Default Lightweight oil line

Have any of you guys used the Aeroquip starlite hoses for building oil lines? I tried it out and thought it worked pretty well.... until I took one back apart after a few races and the inside was disintegrated. Maybe I installed the fitting wrong? Any body have the same issue? (note: this isn't the crimped ends, it is using the reusable fittings)

Quote Originally Posted by Burke1118 View Post
    Have any of you guys used the Aeroquip starlite hoses for building oil lines? I tried it out and thought it worked pretty well.... until I took one back apart after a few races and the inside was disintegrated. Maybe I installed the fitting wrong? Any body have the same issue? (note: this isn't the crimped ends, it is using the reusable fittings)
    I haven't used any in a while, but what exactly went wrong with the hose?

1. Did you use areoquip ends? or some no name brand? I've had trouble before mixing brands of hose and ends but generally they just don't grip correctly due to different diameters/specs

2. Disintegrated: where? by the fittings or elsewhere in the hose not near a fitting?

3. You said oil line in title so assume just oil system. Just checking on fluid type in hose or possible temperature exceeding the 300 degree's

4. Any possibility of counterfeit hose? Get off amazon or someplace that is common?
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 11-11-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I haven't used any in a while, but what exactly went wrong with the hose?
    I think this is a relatively new kind of line. Or atleast thats what the guy at the parts house said. Its that black cloth stuff.
    1. Did you use areoquip ends? or some no name brand? I've had trouble before mixing brands of hose and ends but generally they just don't grip correctly due to different diameters/specs
    They were misc fittings as well.
    2. Disintegrated: where? by the fittings or elsewhere in the hose not near a fitting?
    Right where the line started getting swaged between the two pieces of the fitting.
    3. You said oil line in title so assume just oil system. Just checking on fluid type in hose or possible temperature exceeding the 300 degree's
    Yeah just a dry sump line.
    4. Any possibility of counterfeit hose? Get off amazon or someplace that is common?
    No it was a real one. Bought from reputable dealer of aeroquipt

I would say it was installation or the fittings, if the damage was at the fitting end. I would say to cut off the end of the hose and reinstall the fitting and remove and inspect if the damage is there again. I'll bet it was the fitting or wasn't lubed or installed 100% right.

There are a lot of Chinese AN fitting out there private brand, they IMO are mostly junk and fail easily or are off on size. Go with a brand name fitting, I prefer to use the same brand as the hose being used. Many of the house brand stuff is that JUNK.

*Side note, not all chinese stuff is junk but the AN fitting I've seen almost always are especially the angled/45 or 90 degree ones with the swivels as they don't seal on the swivel part and either leak or suck oil and starve a engine and BOOM. NOT WORTH THE RISK!
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 11-11-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Crimp fittings are what I have always seen used with that hose FWIW, it is spec'ed for reusable although. I'd bet on lube inadequate during assembly. https://aeroquipperformance.com/file...e+Fittings.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by CCHIEF View Post
    Crimp fittings are what I have always seen used with that hose FWIW, it is spec'ed for reusable although. I'd bet on lube inadequate during assembly. https://aeroquipperformance.com/file...e+Fittings.pdf
    Thanks for that. The only way to crimp the ends is have a friend who has the 2,000$ crimping tool right?

harbor freight sells a manual crimp tool pretty cheap that works well.....

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    harbor freight sells a manual crimp tool pretty cheap that works well.....
    any chance you have a link to that?

starlite hose needs there crimp ends . look at lefthander chassis .com they have all the correct fittings . a number 12 90 degree is 013-4235 and is $33.49.

"Aeroquip StartLiteᆴ Racing Hose has pre-dyed black Nomex cover for fade-resistant appearance, KEVLARŪ to the fire-retardant Nomex cover increases its abrasion resistance and overall hose strength. This hose assembly is up to 45 percent lighter in weight than conventional high performance assemblies. Temperature range of -45 to 300 degrees F, Approved with reusable or lightweight crimp fittings. Patented AQP elastomer smooth bore inner tube. Applications include fuel, lube, coolant and air lines"
    The MFG says you can use the reusable ends. Not sure if you are saying that you don't believe that they are made to allow the reusable fittings, or if you acknowledge that they claim that you can use the reusables, but in practice it just doesn't work.
    Last edited by Burke1118; 11-14-2019 at 06:57 AM.