Default Modern Chassis design

I'm thinking about next year already by trying to get a loose plan together. I thought about either building another car, clipping mine again, or just buying one from a popular manufacture. I had not decided which one yet, and In not even sure how much it even matters at this day and age. I've seen them all win and all crash at some point.
    in order to get some information I've struck up some conversations and one of those has my hackles up. To put bluntly, one builder says, and I paraphrase.
    "design...it really doesn't matter these days because of the we race them. Nose down, ass up, use the springs to keep the car off the ground and tune the shocks to get around the corners. Let the body be the aero. We used to move bars and steering geometries and everything but we mostly pick a posture and build around that. We offer support on our car to get guys going in the right directions but in the end, you'll end up giving the car what it wants anyway, It's up to you to figure out what that is and what that looks like for you"

I found this intriguing and on a simplistic philosophy, do we spend too much time and effort thinking there is some big differences that mean wins and losses? If we apply the same to an older car, do we not get to the same place?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    I'm thinking about next year already by trying to get a loose plan together. I thought about either building another car, clipping mine again, or just buying one from a popular manufacture. I had not decided which one yet, and In not even sure how much it even matters at this day and age. I've seen them all win and all crash at some point.
    in order to get some information I've struck up some conversations and one of those has my hackles up. To put bluntly, one builder says, and I paraphrase.
    "design...it really doesn't matter these days because of the we race them. Nose down, ass up, use the springs to keep the car off the ground and tune the shocks to get around the corners. Let the body be the aero. We used to move bars and steering geometries and everything but we mostly pick a posture and build around that. We offer support on our car to get guys going in the right directions but in the end, you'll end up giving the car what it wants anyway, It's up to you to figure out what that is and what that looks like for you"

I found this intriguing and on a simplistic philosophy, do we spend too much time and effort thinking there is some big differences that mean wins and losses? If we apply the same to an older car, do we not get to the same place?
    If you treat an old car the same, yes you will get to the same place.

Are there places to make big gains? Yes, most definitely. But you are gonna find those on your own, no matter if it's a new car or an old one. Depending on your know how or ability to test, the newer car may get you a little closer than starting at ground zero.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2