Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tb1545 View Post
    There is a huge distinction between the chassis manufacturers games of "copying" each others designs as the 4m know it alls put it and what the dixie metal works guys were doing. The manufacturers get their hands on someone elses chassis, they do take the good ideas from it, but they but their own tweaks on it to make it their own design and market it as such. They put their own thoughts on how to make it better and what materials to use where went into it.
    What the dixie outfit was doing (until they changed all their posts) was they were selling a 2017 Longhorn by Dixie metal works. That would imply that they were either a dealer for longhorn or had permission to make a longhorn chassis, both of which they were not. They also have pictures on their facebook page thanking different guys for bringing their chassis in so they could copy it. I understand repairs and things, but advertising copying someone elses work doesnt usually settle well with most racers.
    What they did was very wrong, as you stated. But the making it something of their own is not how it has always gone in this game...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Mark Richards posted here a few weeks ago to clear up info on sponsoring a provisional at the Pittsburgher.

I agree with President Clinton (shockingly lol) is there a copy right? Who's to say I can't buy a car from xxx chassis maker whether it's new or previously raced (maybe a house car) and build my own exact copy using measurements and dimensions. You can build 20 cars altogether in a row with the same parts and materials and they all won't drive the same.

Quote Originally Posted by President Clinton View Post
    Is there a copyright on chassis????
    If a builder applied for a copyright for their chassis, yes.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    So gullible........good grief.

Good one blackie
    .............................lol

Good one BBQ.
    8/13/16

What exactly is proprietary in welding tubing together??? Can you even get a patent???

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    I believe they were referring to the brands that they make bumpers and such for
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I thought it was just bumpers and components for those cars?
    Very possible. I would be shocked if true. Especially Bloomquist chassis.
    8/13/16

I guess the only way to know if a car is true to it's original chassis maker is the numbers on the chassis???

Quote Originally Posted by President Clinton View Post
    What exactly is proprietary in welding tubing together??? Can you even get a patent???
    I highly doubt it but even if you can you could copy the, car and make one body brace one degree of an angle different the say its not a copy...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    If a builder applied for a copyright for their chassis, yes.
    Wouldn't it be a patent instead of a copywrite? I was under the opinion that a copywrite protected the name of something ........like the mcnugget or Tide soap or whatever?

Lot of people have those same things they just can't call them that? It's more of a question, im not sure.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

If we can get enough orders, I will hire a welder and fabricator and copy/build Longhorn or Rockets and take my chances in front of a jury!!!! Place your order now

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Very possible. I would be shocked if true. Especially Bloomquist chassis.
    The guy used to work for Bloomer.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Heck Randy Sweet and CJ Rayburn should be suing everyone????????

Copyrights on Engineering proposals or plans protect your intellectual property. So a set up manual for it would be covered.

Prime example is the architect that pitched an idea for a sports themed park to Disney they passed but years later built a themed park. He won $248 million from Disney. So the debate is would a copyright if they had one on the design drawings cover it?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Wouldn't it be a patent instead of a copywrite? I was under the opinion that a copywrite protected the name of something ........like the mcnugget or Tide soap or whatever?

Lot of people have those same things they just can't call them that? It's more of a question, im not sure.
    I think you’re probably right, it probably would be a patent. Thing is, you want to be competitve in the chassis business, you’re going to be making pretty major changes to whatever design fairly often, and I’d imagine that would have implications on the patent if they had one.

Getting a patent/copyright/trademark isn’t particularly expensive, but the process itself can be a bit of a pain in the ass. I could see it not really being worth the time in a constantly evolving business.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    No big deal. The XR1 is also a copy of a Longhorn...lol
    Sure it is, just keep repeating yourself. Must really blow when the XR1 has won both championships and placed top 3 or better in the World and the DTWC.

I asked larry shaw a long time ago why he did not apply for a patent and he said it would be to easy to break, change a few bars that are irrelevant and you have a new product....

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Sure it is, just keep repeating yourself. Must really blow when the XR1 has won both championships and placed top 3 or better in the World and the DTWC.
    Its like man and woman. Same creator.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

The thing that bothers me about these cars, they're not professionally made. They look nice sitting there, i just wonder how safe they really are?

I seen a price, a bare frame was 5600, which is dirt cheap. But again, how safe are they?

Who sez the guys that weld other chassis are professional? There aren't any credntials required... you need electricity, gas, a welder and tubing.

And $5600 is about right for a bare late model chassis unless it's the latest boutique piece...

BTW... I'm now taking orders for repop'd obsolete Mastersbilt chassis' without the updates.
    Last edited by Krooser; 10-27-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Who sez the guys jay weld other chassis are professional? There aren't any credntials required... you need electricity, gas, a welder and tubing.

And $5600 is about right for a bare late model chassis unless it's the latest boutique piece...

BTW... I'm now taking orders for repop'd obsolete Mastersbilt chassis' without the updates.
    I have to laugh at how critcal people are on here sometimes.

So youre saying i could go get a job at longhorn welding cars together on a daily basis, even though i dont know jack sh!t about welding and you would buy it? Cuz we know what that would look like after its done.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 10-27-2017 at 02:17 AM.