb ripped off one hand. I wrapped her up in a towel, stuck her hand in our ice chest and headed east to Halifax hospital. Two miles west of Daytona we got stopped by the Shefiff for doing 85... he took her to the hospital while we waited for another deputy to fill out a report.

Around 1979 we used to stay on A1A in a little mom and pop motel right next to modified legend Ritchie Evans.

That's how racing on the road is suppose to be. You need to write a book, might help get that Mastersbilt going a bit quicker. Smart/Camera phones ruined a lot of things that use to be fun.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    That's how racing on the road is suppose to be. You need to write a book, might help get that Mastersbilt going a bit quicker. Smart/Camera phones ruined a lot of things that use to be fun.
    HWM, are you going down to Ocala again this year?

Great stuff....thanks for sharing.

Mistakenly picked up a tv, lol.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

We've been through Ft. McCoy a couple of times over the years but it's been a while. We like the out of the way places like Ft. McCoy where traffic headaches are pretty much nonexistent.

The specks are some of the best eating fish there is. We'll concentrate on specks 'till we get enough to fillet out for a meal then focus on shiners to go after large mouth bass and see if we can't boat a big one. There is nothing like a Florida large mouth for fishin' fun!
    You're right about the Perch. My favorite common fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Perch and Walleye. They are the same family. All used to fish for growing up.

FYI, ocean perch are not the same. Vomit
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Perch and Walleye. They are the same family. All used to fish for growing up.

FYI, ocean perch are not the same. Vomit
    I have never had an ocean Perch, didn't know that.

Zero and I are talking about the same fish but we refer to them with different names. What are generally known in Florida as specks are crappie to us northerners, which are also sometimes known as speckled perch, among other names. Same species and they are IMHO the best fresh water eatin' fish there is.

I would agree with CnBF in reference to salt water, or ocean, perch. They aren't all that great to eat. Grouper on the other hand IMHO is the one species of salt water fish that ranks right up there with crappie/speckled perch for tastiness, and that's saying something.

My Dad had a Ritchie Evans story from Florida also. He was pitted by Ritchie at New Smyrna. Obviously Ritchie ran modifieds, my Dad ran Semi-Lates. Be around 81? My Dad was going for the lead or second on the Griffin radiator guys kid. Obviously they didn’t want a Yankee showing them up, and while my Dads’ cars were nice, they weren’t chromed out. Dude stuffed him. Ritchie wanted to help my Dad and throw down. My Dad knew how bad they were outnumbered and he didn’t tow down there from NE Ohio to run a couple nights tops.

My Dad never paid attention, but as I find different things every now and then, he ran against a lot of good people in the semi lates and won.

Always been a Ritchie fan. Even if you don’t read Krooser, if you haven’t read Ritchie’s book, you should man, top notch.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Zero and I are talking about the same fish but we refer to them with different names. What are generally known in Florida as specks are crappie to us northerners, which are also sometimes known as speckled perch, among other names. Same species and they are IMHO the best fresh water eatin' fish there is.

I would agree with CnBF in reference to salt water, or ocean, perch. They aren't all that great to eat. Grouper on the other hand IMHO is the one species of salt water fish that ranks right up there with crappie/speckled perch for tastiness, and that's saying something.
    Oh yeah, ocean perch suck. Guessing that’s why they sell so cheap. Crappie are good eating. Don’t think I’ve ever had Grouper. Be awesome to catch a Goliath I know that. Snapper are delicious.

I have never had an ocean Perch, didn't know that.
    Steer clear of ocean perch. Personally, walleye, perch, steelhead, snapper, catfish, salmon, and who knows what I’m missing. I will have to try Grouper as CIRF stated.

chupp n bloomer fan Don’t think I’ve ever had Grouper. Be awesome to catch a Goliath I know that. Snapper are delicious.
    You'll love grouper, I'd bet on it. Snapper is just a slight notch below grouper, but that's only my opinion.

Man, all this talk about seafood is causing me to long for Florida and February. We can't get fresh seafood in these parts and there isn't a lot of crappie fishin' going on in our neck of the woods these days!

Hey hey hey......they're royalty down here in the South, aint nothing common about them!

You'll love grouper, I'd bet on it. Snapper is just a slight notch below grouper, but that's only my opinion.

Man, all this talk about seafood is causing me to long for Florida and February. We can't get fresh seafood in these parts and there isn't a lot of crappie fishin' going on in our neck of the woods these days!
    Agree with the grouper......my favorite as well!

But then again, I like most fish!