Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

He owes nothing to anyone.

Anyways - saw him 1st at Cedar Lake in 1988; swept the weekend and the next few years through 1993 - with the exception of 1991 when Rick Aukland won. One of the best years ever in 2010 - and yes he got screwed at Cedar Lake during the natty's (no offense to Bloomquist - track f'd up).

One of the cleanest drivers ever; and one of the most classy.

I do hope he starts helping Jr..

Out in Arizona he will be closer to Dumont Dunes and Glamis. Those were a couple of locations as well as Pismo where he can take his sand toys and play. I did that from 72 until I moved out of Cali, playin in the dunes is ultra addictive and so much fun, the "Zona" is a pretty cool place to retire if you can handle the heat. Thanks for the memories Mr. Moyer!

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer

Quote Originally Posted by NeedforLM$peed View Post
    I don't think it affects Jr. anyway he has his own house and race shop.
    Maybe off topic, but if/when Jr. ever wins a crown jewel, the fans will tear the place down. (especially if it happens at Eldora)

DOD. Coverage never stops. Exclusive stories. Moyer's had a career, you would think a reputable source for info like this would have the scoop on what's next in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    DOD. Coverage never stops. Exclusive stories. Moyer's had a career, you would think a reputable source for info like this would have the scoop on what's next in his career.
    They've already done story's and interviews the last three times he retired lol. They may be a little gunshy at this point

Billy has been a standout talent and an asset and credit to dirt late model racing, and by all accounts a solid human being and a class act.

Whatever he decides to do it is sure to be something that he can be proud of.
    Last edited by CIRF; 06-25-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Billy has been a standout talent and an asset and credit to dirt late model, and by all accounts a solid human being and a class act.

Whatever he decides to do it is sure to be something that he can be proud of.
    Great post spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    They've already done story's and interviews the last three times he retired lol. They may be a little gunshy at this point
    I don't believe I ever heard him say the word "retire" when discussing his future plans. That is on the media folks and the rumor mill for twisting his words. I think he pointed this out in an interview awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by ImCryn2 View Post
    I don't believe I ever heard him say the word "retire" when discussing his future plans. That is on the media folks and the rumor mill for twisting his words. I think he pointed this out in an interview awhile back.
    https://racingnews.co/2019/09/06/bil...-speedway/amp/
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I don't think the guy is going away. He can't stay still. Doubt he's going to Arizona to play golf!

Maybe kept an eye on him more than most. He was a youngster out of Des Moines following Don Hoffman, Bill Rice, Rocky Hodges and a few others to my home town track whenever Iowa State Fair Speedway rained out. Nothing better as a kid to be at the top of the county fairgrounds bleachers to see who was showing up when rain hit Des Moines, Omaha, and Eastern Iowa on a Saturday night.

Guess that feeling of Moyer showing up during my travels never changed. Felt like it lent credibility to the event and facility. And if he finished second, you know the guy that won went home feeling good that he "beat moyer".

a lot of other thoughts. like i have probably seen him win more travelling shows than any other racer when i've been in attendance.

last call: a special night. took five dirt track newbies to a summer nationals race at hales corners. they had a ball. we were last to leave the parking lot trying to sober up before hitting the road home. Billy is leaving the track driving the toter after another win. he stops in the parking lot to check something. my drunken friends swarm him. After cautious introductions and praise heaped on for his efforts that night Mr. Moyer shook all hands with that grin of his and headed on down the road for another day at work.

Wishing him the best in whatever his future brings. Feel privileged to have witnessed his career.
    Last edited by klemmabyna; 06-25-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

At worst he is the 2nd best ever. Purely depends on opinion between Bloomer and Moyer. I remember going to the North South in mid 90’s and being stunned that Moyer ran 16th. Up to then I think every race I saw him at in Illinois he was top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by klemmabyna View Post
    And if he finished second, you know the guy that won went home feeling good that he "beat moyer".
    Back in the day for me, that would have been epic “Moyer” battles with Ken Essary and Larry Phillips at Bolivar, Lebanon, and Monett.

Glad I snagged that Billy Moyer door panel 2 years ago. I new this time was getting close.
    8/13/16

Yeah, I have a Billy Moyer door hanging on the wall of my man cave. I didn't start following Late Models until the mid 90's but when he showed up around here he was the man taking home the $$ and the trophy. I hope the business he joined/bought in Arizona is racing related.

Would go to Wednesday night shows at Osky in the late 70's (I was probably 8,9 years old) and sit in the infield baseball bleachers to watch the races. Remember Billy spinning and about hitting the light pole a couple of weeks in a row. I told my buddy 'if I can't drive any better than him I will quit'...I am fairly sure I should have just never strapped in a car from that point...Congrats to Moyer on the stellar career, and thanks to their family for the help they always gave when needed (Bill Moyer helped my dad with parts several times when he needed something at the track).

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    The one article points out he will retire from full time racing, which I think he has since then.
    I will say that now I have saw it in his own words, I previously had not. I know in an interview I listened to at some point Moyer called out whoever was interviewing him and said that he had not used that statement and I believed it because I hadn't heard/seen it myself at that point. Your links prove that statement (and myself) wrong.

Sadly, no good tracks in AZ anymore either. Glad I was able to see his last win at Davenport Speedway earlier this year.