Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What is going on with Billy Ogle? He is my all time favorite

Let’s just keep it as health issues. One of his aunts is caring for him.

I hate to hear that for Billy........he was always cool to talk to in the pits and always seemed appreciative of his opportunity to drive a Slm.

If anyone knows him first hand and or gets a chance to talk to him or his aunt first hand please pass along prayers and let him know people care and hope he gets to feeling better.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

BBQ:
    Clean out your pm,s

Well if you want to talk about the past you could go to Boyd's on Friday night in the late 70s an see Charlie Hughes,Doug kenimer,Billy Thomas,Snooks Defoor driving for Bob Wright,Ronnie Johnson just starting out,Charlie Mintz,Buck Simmons he drove for Bob Wright too all these plus more on any Friday night.You know Charlie Hughes an Doug Kenimer both won the World in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    Well if you want to talk about the past you could go to Boyd's on Friday night in the late 70s an see Charlie Hughes,Doug kenimer,Billy Thomas,Snooks Defoor driving for Bob Wright,Ronnie Johnson just starting out,Charlie Mintz,Buck Simmons he drove for Bob Wright too all these plus more on any Friday night.You know Charlie Hughes an Doug Kenimer both won the World in the 70s.
    Back to back years. 39 FOREVER!

I remember those guys as well. Also when the cars started to change from 55-57 bodies going to falcons & Chevy ll’s- one night at the old Davey Crockett Raceway in Rogersville, Tn. Ronnie Johnson showed up in his #5 with a Corvair body on his car. It looked so radical - the locals tried to say it was illegal. Can’t remember if he won that night or not- but it was bad fast & sure looked different.

That was the first car Ronnie had he bought it from Mike Head I don't remember that race track I do remember the one at Newport.

Davey Crockett was just west of Rogersville, Tn. about 1/4 mile past the existing Cherokee Dragstrip. Just off the old 2 lane Hwy. 11-W. Best racing red clay I have ever seen anywhere. They races from early March till November cold would set in. When Volunteer Speedway was built in Bulls Gap the 2 tracks agreed to alternate between Friday & Saturday nights on rotating weeks. After a short time Volunteer owner/builder decided to race only on Saturday’s and this was the eventual closing of Davey Crockett. Since that time Volunteer has removed red clay from the Davey Crockett Track on numerous occasions. Hated to see it go -but facility wise it compared to the “old” fairgrounds racetrack in Newport. When Volunteer opened in 1974 it was like the White House compared to an outhouse facility wise.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    That was the first car Ronnie had he bought it from Mike Head I don't remember that race track I do remember the one at Newport.
    What about the asphalt track at Newport is it still open or has it been closed down ?

The asphalt track hasn’t been opened in a couple of years. It was originally built as a dirt track some years after Volunteer was built. Quite a bit longer straightaways than Volunteer. It was fairly successful but at that time East Tennessee was over saturated with dirt tracks. Seems like the builder of the “new” Newport Track was a guy named Moore. He was a county official in some way (maybe road superintendent) anyway county equipment & materials were partially used to build it. There was a big stink over it & it was sold to a guy named Drew from California. It went from dirt to asphalt & during this time he opened a junkyard on the property & the junkyard eventually took over the entire area of the Track including outside pits & spectator parking. It has attempted to reopen several times over the past few years -but with no luck. It was a very nice facility & Track when first built- but no repairs were made as the facility aged & weather tools it’s toll. The junkyard became the primary business with the track just a sideline.

Do you guys really have me curious about billy ogles health condition as I have not heard about this prior to now

Billy is fine.His father recently past & bill owned lots of rental homes & apartment communities in knoxville.Billy is now overseeing all of that.In fact he is currently living in his father's old house.Unless something has changed in the past 3 months Billy is just really busy with work.Billy has never owned his race cars he has always drove for somebody the past 30 years.Theres just not any rides out there like they used to be.

Glad to hear things are better for Billy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by B_K View Post
    Was running Moran down the last ten laps or so too.
    Yes,he was. I remember him saying "Hey, 50 thousand dollars is a lot of money" in the post race interview. He was tickled to run 2nd and get that payday,but you know he would've liked to see another caution.
    Formerly 66#1

CJ could set one up to run eldora if Jeff purvis had listened to CJ he would be the only one too win eldora 3 times in a row.

Thanks Hustle

Where were they when they did the Jack Boggs interview they have on dirt on dirt? What track?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I think that interview came from www.dirtstation.com

The track looked like the old atomic in Tennessee.

Dirt station has a pretty good collection of new and old races. 3 month sub is like $26 and a yearly is $70 I believe. It might be the only way us dirt heads will get our fix in the coming month sadly. I normally get it in the winter to pass some time on those snowy or dreary days.

Jackie sure does look like his dad the older he gets.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 03-18-2020 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Where were they when they did the Jack Boggs interview they have on dirt on dirt? What track?
    Atomic Speedway in Tennessee
    Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis