Default Best Talladega / Dixie Speedway memory

In 2000, we went to Dixie to watch Bloomquist dominate the HAT shootout, then listened to MRN on the way home Sunday as Dale Sr. won his final cup race.
    Great weekend.

Dixie.... running hot wheels down ramp truck ramps, being snuck in the pits under coats in the same ramp truck, the first Hav-A-Tampa shootout, numerous others.

TST..... Watching a good friend top almost 100 cars in his first ever crate race in 2008. Seeing him drive by RJ to win the same race in 2011. Listening to voiceman. Hanging out with a new friend that has turned into a lifelong good friend. The annual trip to the ice bowl with my dad. We need to do that one more time.

It’s funny, a ton of my best memories from going to races don’t actually involve race cars.

Meeting for the first time Perry Holman at TST. Having Perry invite me up to the tower, sitting next to him call a race. Listening to his stories, advice, and direction. Hanging with Perry at his last race that he called. Marveling at how (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good this guy is/was. One thing that really stuck in my mind and it still/now, makes my eyes wet, when he told me that he thought one day I would take his chair.

That spot in the TST tower, even the new one is his seat, I am just filling in. Loved that guy, he tought me so much, he is a legend and a announcing hero to me and always will be. That time with Perry will always be paramount to any race I've seen at TST. Crazy that it has been since 2010 that he left us.

The Voiceman, Perry Holman, never forgotten, still so admired.

LMM
    TST Announcer

Starting in 1997, going to the Shootout and then later Rome also, that was my dad and I's annual pilgrimage! He always had to eat lunch at Sonnys and buy an extra dinner so he could park on the fence outa 2 and not leave his seat!

He passed away in 2009 and those races at this time of year, cause me to stop and think, and thank, of him!

Good times and memories!

You jax folks and your dam sonnys...

Cool memory man.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post

Cool memory man.

LOL...…..their bbq is decent, but their sides are the best in town! I like the sides about as good as the meat, esp good creamy cole slaw!

On a side note...….my dad was an acquaintance of Sonny and Bobby Tillman. He really got to know them when he inquired about buying 5 franchises. that really got the Tillmans attention. But of course, my dads bank, whom he had done millions of dollars of deposits with, promptly told my dad, a bbq restaurant would NEVER make any money! And yes, the next day my dad closed all his accounts with that bank and moved to another! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post

Cool memory man.
    That sweet sauce ain’t no joke.....

Default Sorry about the thread hijack

But I couldn't let your post pass BK without saying dam skippy on the sweet sauce.......best commercial sauce hands down, kills sweet baby rays.....we soup it up a little and use it on all kinds of stuff.

My grandparents lived almost their entire adult life ( bout 70 years)in jax Florida , they loved them some sonnys too......there at the end we ate there or got it to go a bunch, was one of their favorites.....extra sweet sauce a must.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

That's too sweet to me, I like the sizzling sweet!

TST - The Ice Bowl where it literally was an Ice Bowl! Forget the exact year (Maybe 09 or 10). Where it was so cold the track literally froze. Remember seeing the supers on the track and the moisture was coming back to the top of the dirt. You could literally see it freezing at the bottom and working its way up to the top of the track.

Dixie - Shout out to local SLM driver Wayne Echols. He went toe-to-toe with Shane Clanton one regular race night. The two raced side-by-side for most of the race. Echols just did edge him out at the start/finish line on the last lap. Crowd went nuts. Dixie gets a lot of bad reviews on here (Agree some are fair) but that night the track was very racy and fantastic show! Link to this race (Last 9 laps) below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBCr1ShAPTg
    Last edited by weatherman85; 10-15-2019 at 08:14 AM.