Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kevin Weaver started driving the 112 after Joe Williams got out of it. The car was owned by Benny Nettleton. They changed the first 1 to a B with tape. That is my understanding how the B12 came about.

Quote Originally Posted by turnleftandgasit View Post
    Kevin Weaver started driving the 112 after Joe Williams got out of it. The car was owned by Benny Nettleton. They changed the first 1 to a B with tape. That is my understanding how the B12 came about.
    An old friend told me Jack Boggs done something similar to that. I guess he showed up with a 34 on his car, and told he had to change it because of another car having the same number. So he slapped a piece of tape over the one side of the 3, which made a B.

I'm sure someone older can fill us in on if it's the truth or not

Saw an article one time about Marlar, said his dad was #57, but the race they went to there were a few #57's, so they put a 1 in front of his.

We ran a cow calf operation at the time and our brand was 88. My wife thought that would be a good # for the race car. I told yes it would. And if I ever wound up on my top it would still be 88 (she didn't like that response.)

From the Speed Racer episode, The Race for Revenge, the number of the Melange's rebirth...X3

https://speedracer.fandom.com/wiki/Melange
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snake X3; 03-14-2019 at 08:25 AM.

When I started racing in the Milwaukee area Midwest Speedways promoted all three dirt tracks in the area...Hales Corners, Cedarburg and Slinger. At one time they also ran Waukegan (IL), Beaver Dam, Franksville and the 1/4 dirt track at the Milwaukee Mile.

They had "track champions" at each track and an "area champion" for the guy with the most overall points. It encouraged more drivers to "follow the circuit" which was up to seven nights per week at one time.

Midwest mandated that each driver who finished in the top 50 in the "area" points run that number they finished in the points... first ran #1... 20th ran #20, etc. Car numbers starting with 51 and up were available on a first come first served basis.

Over the years I ran 133, 288, 112, 51 and a few more I can't recall. After Slinger was paved, and Cedarburg was closed Midwest gradually allowed drivers to pick there own numbers.

Since it wasn't unusual to get 100+ cars in two classes back then, hand scoring would have been rough if you had a bunch of duplicate numbers.
    Last edited by Krooser; 03-14-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

my buddy used to use the number to represent the nuber of race car it is. you know this is my 34th race car i built and ran so its number 34....

seeing that number really does get my curiosity going on my they actually choose that # (69) well when lot people say tht number really only one thing comes to mind! Sure thats not the case for all! Example this 68iou 1 girl that drove still block lates now for sure we all can comprehend what the does mean LOL!

Yea numbers usually trace back to have a connection with a family member somewhere along the line. For me it was my dad. I'd say the longest running would have to be the pierce 32 or Billy Moyers 21.

Ran a 7 on the first car I drove, a borrowed '48 Ford street car I "borrowed"from a college girl, because it was easy to make with some surgical tape. First car I bought was number 70 so ran that for a couple of years, then switched to Phase 3 named after a brewery job we were doing.

Drove a 13 stocker a few times for a friend when that was considered unlucky and we won, I think, all but one or two races we ran. After several years break went to the 4T number because I was by then over 40 and a guy at Santa Maria I admired had a Chevelle numbered 40 and they told him he had to put a number on the roof and he put 4T on it. Been running that number for the last 35 years.