Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It would be way to big of a track for dirt imo...

Sad to say nothing will be done to n wilkesboro. Its just a bunch of big wheels that keep it from happining thinking of themselves and not the history or fans.

2021 nascar schedule should be interesting
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    2021 nascar schedule should be interesting
    I wonder if they will actually do things right and go to some more short tracks or the old historical ones. I read the rumor of a street course in a big city. That is complete opposite of what they need IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by thexfactor0210 View Post
    I wonder if they will actually do things right and go to some more short tracks or the old historical ones. I read the rumor of a street course in a big city. That is complete opposite of what they need IMO.
    Problem is from I've heard is that some of these tracks people "wish" they would go to don't have the amenities too hold such an event. At first I believe it was Iowa and Kentucky that could hold a truck race or Xfinity race but couldn't have a cup date until upgrades were made not only to the track but the area as well ie roads, parking, lodging and restaurants
    IF YOU AINT WINNING YOU PROBABLY AINT LEADING!

People are always talking about how small the crowds are, but there are still a sh!t load of people at every race

It would be way to big of a track for dirt imo...
    .625 mile? That's just barely bigger than a half mile. I think Gaffney was nearly that size, maybe just a smidgen under. What's the size of Knoxville? We're not talking about racing go karts here. Anyway, for a special venue, you'd want it to be a bit bigger and a bit different than all the cookie cutter go kart tracks that we mostly have today.

Sad to say nothing will be done to n wilkesboro. Its just a bunch of big wheels that keep it from happining thinking of themselves and not the history or fans.
    That's why I say, you'd probably need someone like Forrest Lucas or Bruton Smith. They could make something like this happen. Of course, that's assuming they'd have any reason to want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan2k4 View Post
    .625 mile? That's just barely bigger than a half mile. I think Gaffney was nearly that size, maybe just a smidgen under. What's the size of Knoxville? We're not talking about racing go karts here. Anyway, for a special venue, you'd want it to be a bit bigger and a bit different than all the cookie cutter go kart tracks that we mostly have today.

That's why I say, you'd probably need someone like Forrest Lucas or Bruton Smith. They could make something like this happen. Of course, that's assuming they'd have any reason to want to.

.625 is 5/8. That’s original WVMS or original Golden Isles size, meaning quite a bit bigger than Knoxville.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPPING SIDEWAYS View Post
    Problem is from I've heard is that some of these tracks people "wish" they would go to don't have the amenities too hold such an event. At first I believe it was Iowa and Kentucky that could hold a truck race or Xfinity race but couldn't have a cup date until upgrades were made not only to the track but the area as well ie roads, parking, lodging and restaurants
    You are probably right in that aspect, though it would be awesome just to try it again. I wonder what the response would be if they held a race at Rockingham or Wilkesboro. Let fans camp and grill out and buy food there. Dont worry about hotels and fancy restaurants and facilities. It could be a true throwback weekend. I know it is a much smaller scale but it works at Eldora several times a year.

I know lots of people bash nascar but I would support the hell of out of something like that because I wanna see all forms of racing do well.

I read where Dale Junior said he would race Nashville if they brought it back. We know for sure he would race at one of the north carolina tracks. Heck i am sure you could get stewart and a few others out too. The response could be huge.

I believe the owners of rockingham are going to run some races at least that was there plan when they purchased it. They had a big music shin dig there this yr but the weather stunk up the show. They had severe weather and damaging wind that wknd. It was a 3 day show.

meaning quite a bit bigger than Knoxville.
    An eighth of a mile is not exactly what I would consider "quite a bit bigger". Yes, it would be a little bit bigger than any of the other current dirt tracks out there now, but that's the idea. What I would envision would be a special venue. You'd want to be unique. You'd want to be different than the norm. That's how you create something special. That's how you set your product apart from what everyone else is offering. That's part of the problem with racing today, and why fans are losing interest, too much of the same old same old, and no one willing to think outside the box.

As for the side track discussion here about Nascar going back to places like this, forget it. There's a reason they left. As others have already pointed out, these facilities, simply couldn't support the crowds. It's not a workable scenario, but turning it into a special venue for dirt late models and modifieds might be. With a seating capacity of ~40k, you could have big special events.

They couldn't support what the media requires either without major upgrades. Just because ratings are down along with attendance doesn't mean the need for anything is any less.

Before they shortened Cherokee it measured 5/8ths of a mile and I would totally be down to watch the late models and modifieds go wild at north Wilkesboro that would be pretty freaking sweet

PASS ran a big $75,000 to win show there in 2011. 77 cars came, but the fans did not. If it ain't NASCAR, it probably will not be worth doing, financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan2k4 View Post
    An eighth of a mile is not exactly what I would consider "quite a bit bigger". Yes, it would be a little bit bigger than any of the other current dirt tracks out there now, but that's the idea. What I would envision would be a special venue. You'd want to be unique. You'd want to be different than the norm. That's how you create something special. That's how you set your product apart from what everyone else is offering. That's part of the problem with racing today, and why fans are losing interest, too much of the same old same old, and no one willing to think outside the box.

As for the side track discussion here about Nascar going back to places like this, forget it. There's a reason they left. As others have already pointed out, these facilities, simply couldn't support the crowds. It's not a workable scenario, but turning it into a special venue for dirt late models and modifieds might be. With a seating capacity of ~40k, you could have big special events.
    There's a reason all the 5/8 tracks have downsized and keep downsizing. Car counts and fan interest at all of them dropped off. They require all the motor you can handle and more, and that's very expensive. And most races on tracks that big end up being very fast freight trains with massive amounts of attrition.

And the facilities at NW need massive updating/replacement, regardless of surface. We're talking millions of dollars. There is no scenario in which spending those millions turning it into a dirt track makes even a little bit of sense.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Yeah Josh I agree but nothing compares to watching Francis bounce it off the turn 4 wall at Mineral Wells

If my math is correct. It would take $1.65 mil just to put SAFER barrier around the track. That doesn't include any other areas that may be needed also.

Dang!...….them black ford drivers are gone again! smh

Default Zero

And I think he’s harmless. Was nice having him back.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Zero
    And I think he’s harmless. Was nice having him back.

Yes it was! He kept this place entertaining!