Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default (maybe) unpopular opinion time

Carbon fiber should be next to titanium in the late model rule book for banned exotic materials

Carbon fiber costs about 5-10x more than aluminum or plastic, and requires a specialized manufacturing process that very few racers has the ability to do in their shop. It doesn't add anything to the sport, other than allowing the well funded teams to replace as much of their car as they can (driver cowl, hood, spoiler, roof, bolt-in tubes, seats, etc) to save weight, which actually does have a small benefit.. It's not like it pushes the sport forward or requires any creativity.. just cash.

Prove me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Burke1118 View Post
    Carbon fiber should be next to titanium in the late model rule book for banned exotic materials

Carbon fiber costs about 5-10x more than aluminum or plastic, and requires a specialized manufacturing process that very few racers has the ability to do in their shop. It doesn't add anything to the sport, other than allowing the well funded teams to replace as much of their car as they can (driver cowl, hood, spoiler, roof, bolt-in tubes, seats, etc) to save weight, which actually does have a small benefit.. It's not like it pushes the sport forward or requires any creativity.. just cash.

Prove me wrong
    On the list of things that cost racers too much, carbon fiber body parts are pretty low on the list.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I’m guessing he’s referring to sheppards seat.

They don't enforce titanium now. Plenty of Ti rods in engines. Most likely used in other less spendy places as well.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Bloomquist had a complete c0ckpit made from carbon fiber at one time. I dont know if he still has it that way or not.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Bloomquist had a complete c0ckpit made from carbon fiber at one time. I dont know if he still has it that way or not.
    Wasn’t that a big deal at Eldora a couple years ago?
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Uou may have an argument to ban Carbon Fiber for certain components but banning completely would be a mistake. Drive shafts are a huge safety risk being made out of anything else. I won't let a car I work on go on the track without one.

While I don't really disagree with carbon should be somewhat illegal for cost purposes, keep in mind that a carbon seat fits better then an aluminum seat could ever be made to fit. With that said a custom fitted carbon seat like Nascar cup cars use is about 5K a seat.

https://www.ultra-carbon.com/wp-cont...ocki-Seats.jpg

A drag race type carbon seat^: while not exact but somewhat similar and thin, requires a steel support frame and is what Big Chief didn't have in his car in the crow when he wrecked and rolled and is why he broke his back. The seat broke because it didn't have the framing and he was then not held in the car correctly by the seat belts.

https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.2...ime=1580322480

A nascar type circle track seat^ pictured above is 5995.00

Josh, I think that was the same year as the big tire gate blow up.

Here's a question to ponder. What if a sanctioning body passing rules like this outlawing materials that make the cars safer, like carbon fiber driveshafts and seats, results in someone getting hurt or God forbid killed, as a result of it? Who's going to take responsibility?

Rule changes should be well thought out and all possible consequences considered before being implemented.

I could see it if there was no minimum weight rule but everyone has a to weight the same. Also carbon is tougher than sheet metal so maybe it saves money because you don’t replace beat up pieces as much. I know (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pits and panels that are used in carbon don’t get tore up that much anyhow, but just a thought

When carbon fiber breaks (it happens) the shards become high tech razor blades.

I saw a TV show a few years ago and they showed CF body parts after an on highway crash...scary.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Since racing series enforce weight rules saving weight is not the issue. Being able to place the required weight where it is most advantageous is the goal.

Make the driver pay for it. Seats have come a long way as far as safety, which is a good thing. Do you need a carbon fiber seat ? NO Do you need carbon fiber body panels ? NO. The carbon drives hats are about the only thing I can say adds to safety concerns to a degree. Unless your driver can't make weight, because all cars go across the same scale, it's all show and no go.

Driveshafts I agree, they are safer. I did forget about that. Seat, I am not sure about. The seats are more than 5g last time I heard and are about 10lbs lighter.. I bet someone could spend about 30-50g and save 200lbs of weight off the car switching everything they could to CF. Would they have an advantage? Absolutely. Rather than the sanctioning bodies letting everyone keep pushing and pushing until they have to change the rules to grandfather in the whole country's race cars, I think it would be a good idea to get ahead of it (for once).Rule: No carbon fiber/kevlar or similar composites other than for driveshaft and seat.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Make the driver pay for it. Seats have come a long way as far as safety, which is a good thing. Do you need a carbon fiber seat ? NO Do you need carbon fiber body panels ? NO. The carbon drives hats are about the only thing I can say adds to safety concerns to a degree. Unless your driver can't make weight, because all cars go across the same scale, it's all show and no go.
    It allows you to place ballast in other spots to improve the handling of the car. It is an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan2k4 View Post
    Here's a question to ponder. What if a sanctioning body passing rules like this outlawing materials that make the cars safer, like carbon fiber driveshafts and seats, results in someone getting hurt or God forbid killed, as a result of it? Who's going to take responsibility?

Rule changes should be well thought out and all possible consequences considered before being implemented.
    Outlawing a CF seat does not make people less safe. Some of the current, mandated, safety devices do increase "minor" injuries now, at the trade-off of making you safer in rare high acceleration incidents.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Quote Originally Posted by 03fan View Post
    It allows you to place ballast in other spots to improve the handling of the car. It is an advantage.
    Achievement of proper weight percentage isn't really an issue now, so that isn't a big deal.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -3
    Atomic - 2
    Moler - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    They don't enforce titanium now. Plenty of Ti rods in engines. Most likely used in other less spendy places as well.
    go to eldora, check bumpers, bolts, and side crash bars, you'll find it