Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Most improbable win ever? Not by a long shot. Try Wolfie winning FROM THREE LAPS DOWN. Shortly after he recovered from getting burned to a crisp at Lakeside, during the WoO lawsuit era when he was essentially banned from making a living racing, mid-90's. Can't remember if it was IMCA or ASCS, but it happened at a track that is a 'burb now just south of Royce City, TX. N. Tex Motor Speedway, 1/4 mile, wide, racy, flat, dry track everybody loved. You don't win a thirty to forty lap sprint car race from ONE lap down, let alone three, regardless of the strength of competition.

I don't know why anyone would trash the place. The track was closed before I got into Late Models, but it looks really cool. A couple of the guys on here have told some good stories of the history of the track. I think having a stream running through it makes it even cooler. I really hope they get the track restored and have some good racing there. It's a lot different than the usual tracks. I'd consider making the run up there if they get it done.

Pennsboro, you being a neighbor of the place I sure hope your wrong about them making 1 and 2 shorter. I thought the speed and getting thru 3 and 4 would be addressed first

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    All I hear is how the place produces poor racing with no passing. This is the same track that Jim Dunn started last and passed the best in the sport to win? Yes/No ?
    Yes. Dunn did that in 1981 before the wedge came along. Those 1981 late models are like street stocks. So track might be good for street stocks.

The Dunn car below had a lot of wedge type down force with the plexiglass side board and spoiler being quite large. Plus the right front air catcher to reduce pushing.

This is Dunn at the DTWC in 1981. Wish I could had found a smaller picture to post as it always is aggrevating to have to scroll left and right to read the posts.
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 07-12-2023 at 03:41 PM.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Dunn died at Paducah Speedway on a horribly dusty track that was so dangerous that cars could not see a spin out in time to miss it. His car burnt up with him not getting out.

Here is a pic of the bridges on the race track.

I think Dunn hit one of those bridges early and had to repair the car before the features.
    Last edited by Buford.Justice; 07-11-2023 at 09:03 PM.

I’m fairly certain I still have an unpaid parking ticket from the 1989 DTWC.

One of if not the most unique track shapes ,in DLM history ! ! Back in the day it was called " The Darlington of dirt racing " so why change the configuration ? ? I recall how some teams tried to set up to be fast in turns 1 and 2 and others tried to make the car be better in 3 and 4 and hope they outsmarted the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    One of if not the most unique track shapes ,in DLM history ! ! Back in the day it was called " The Darlington of dirt racing " so why change the configuration ? ? I recall how some teams tried to set up to be fast in turns 1 and 2 and others tried to make the car be better in 3 and 4 and hope they outsmarted the others.
    Because it’s flat and narrow. There wasn’t passing then, there would be even less now with the cars the way they are. Then people would b!tch and it’ll be dead and gone again.

Yea, let's not give it a chance. Just start early b*thing about the place so when something doesn't work for you you can stick your d*ck out and say nah nah told you so. If you don't go, or if you have never been there, STFU.