Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sliders

Quote Originally Posted by RaceEngineer View Post
    Hard to see it coming when the guy is behind you and you have a full containment seat and your helmet attached to your back with tethers.
    My Kirkey containment seat and NexGen don’t impair my vision. I can see all the way back to the sail panels on my sport mod and even further back when sliding through the corner.

I think sprint car drivers can also see a slider coming easier due to better vision to their left side too. For a late model driver a lot of times these guys cannot see the car throwing the slider until it is on their nose and by then a lot of the time it is too late to lift even if they try to.

the cars also have more bite with that big ol' wing. That could have something to do with it. Dont slide up the track as bad??

Default Number of reasons

Power to weight ratio, sprints are just under, right at 1k lighter. About the same power. And if they collide during a slider it’s all kinds of bad. And they just know how to pull one better than some late model guys.

To me, a slider is, I have got a heckuva a run and can cut under you, and going INTO the turn, I dive under you, it’s fully obvious what I’m doing, and I give you ROOM to cross over. Not what I have seen from especially one driver, where you drive under someone with not near enough speed, not even close, and coming outta the turn you expect them to lift, know you are coming up. It’s not somewhere you can lift easily, nor is your brain programmed to lift there. Nor should you. If you can’t pass me clean, without me making an evasive maneuver, then you aren’t ready to pass me.

It’s not about the lifting and trading sliders, which is all good if clean. It’s the place you are doing it, and at times the time. If there’s 10-30 laps left or whatever, I’d expect someone to be cleaner. If they are near the front. If not, and you’re marching forward, maybe more chances. But still never parking it in front of someone, or taking off their nose.

And what JD did, bravo. I wish more would do it, then they’d think twice about there crappy sliders.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Martel 815 thank you that's what I was thinking. And Kryptonite i don't know if you have raced before, but when your running the top and someone is coming on the low side, you can see them very easily...

Track conditions play a factor seems to me. The trailing car is riding the guys deck lid but can’t figure out a way to pass in another groove. And finally he runs out of tolerance and patience and skills and throws a Hail Mary slider, sometimes with a bad conclusion. JMO if the only passing you saw was by slider then you were at a boring race. Never forget Birky not clearing Moyer Sr. at Farley, Iowa maybe 15 years ago.
    I hate time trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    There is a difference between "Throwing a slider" and "Feeding someone your right rear". If you hurl you car into the corner knowing full well you gonna collide with the other dude in order to force and/or expect him to lift, that's BS no matter which type vehicle. Sprints, both wing and non-wing throw lots of sliders because they are lighter and more maneuverable than a DLM, but nobody in either division is happy when some A-hole thinks he can just banzai his way thru the field and expect no consequences. Watch the highlights from this past weekends WoO from Lawrenceburg, plenty of sliders, but I saw more than a few get knocked around for making BS moves, including Larson. If a guy comes home more times than not without a RR quarter panel, he's feeding people the RR. No question.

If anybody in a DLM thinks they can feed me their RR and I'm gonna lift for them, they'll be sorrily disappointed. Everybody makes miscalculations, but the purposeful ones are obvious and usually reflect an on going pattern of behavior. Chopping to me is the same also as feeding the RR, and I promise the same outcome for both.

Throw all the sliders you want, but you better make sure your in the clear. It doesn't take talent to dive bomb across somebodies nose and park on the cushion, just a complete disregard for anybody else on the track and a trashy t-shirt.
    good post highwayman , and by the way , were not talking about a beginner in a street stock , your suppose to have enough experience by the time you are in a late model racing with other experienced late model drivers to know what your doing..........

Very well said ff......any slider that ends up different than what you're talking about is either a mistake, careless or malicious.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by smooth32 View Post
    If you're referring to me, the original poster, once again you are wrong. Not everyone has different motives other than the obvious. It is a legitimate racing question. On a racing forum. Maybe you should try it sometime. To all the other replies, thanks for your input. It's nice to be able to carry on an adult conversation.
    So you didn't start this thread to get some possible insight on why everyone always has something to say when your guy throws a crazy one but when the sprints do it all the time nobody does????

And please, it's an adult question .....try to be honest with yourself for once about it.

It's really pretty obvious, and that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    So you didn't start this thread to get some possible insight on why everyone always has something to say when your guy throws a crazy one but when the sprints do it all the time nobody does????And please, it's an adult question .....try to be honest with yourself for once about itIt's really pretty obvious, and that's ok.
    You dont want honesty, you want drama. First off, I don't have a boy. Second, it's a legitimate racing question on a racing forum. Up til now, the posters have all givin very good reasons they think sliders are good, bad, right, or wrong. It's not about Pierce, Bloomer, JD or anyone in particular. You have this weird infatuation or obsession with Pierce and his fans. ANY thread with his name In it you will outpost anyone. And any thread that's not about him, you will bring him up, like this one. You want honesty? Start by looking in the mirror. You got to be honest with yourself before you can go demanding it from someone else. Now be a good 4m poster and try not to ruin another good thread.

Whatever you say missie.....but it's pretty obvious.

And never said you had a" boy" son......pay closer attention and quit being so insecure about your favorites.

A thread about sliders and why folks complain about them by a Pierce posse member and it not be about anyone in particular ??? Sure, let's go with that.

Denial , it's what's for breakfast.

Not that I have to explain, but I just so happened to watch the Lawrenceburg race where Christopher Bell flipped. I dont watch sprints much. I happened to noticed with my eyes that the sprint guys throw a lot of sliders and it seems to be the norm. There is a big difference in the acceptance of sliders. THAT is all. Get over your Pierce thing dude. You are worse than the people you accuse.

And for the record, I'm not a Pierce posse member.

Sure thing missie......I'll bet at least 4 or 5 people believe both of those posts.

Give me a fn break.

Back in the 80's...Every Monday after work...I'd grab my mid American and a 12 pack...
    Id meet up with a couple of buddies and talk about the the race we just attended and we would flip through the mid American and see where we were gonna go next week...life was good....drinking beer...talking racing...going to races...cant beat it...then in 2000 I got my first computer and joined the 4m...it was even better...you could do the same things I did on Monday nights...every night...with 1000's of race fans... not just my 2 buddies...those were the good ol days...where you could talk racing...have differences of opinion...it sure was a fun place to go...just like my Monday nights....but now...you cant even post anything without scrutiny....4m 101

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Martel 815 thank you that's what I was thinking. And Kryptonite i don't know if you have raced before, but when your running the top and someone is coming on the low side, you can see them very easily...
    When you have them by a car length entering the turn, you don't see squat.

i dont care whether i see them or not , when im running the top , you best have me cleared when you pull a slider on me ,

So True!
    Lots of things are hurting the society in which we live: lack of morals, lack of self respect, drug addiction, politics/government, and to a certain degree social media/internet. I just wish that all of us in the “Dirt Racing Family” could get along & enjoy this sport we love! Dirt Racing fans for the most part are good-hard working people. Reference Point: go to the NASCAR truck race at Eldora- different group of folks mostly. In the years of the Prelude to the Dream- WOW- I felt as if I was at the Indy 500 or the Kentucky Derby! It was just a lot of rude people there who didn’t know anything about dirt racing. All they knew was their NASCAR Drivers were there. Besides the cars being so slow (track prep) to keep the drivers safe- the fellowship/friendliness of all the people around you was totally opposite of say- going to the Dream or World. I personally think the “Dirt Family” are much better grassroots people.With all this rambling I have just said: CAN’T WE ALL JUST TRY TO GET ALONG” ? 🏁🏁

Quote Originally Posted by smooth32 View Post
    the cars also have more bite with that big ol' wing. That could have something to do with it. Dont slide up the track as bad??
    Smooth, you're absolutely correct in reference to the winged sprint cars. They are pinned to the track even more than the dirt late models and they also have that big ol' right rear that they can lean on.

As a general rule the winged sprint cars (WoO, MOWA, All Star Circuit of Champions, etc.) seem to throw noticeably fewer sliders than their counterpart's, the wingless 410's (USAC, WAR, etc.) and the full house midgets (USAC & POWRi). The wingless cars seem to be more reactive to a particular groove and the slider is sometimes the only way for a faster car to overtake a slower car. The wing cars seem to be able to move around on the track and with all the down-force the wings create they don't lose as much speed as the wingless cars when they move from one groove to another in an attempt to pass another car. Like I said, that's the way it seems to be. I have no real conclusive evidence to back that theory up.