Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Portsmouth raceway park

Going to Dirt Track World Championship in October. Where is the best place to stay?

We stay at the Super8. It just had a remodel last year. The Ameristay i would be leery of, they booked us at one price then charged us another. We weren’t the only people done that way 3 years ago. The Holiday Inn downtown is nice but could be tough getting a room. Good luck

Definitely stop in the Ribber and have a steak. I am digging the thought of one right now!!

If you cant stay at the holiday inn downtown, stay in Waverly or Jackson, take my word on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomerdirtking View Post
    Definitely stop in the Ribber and have a steak. I am digging the thought of one right now!!
    From what I hear, the brewery is pretty tasty too. I live in the area and never have ate there. Been to the ribber several times, never left hungry or dissaponted.

Used to be an apprentice brewer and in sales and distribution of their beer when they first started bottling and selling outside of the Brewery. I was in college so you can imagine it being a dream job! Never has disappointed me since I was legal to drink, they also started some race weekend specials if you have a race shirt on a couple years back. Oldest operating Brewery in the state of Ohio THE Portsmouth Brewing Company est. 1843.

we have done the brewery several times and it is worth a visit. they have a ribeye dinner on DTWC weekend that is worth checking into. and the Portsmouth Red is a dang good brew.

Definitely do the brewery. We go there every day. Better check into hotels ASAP because I know they book up.

Also, check out the murals downtown on the flood walls and by the river, really awesome.

For the labor day weekend race last year i stayed in the quality inn up on the hill and it was fine. nice clean place to sleep.

Bring a pair of face goggles for the race .... Its a dust/sand storm ....
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by RACING NUTS View Post
    Going to Dirt Track World Championship in October. Where is the best place to stay?
    The Holiday Inn downtown is really nice. A lot of racers stay there, for being in Portsmouth, it’s very nice. But I’d say it’s booked for sure. Only place I can vouch for.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Investors have announced plans to build a new 7 story hotel building across the street from the downtown Holiday Inn, however it won’t be completed until next year. Lots of work going on in the Boneyfiddle area of Portsmouth.

Why????

Very sad the way Portsmouth is. No way I’d put up money to put a hotel there.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Now, new hotel in Myrtle Beach oceanfront, I’m in on investing.

Not without a bunch of Benjamin's you ain't, lol.

And good luck finding any ocean front that isn't already taken.

I get your point about Portsmouth though.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Not without a bunch of Benjamin's you ain't, lol.

And good luck finding any ocean front that isn't already taken.

I get your point about Portsmouth though.
    Oh, don’t get me wrong, just saying, Portsmouth, that’s a pass. Was just at Myrtle, there are some empty lots. But I think they were old hotels. Trust me, the days of 3-9 stories hotels there are over. 20+ stories. Ours was 23 because you don’t count 13, 24 floors, they have a new one that I assume is actually 26. It’s a Hilton, as was the one we stayed at.

I’d say in the next 10 years the view there is going to change a lot. Just a huge influx of money. We enjoyed it even in peak season.

Default C and B

I've lived near there since I got out of school back in the 80s.......and grew up about 50 miles north of there in NC along the coast.

What you are seeing with the empty lots are exactly as you described.....old hotels that have been demolished to make fancier nicer ones.

The view has changed dramatically in the last 20 years, and will continue to change as long as people want to come spend the money........I know the place you stayed at, hopefully you found a place near it called magnolias for breakfast or lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    I've lived near there since I got out of school back in the 80s.......and grew up about 50 miles north of there in NC along the coast.

What you are seeing with the empty lots are exactly as you described.....old hotels that have been demolished to make fancier nicer ones.

The view has changed dramatically in the last 20 years, and will continue to change as long as people want to come spend the money........I know the place you stayed at, hopefully you found a place near it called magnolias for breakfast or lunch.
    No I didn’t man. Didn’t even see it. And we drove up Ocean Blvd, Kings Hwy, and walked the Boardwalk. Did some putt putting, Skywheel, ocean swimming, beach walking, kayaking, Ripleys Aquarium, and are at a lot of places.

My wife and I’s favorite is the new Wicked Tuna at the 2nd Ave Pier.

Ate*

Good thing is they have room and demand for hotels.

its not the bargain vacation it used to be , but if you look around you can find some good deals......a whole lot of big business and big money have changed our mom and dads vacation myrtle beach,some good some not so good.

They have a wicked tuna down south from myrtle beach in a little fishing village called Murrels Inlet.....that whole area is a very cool spot to find and some of the best seafood you'll eat anywhere.