Default Dirt Million camping

We are coming up on Thursday and camping in lot A for the first time this year. We were there last year for the race but didn't camp, we stayed at a nearby hotel. Has anyone on here ever camped in this lot? What can you tell me about it? Is it level? Gravel or grass? Any shade? Do they park you or are you on your own? Are there any restaurants near the track? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I don’t know anything about the camping but: make sure you visit the Mansfield Prison(1/2 mile from the track. Awesome place where the movie Shaw Shank Redemption was filmed.

We camped in lot a last year it was freshly cleared land last year so it was basically a large dirt lot. It was reasonably level in most areas. They did have good access roads and nice clean Johny on the spots. I would hope a year later that it's grass but won't know until we get their. Parking was pretty much a free for all but their was plenty of room so i didn't have nor did i see anyone have any issues.

Lot A is where the drag strip was originally going to go through so it's more or less just old farm land.

A few extra things to do if you're going in early, or looking for local stuff close to the track;

Plenty of golf courses;
    Forest Hills is a Par 3, Oak Tree is a pretty easy, but nice normal course, Deer Ridge is the most challenging close course.

Food;

Porkys Drive in, trust me on this, make the 8 minute drive at least once. Get a milkshake and onions rings, plus whatever else.

Mr Hero, just down from porkys, but if you've never had one, go and get a Roman Burger plus waffle fries.

Steves Dakota Bar and Grill, steakhouse that is really solid

For a high class meal, Skyway East, just east Reed Rd/Rt30, just before 30/71 interchange

Downtown has some new nice bars, brewery's, winery's, that all came about after I left, but also a historic Carousel right by all of these. Nice places, little higher class but not over the top.

MVP's sports bar as well, close to the carousel and great food.

There is a nice go kart, mini golf, batting cages place in Lexington with a restaurant/bar; The Infield/Bucks Bar and Grill.

If you are looking to get away from the track and do some hiking or historical stuff; Malabar Farm, Gorman Nature Center, and as mentioned Mansfield Reformatory where Shawshank was filmed, last weekend was the 25th anniversary actually.

I recommend staying away from the Park Ave and 4th street bars, or anything in the old industrial area.....