Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by d-glenn View Post
    Do you remember the Grand National Tour, which is Nascar today. Saw them run in Birmingham on dirt in 1952, drivers like Baker's, Petty's and Fireball Roberts, only 3 I remember.
    Dang, how old are you? I'm old but I wasn't around for that one.
    8/13/16

Younger than me...

I remember running the IMCA Modified "Florida Series" during Speedweeks 1981.

Had a homebuilt, second hand Mustang on top of a Torino chassis. I had a 133,000 mile 351-c under the hood with a reground cam.

IMCA suspended the engine claim rule and must have told everyone but me. I was 300hp down from the next slowest guy.

Blew the motor at New Smyrna on Thursday night, swapped to a Boss 351 I built for my street car, got busted by the Ocala cops when they spotted me and my buddy swapping motors behind Rustys Engine Service at 2AM. Got that sorted out by daylight.

We were set to run Lake City, Ocala, Gainesville (?), Volusia and New Smyrna. The first night was a rainout at Lake City so after installing the new engine we headed to Lake City for the makeup race.

The night before there was a big STARS LM/Sprint car double header. The promoter never watered or groomed the track so we started on a rutted up, dry slick oiled sand track.

The lack of track prep helped me as I transfered thru the heat, semi and last chance to make the main. Those Iowa guys couldn't believe I was passing them after they were lapping me at Volusia.

Got home without a quarter to our names. Fun times.
    Last edited by Krooser; 11-30-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Younger than me..
    Hold yer shorts there scooter. Are you 1952 Fireball Roberts like old???

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Dang, how old are you? I'm old but I wasn't around for that one.
    I have been around since August, 1938 and plan on being around for a few more...

ICE BOWL is next, then East Bay, Wed.-Sat.
    -------------------------
    See you down the road!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Hold yer shorts there scooter. Are you 1952 Fireball Roberts like old???
    Yes, he was driving an Olds. The dirt boys back then were Harold and Freddy Fryer from Chattanooga. Harold was killed in a racing accident in Hokes Bluff, AL, But I don't remember the date.

I have been around since August, 1938 and plan on being around for a few more...

Good for you. Cool you can still get to the track.
    8/13/16

D-glenn. Good for you, hope you have more to look forward to

We need to do a meet n greet at Eastbay!

I usually talk to Ga dirt but i didnt see him this year!

Well for you seniors I'll toss this one out there. Remember when, if the oil pressure was not cooperating you'd pull out the box of old bearings and get under the old 30 x 90 and down came the pan. Dry sump, what the h*ll was that ! To the bone yard Saturday morning to find a NEW motor. LOL, ah those were the greatest days of dirt track racing.

The dirt boys back then were Harold and Freddy Fryer from Chattanooga. Harold was killed in a racing accident in Hokes Bluff, AL, But I don't remember the date.
    Harold Died in 1971, Freddy continued racing until 1987. Freddy passed away in April of this year, he was 85 years old.
    Educatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Well for you seniors I'll toss this one out there. Remember when, if the oil pressure was not cooperating you'd pull out the box of old bearings and get under the old 30 x 90 and down came the pan. Dry sump, what the h*ll was that ! To the bone yard Saturday morning to find a NEW motor. LOL, ah those were the greatest days of dirt track racing.
    Remember Carl Kinser flipping Steves car on its side,at the car wash an putting a set of rod bearings in

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    We need to do a meet n greet at Eastbay!

I usually talk to Ga dirt but i didnt see him this year!
    Sounds good, I will be there on Wednesday-Saturday camping with a friend from MS.

GA DIRT (BB) has not need there in about 3 years, I talk to him often.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybird73 View Post
    Harold Died in 1971, Freddy continued racing until 1987. Freddy passed away in April of this year, he was 85 years old.
    Thanks for the information. Freddy was the man you had to beat on a Sunday afternoon in Birmingham back then...

Sounds good, I will be there on Wednesday-Saturday camping with a friend from MS.GA DIRT (BB) has not need there in about 3 years, I talk to him often.
    How is Mr Brown?

Quote Originally Posted by Hop along View Post
    How is Mr Brown?
    The last time I talked with him, he was doing good...

Remember when Santa Fe Speedway in Hinsdale IL was alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Younger than me...

I remember running the IMCA Modified "Florida Series" during Speedweeks 1981.

Had a homebuilt, second hand Mustang on top of a Torino chassis. I had a 133,000 mile 351-c under the hood with a reground cam.

IMCA suspended the engine claim rule and must have told everyone but me. I was 300hp down from the next slowest guy.

Blew the motor at New Smyrna on Thursday night, swapped to a Boss 351 I built for my street car, got busted by the Ocala cops when they spotted me and my buddy swapping motors behind Rustys Engine Service at 2AM. Got that sorted out by daylight.

We were set to run Lake City, Ocala, Gainesville (?), Volusia and New Smyrna. The first night was a rainout at Lake City so after installing the new engine we headed to Lake City for the makeup race.

The night before there was a big STARS LM/Sprint car double header. The promoter never watered or groomed the track so we started on a rutted up, dry slick oiled sand track.

The lack of track prep helped me as I transfered thru the heat, semi and last chance to make the main. Those Iowa guys couldn't believe I was passing them after they were lapping me at Volusia.

Got home without a quarter to our names. Fun times.
    Remember the Blue Gray 100 at Lake City?

Remember when some tracks had half time shows that always had some attraction that the whole family could enjoy. Sumo wrestling, mud wrestling, School bus races, track queen contests, 3 wheeler jumping contests, thrill drivers shows, classic cars night, head on street car crashes, and tight rope walkers just to name a few of the things could be enjoyed each week. Some nights it was like we went to a circus and a race broke out !

I remember a guy used to come around to our local tracks and get shot out of a cannon then blowed up with dynmite.Then there was the Joey Chitwood car stunt team.Im remembering 45/50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hop along View Post
    I remember a guy used to come around to our local tracks and get shot out of a cannon then blowed up with dynmite.Then there was the Joey Chitwood car stunt team.Im remembering 45/50 years ago.
    The stuff was still happening back in the 80’s at Flemington Speedway.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!