Thumbs up Track Promoters Please Read. Just some thoughts that could be helpful to all promoter

As we all know, fan counts are dropping every week. Go to OneDirt.com and read the 4 part series about being a track Promoter. Very good ideas on here that cost nothing.. Several ideas on here hit home at every track.. Not dogging on anyone on here or any track, just read it for your selves and see what a difference it can make. Dirt track racing in general can use any ideas to get the younger crown out. There are a lot of good ideas there and on the links to each part that there posted on the OneDirt.com Facebook page by fans and fellow track promoters.

I BELIEVE ALL AND I MEAN ALL TRACK PROMOTERS NEED TO READ IT. STOP FOR A SECOND. JUST BECAUSE YOUR A PROMOTER DOESN'T MEAN YOU KNOW IT ALL. JUST BECAUSE A FAN IS A FAN DOEN'T MEAN HE OR SHE CAN'T CONTRIBUTE A GREAT IDEA OR THOUGHT <> MAYBE ONE OF THOSE FANS WAS A TRACK PROMOTER IN THE PAST AND MIGHT HAVE AN IDEA FOR YOU TO THINK ABOUT AND OR TRY. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN BEING A PROMOTER AND JUST RUNNING A RACE TRACK. SOME TIMES THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX IS THE BEST IDEA ATTRACTING OLD, YOUNG, AND NEW FANS TO THE RACE TRACK.

Not Dogging on any one track or promoter. Just some good thoughts and helpful ideas.

www.OneDirt.com

-

In the second paragraph i'm not yelling. Just decided to type that in all capitol letters.
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 12-08-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - 5/25 Shadyhill
    2024 Season: 7 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Fairbury (IL) 2, Farmer City (IL) 1, Grundy Co (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 1, & Shadyhill (IN) 1

Thanks for sharing my post from another forum,,,should have thought of it myself,,,a lot of promoters are just gate openers anymore
    We build fast race cars,,not race cars fast!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by backspace View Post
    Thanks for sharing my post from another forum,,,should have thought of it myself,,,a lot of promoters are just gate openers anymore
    I saw it on the STL Racing,com forum and thought it should be posted here. Even replied to it there as well.
    Nathan Stephens

2024 Season: 7 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Fairbury (IL) 2, Farmer City (IL) 1, Grundy Co (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 1, & Shadyhill (IN) 1

Well that is a good idea but they won't read it they would not listen if you read it to them I've gave them plenty of ideas from ways to make more money too pleasing the crowd at the race track like talking to a wall I've came to the conclusion they want to lose money.

Most promoter's would not think the article involved their track or them.

Every promotor out there thinks there way is the right way and it's the race teams fault for not showing up or the fans fault for not wanting to spend more.

Let's not blame your gate fee's are ridiculous, let's not start the show on time because enough fans have not come threw the gate. Let's run every division we can so that the back gate, which is where a promotor really makes his money, is higher. Let's run the headline division as late as possible so we can sell that last dog or burger with a drink for 10 bucks.

Yea that probably sums up the majority of promotors I would say. Come out to central pa. There's enough tracks that if a promotor pulled that crap the place would go downhill really fast.

I watched an older race on Lucas oil tv from a beautiful track out in Minnesota ......was a big mod race with a ton of heavy hitters.

They started it 3 wide like they do the Indy 500.....,not sure as a driver I would like it a lot, but from a fans perspective it was cool as hell.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    I watched an older race on Lucas oil tv from a beautiful track out in Minnesota ......was a big mod race with a ton of heavy hitters.

They started it 3 wide like they do the Indy 500.....,not sure as a driver I would like it a lot, but from a fans perspective it was cool as hell.
    That's what I'm talking about. It's been a while since I've seen an actual promoter. Do something to get folks in the stands. Sometimes gimmicks very work. Even if it's something as easy as you offering maybe lets say $2 off general admission for bringing a can good for charity.. Promoters essentially have stopped thinking outside the box to get fans there. I seen where one track had a sign at the pit game "Fight on the track $100. Fight in the pit you go to jail".
    Nathan Stephens

Lots of free things that promoters can do to run a show professionally.

I sent this list to a struggling local track and they were too dumb to try it. Nothing below costs the track money and the example below is for a 6pm start time.

1. Start on time every week. National anthem should be at 5:55 like clockwork.
    2. Drivers meeting at 4:45pm sharp. Do we even need one each week? 95% of them are pointless.
    3. All cars that are ordered to pack must be in staging at 5:20 otherwise you start at the tail of your heat race. Be strict and the drivers will listen after one time of being penalized.
    4. Hot laps start as soon as the track is packed in.
    5. Only give them a green, white, checkered per session unless the track is slimy. This will conserve the track. Heck, if it’s not slimy hot laps are not needed at all.
    6. Hot laps end at 5:50, this gives the flag an and workers a 10 minute break until racing starts at 6.
    7. Green flag flys right at 6pm.
    8. Push the show through, even if there isn’t a chance for rain. There’s a reason most movies are 120 minutes long, not 5 hours. This will allow more people who want to travel, are old, children, or even people who have to work the next day more time to get home.
    9. Thank the drivers for supporting you each week at the drivers meeting.
    10. Individually thank non regular drivers for showing up and tell them you appreciate them for coming.

I would say a driver's meeting every three nights. If you have a new driver or someone who was not there, then they can have a small meeting with them just to confirm things.

The worst part of our sport has to be the length or shows and not starting on time. We need to be done by 10pm period. This allows fans time to go in the pits and enjoy themselves. They get to meet drivers and have new, young fans get up close and personal with them.

My suggestion would be to STOP BLAMING FANS FOR EVERYTHING THAT GOES WRONG! If a business fail, it's poor management. End of story. I hate hate hate hearing people in power positions blaming the ones who are spending their money on the sport they love. If they're bad mouthing the track, take into consideration what it is they are complaining about and try to resolve it.

Quote Originally Posted by hjr2 View Post
    My suggestion would be to STOP BLAMING FANS FOR EVERYTHING THAT GOES WRONG! If a business fail, it's poor management. End of story. I hate hate hate hearing people in power positions blaming the ones who are spending their money on the sport they love. If they're bad mouthing the track, take into consideration what it is they are complaining about and try to resolve it.
    It's that dang social media ruining the sport...... Not the improperly run show or bad calls made by the tracks.