Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tire spring load

When using the Tire Pro from Boydbilt, how do you correlate that measurement to your spring load?

How do you equate the Boyds measurement to the on-track stiffness? Is that "blow up effect' of the centrifugal force during spinning a simple preload? Or, does that tension on the nylon actually impact the on-track rate?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    How do you equate the Boyds measurement to the on-track stiffness? Is that "blow up effect' of the centrifugal force during spinning a simple preload? Or, does that tension on the nylon actually impact the on-track rate?
    I'm thinking the same people that buy this machine will be the ones complaining about not being able to afford to keep up with the big teams while Throwing money in all the wrong directions. Smh

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    I'm thinking the same people that buy this machine will be the ones complaining about not being able to afford to keep up with the big teams while Throwing money in all the wrong directions. Smh
    You are speaking my language.

If I was manufacturing tires, I'd probably consider it. But then, I'd have something much more elaborate from MTS or Instron. For now, I'll keep looking for "build at home" ways to improve the cars until that's completely illegal.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Is it not a device to get a little closer to consistent setups?

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Is it not a device to get a little closer to consistent setups?
    Depending on tire variations batch to batch, maybe. If you can buy hundreds and sell the ones you don't think test right. I don't see many people having a legit use for this as far as bang for buck.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I'd say the ranges in 1 single tire could be huge just depending on where you check it. The things aren't even round.

In the test they published, on 4 tires, the spring load was 60-130 lbs difference!

In my thinking, what kinda difference does it take for a good driver to feel!

In the test they published, on 4 tires, the spring load was 60-130 lbs difference!

In my thinking, what kinda difference does it take for a good driver to feel!
    I change tires all the time and car doesn't go to hell.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

In the test they published, on 4 tires, the spring load was 60-130 lbs difference!In my thinking, what kinda difference does it take for a good driver to feel!
    Take your shorter RR spring from Raceknowhow, your special matched set from the tire smasher, and I expect to see you running upfront at the World 100 this year!

If that is all they was off, then they got a really good matched set of tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke1118 View Post
    Take your shorter RR spring from Raceknowhow, your special matched set from the tire smasher, and I expect to see you running upfront at the World 100 this year!
    Expect you cant see much with your head up your Winters!

Expect you cant see much with your head up your Winters!
    Says the one who makes thinks an 8” spring gives you more sidebite lololol. But hey, when all else fails, make rearend jokes…… 👍🏻

I'm curious what the machine says between a new tire and one with 100 laps on it, an molested one, and a sipped only one, and a cut one.
    Then I want to find a dirt track that's consistence enough from night to night, lap to lap for it to matter.
    Then I want too see Davenport or the like do an A-B-A blind testing.

Without that, it's just marketing noise.
    Not much difference then this spring rebound/histeria theory. In the dirt modified world, lots of those guys are replacing spring every 10 nights with $150/each springs because they feel the rebound goes away but can't be tested for.
    Like tires, tires are bigger springs than the springs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    I'm curious what the machine says between a new tire and one with 100 laps on it, an molested one, and a sipped only one, and a cut one. Then I want to find a dirt track that's consistence enough from night to night, lap to lap for it to matter. Then I want too see Davenport or the like do an A-B-A blind testing.Without that, it's just marketing noise. Not much difference then this spring rebound/histeria theory. In the dirt modified world, lots of those guys are replacing spring every 10 nights with $150/each springs because they feel the rebound goes away but can't be tested for. Like tires, tires are bigger springs than the springs are.
    My question is how is compressing a tire vertically on a flat surface while stationary even remotely relevant to any condition seen on the car lol

Dirt tracks are often very rutted out and ruff by the time the feature happens. The track is usually in the process of developing a black streak, or maybe it already has a black streak most of the way through both corners by feature time. I have long believed that the very best drivers have a learned insticnt for how much corner speed the tires can handle through the corner without slipping too much. I also believe the same drivers have a much better than average feel for how much throttle thet tires can handle without too much spin. Both these things being said, these new chassis give the buyer alot of good info on spring loads, and these setup helps really help to make the cars better, but I will always belive that an elite driver is required in order to win big events. I believe the same group of elite drivers that are winning today could also win 30 years ago in the cars that were current in this ear.

Says the one who makes thinks an 8” spring gives you more sidebite lololol. But hey, when all else fails, make rearend jokes…… 👍🏻

NEVER said it did! Guees you failed reading comprehension as well!

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    If that is all they was off, then they got a really good matched set of tires.
    How much difference does it take for an elite driver to notice the difference?

Guees you failed reading comprehension as well!
    Just stop guy.. rule 1 of sh*t talking on message boards: if you’re gonna critique someone’s reading/spelling/grammar (which is about the lowest level of insult possible) you HAVE to spell everything right in your post…… please go back to the tailgate section and talk about locking up Hillary and leave the Racecar talk to the people like MBR, Billet, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    My question is how is compressing a tire vertically on a flat surface while stationary even remotely relevant to any condition seen on the car lol
    Excellent point.
    Kinda like when weight distribution was set by 2x4's under the LR tire, kind of like when static scaling was all we knew, today we measure the loads differently, perhaps more accurately, I suppose tomorrow we realize that our "load numbers" don't 100 percent equate the various loads on the track either. For now, it' what we know and have the ability to do at home.